Exosuits

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by 630tiger, Aug 4, 2013.

?

Would you like to see exosuits in the game?

1. Yes, this sounds great!

248 vote(s)
    87.3%
  2. Yes, but not quite how you put it.

32 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. No, this doesn't have a place in Starbound.

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. 630tiger

630tiger Phantasmal Quasar

An exosuit is like a cross between Iron Man and a mech. It is a small humanoid mech that fully encases the pilot and directly responds to their motions. In Starbound piloting one would be just like walking around normally except for the height increase, and some other things depending on the suit.

Exosuits, first of all, are not gear. They are whole vehicles that you can enter and exit, and that you can not store in your inventory like armor. They would be repaired, built, and researched like mechs, though the research would also lead from normal armor.

So...why would you want an exosuit? First of all they provide an incredible armor boost without dampening your mobility much like normal mechs. Some exosuits would let you run faster, most jump higher, and some would come equipped with climbing abilities or jetpacks. They would have built-in weapons of various kinds along with special utilities, anything from invisibility to flashlights. Some exosuits would have that building ray gun too!

Ok, but that sounds way OP. So why would you not want an exosuit? Firstly, because while it does have all those abilities (not all at once of course, but depending on the model) they are still vehicles and probably won't fit through your front door. Unless you blew open a new one with it. In battle they would make you a bigger target and wouldn't stand up to a real combat mech, or just about any mechs' foot. They would also be very expensive and without a lot of the useful parts of normal vehicles, like storage or advanced mining or real firepower. Lastly, you would not have any of your personal gear or its effects (such as energy shielding, if they add that) around your suit, so you have only it to work with and maybe your blocks.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Brutaii

Brutaii Void-Bound Voyager

That would indeed be awesome. But it would be a late-late-late-late-late game feature, since it would totally dominate all other kinds of armor sets. Just my opinion though.

4. Facethelight

Facethelight Existential Complex

I now have a customer base to sell my "Bigger than usual doors!"
    Honestly, this idea made me squeal, I wanna run around in a humanoid suit with a huge sniper rifle cannon for an arm, and the ability to jump higher than most black basketball players.

Bughunter likes this.
  5. JoshF

JoshF Void-Bound Voyager

I like this and think it would be amazing. Essentially, it seems like it would be a light mech thats only a bit larger than a normal character and would either have combat or utility bonuses?

6. Monkeybiscuit

Monkeybiscuit Phantasmal Quasar

I really like this idea.

If the suits are too powerful or difficult to balance, just make them larger than a dungeon entrance. Say 3 blocks high instead of 2, so they can't fit in the door. That way people could free roam with them, and couldn't use them to bypass content intended to be challenging like dungeons.

Also I'd love a mining exosuit. Someone suggested a mining mech in another thread, but either way would be really sweet.

7. Brutaii

Brutaii Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, that would kinda balance it out.

8. Facethelight

Facethelight Existential Complex

Until i decide to blast a hole through the door.

9. 630tiger

In terms of firepower and durability, absolutely! You might also be able to jump out just before the suit is destroyed, leaving you with whatever armor you normally have and probably a full health bar. It would not have some of the mobility options of a player though, like ducking to hide behind a small wall, and most wouldn't have hand-held shields like players do. They are still a lot more powerful though, and so they would be a very late-game feature.

Wow, this is being received a lot better than I expected! Thanks guys!

10. 630tiger

Pretty much. It wouldn't look like a mech though, more like a big robot player. Much less vehicle-ey, though it is a vehicle.
    The bigger than a player thing is an essential part of the exosuit, for that very purpose. As Facethelight pointed out, your suit (depending on which one it is) would be able to tear its way through anyways, so it almost doesn't matter.
    Oh wait, there's that "dungeon protection" thing on the roadmap... Never mind, making the doorway short would work.
    Mining exosuits would be super useful, and would work having both them and a mining mech in the game. Mining mechs would be a lot less precise and a lot harder to get around, but they would be much tougher than exosuits and have extended storage capacity (which exosuits don't normally have). Mechs could also drill through much more ground at once, while a suit would go at a more player-like speed. Either way would still be sweet.

11. Monkeybiscuit

Monkeybiscuit Phantasmal Quasar

Yup but dungeon blocks aren't destructible until the dungeon has been cleared.

12. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

f there's a definitive purpose for having a tier between light mech and heavy player, then I would love to see exosuits, but currently i'm not sure about the range of scale that Starbound plans on providing and the advantages or disadvantages of an exosuit, perhaps a high-end exosuit might be an end game heavy infantry, with interchangable weapons but not allowing for a lot of the versatility of a medium infantry, in the form of abilities and even block placement. I see exosuits being a straight-up tank role, while my augmentation idea would provide a straight-up lightweight role.

13. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like how you weren't afraid to admit the downside.

Pseudoboss likes this.
  14. If you were to eject from the exosuit in the event of catastrophe, a possible downside might be not having armor/techs equipped. That way you're more or less dependent on the exosuit and its ability to protect you, instead of just tanking out and then going into normal-armor mode.

Pseudoboss likes this.
  15. Fullmetal Heart

Fullmetal Heart Yeah, You!

sounds great

16. Theros42

Theros42 Void-Bound Voyager

That sounds kinda cool, now would it be considered armor? Trying giving some examples of art,(besides pictures of iron man). I don't know make something up be creative I really like this idea. So keep working I already want more.

17. SpaceHyena

SpaceHyena Zero Gravity Genie

This could be really cool. There not much to say about this, besides that it sounds really cool. :D

18. Deshiva

Deshiva Master Chief

Im a fan of power armor, exo skels pretty much the same thing. So i love this idea.

19. Graystar

Graystar Space Spelunker

Sounds great for the harder worlds

20. Ironangel2k2

Ironangel2k2 Big Damn Hero

Theres a lot of variety when it comes to exoskeletons. Theres the human-sized type of exoskeleton, which is more akin to power armor, such as Iron Man suits or the Mjolnir armor worn by John 117 in the Halo series. Then you have larger exoskeletons which sit somewhere between power armor and pure mechs, such as the exo-suits from Avatar. Then you have something bigger than power armor, but smaller than a large exosuit, akin to the Silverback from Gears of War.

While I can see a purpose for powered armor as a late-game addition, and for mechs as a sort of heavy support role, the in-between of mobile weapons platforms that are less obvious and clumsy than mechs but more durable and deadly than a standard soldier has to be carefully balanced. I would not be opposed to it though, running around in an Avatar-esque exoskeleton would be crazy. You would just have to make it impossible to use them under certain conditions, and that sufficient penalties for their use are incurred.

As for a mining suit (Images of Ripley's power-loader that she fought the Alien queen in from the movie Alien spring to mind, but with more mining laser and less clamp), this would be awesome.

Lightning Runner and nababoo like this.