Race Cross breeding races & babies!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by polipbo, Aug 13, 2013.

?

Good or Bad / Inappropriate Idea?

Poll closed Sep 13, 2013.
  1. Good

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Bad

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Inappropriate

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. polipbo

polipbo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Procreating!
    Okay, okay weird idea but hear me out:
    Two players(/a player and an NPC) could 'have a child' (Nothing graphic or even visible it would just fade out) where after a few in-game time measurements (9 months?) a child would be born and would need to be raised.

Skills
    The child could be trained and taught in different skills which would effect there performance massively in the future (say if they are taught science as a child they would have significantly raised science later in life.

Possession
    The two players could pick who gets the child as a playable character (or the player would get it if it was with an NPC).

Looks & Culture
    Okay now for the good part:
    Lets say a Apex and Human had a child (Only two different races who can breed, until citation)it would have a 50% chance it would be Male/Female, a 50% chance of looking mainly Human/Novakid and a 25% chance of adopting Novakid or Human culture with the other 50% going to adopting the culture it was raised in.
    The latter would go towards clothing options, weapons/ships and other race specifics.
    The child would have combined (Balanced out) race stats of both parents aswell
    This would encourance 'perfect' breeding and unique (playable) children aswell as aid players who play permadeath/hardcore to carry legacy (as well as inheriting items?).

Human-Htoyl Fully Grown Crossbreed is attached to this post:

Attached Files:

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

TheTimeWulf likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It's not a bad idea, as such, but I can see a couple of issues. Firstly, this has been suggested many times before. Secondly, not all races would be able to interbreed. A human and a Novakid couldn't have kids, but a human and an Apex probably could. I doubt the Novakid, Florans and Glitch could breed with any other race.

Trenix, Model QT-377665 and polipbo like this.
  4. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

Well, I don't think it's innapropriate, but what are they going to call it? "Breed with 'John'?" sounds odd to me. Still it's a good idea andhas been mentioned before.

5. NovaTheKid

NovaTheKid Big Damn Hero

What about "Procreate with John"?

SPARTEN1337 X13 and polipbo like this.
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

"Get it on with John." Hey, that rhymes. :lolwut:

Katzeus and Zoolot like this.
  7. SnakeX

SnakeX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First off, there are no inherent skills to be passed on. Nor will there ever be. Second, it's just not a good idea. Ignoring the fact that calling it "breeding" is bizarre enough, it's an arbitrarily complex idea that would only add a lot of work for the developers in making extra sprites for whatever interspecies combination would get created. And for what purpose? Just to have it? Once again, there are no "race stats", no racial traits, absolutely nothing inherent to be passed on. If you want a specific race to wear the clothes of another, just go find them. Everyone can wear everything.

STCW262, Nerva, polipbo and 1 other person like this.
  8. polipbo

Thanks for the feedback... even you SnakeX.
    NovaTheKid thanks for the name idea, it would make the topic much less weird & Jonsey nice rhyming but a bit odd.
    And I think I may also change the topic to only work with npcs of similar or same race but adopt culture of home.
    SnakeX why are you so snide; there have been mentions of race specific stats and abilities, for example:
    Race only crafting (Until endgame?)(This is what I was saying about clothes/armor), race only ships, starter clothing (please look at the attached image and notice this human has Hotyl character creator starter clothing; I do agree however all races can wear the same stuff eventually but I am talking about to begin with, not endgame. ) and skills/skilltrees have been mentioned and race specific stats are possible.

9. polipbo

I might sprite some more babies and raised children

10. SnakeX

I'm not being snide. If you're going to post up suggestions you should be prepared for criticism. Not everyone is simply going to agree with everything that is posted here, that's why it's a discussion board and not simply a suggestion submission form. Don't take it personally.

And there are no race specific stats. None. The devs have made this very clear; they do not want any race to have any inherent traits at all so that they're all on equal footing. Any racial abilities are tied to armor and weapons, which are not locked to races. Nothing is locked to any race aside from ships, which are purely aesthetic. All recipes can be learned by every race, all clothes can be worn by every race, all items and weapons can be equipped by any race. Players may not be able to access other races' stuff until later, but they're not completely separated from them.

Seems to me that you're less interested in a baby-making mechanic but more interested in finding a way to circumvent having to wait to get other races' stuff. If you REALLY want starter clothing from someone else just have a friend make a character of that race with the clothes you want and trade with him/her. Or hope to get lucky and find/buy them early.

Messyart, Nerva and polipbo like this.
  11. polipbo

Okay sorry for calling you snide, I was fed false information about skill trees. I understand your constructive criticism.

12. SnakeX

No apologies necessary!

13. SPARTEN1337 X13

SPARTEN1337 X13 Big Damn Hero

0ne word, MODS!

14. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Jonesy likes this.
  15. Fishman

Fishman Master Chief

Glitch don't procreate, they build a child robot together.
    Novakid are beings made of plasma. I don't think you want a plasma mhm anywhere near your uhhuh.
    Floran are plants and appear to have obvious male/female with the body parts but there's probably a reason for the gender distinction not just being symbols.

Additionally generally speaking cross-species breeding doesn't really work the way you seem to think it does. Especially when the aliens in question aren't 'basically humans only from another planet'.

All in all I can't figure out exactly why you need to be a special snowflake half-Avian half-Saiyan half-Human when racial characteristics are granted by their respective armor sets instead of being inherent in the species.

Guest0241525, STCW262 and SnakeX like this.
  16. Lekslkr

Lekslkr Void-Bound Voyager

I doubt breeding would be possible, because each species has its own way of giving birth.
    Despite that, I would imagine enjoyable intercourse would be possible between most species.(Excluding... Personal, preferences.)

17. Zen Master

Zen Master Phantasmal Quasar

If you play as the child then you would inherit all of your previous characters items including your ship, alleviating the need for such complicated percentage stats. I would like to see the child inherit some of the parents traits like hair choice, a mix between skin etc.

Also canon jvNNSSI.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  18. Zen Master

Zen Master Phantasmal Quasar

As far as who could breed with whom, it depends on how realistic the Dev.s want the game to be and there is always the option to add an adoption mechanic. If they are going to work on relationships then that would be a fantastic option for same sex couples.

19. DragonSky11

DragonSky11 Master Chief

Yeah, I think there should be something like in Stardew valley. You can befriend a NPC character, and if you choose, become like their boyfriend/girlfriend (this would work with both genders; a boy can be in a relationship with a boy, and vise versa.) Then, you can get married. If you choose to breed, I think it there could be some kind of adoption thing for same sex couples. And I like the idea from earlier about Glitches building their child, Floreans planting a seed and a flower growing in which the kid comes out of, and so on.

Sprite 123 likes this.
  20. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

How would the entire idea of inter-species offspring work? The only ones that would probably even have SIMILAR genitalia would be Apex/Human, and even then, they're clearly different species, so they would only be able to have sex with each other, but not produce offspring. It gets even weirder with other species, such as Novakids (How is THAT case even done?) or Florans.