1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

[Boss Suggestion] Crab God/King/Lord

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Daimera, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

I'm moving this over to it's own thread so I don't continue to disrupt the actual stickied thread.

Test sprites. Maybe workable, probably too detailed. And too big. But a giant enemy crab should be truly giant.

[​IMG]
    Yes, same one I used to illustrate the Overlord, now with crustacean magnificence giantness tacked on. I'd also thrown the Brontopod on it because I wanted a size reference for myself on the little big guy. Look out, Commando!

I've attempted to animate an experimental idle animation as best as I could, but I don't quite care for it and it took me over four hours to get it to this point, so I'm probably going to have to pursue this later when I can figure out a way of animating larger sprites that A) looks nicer, and 8) is not physically painful to do.

In the mean time...

[​IMG]

...I tried. 8S

[​IMG] skitter [​IMG]
    I could have done more frames to the legs but it was getting hard figuring them all out, hahaha.

[​IMG] CRUNCH
    This one took quite a long time but I'm really happy with the result.

[​IMG] [​IMG]foam

[​IMG]
    This one's not on the list of stuff, but I wasn't sure how to do the shockwave attack (Vahn cleared it on stream, though, so now I know what to do). I still had this one mostly-done by the time I got around to asking, so here it is because I sorta like it, even if I'm inconsistent with how I choose to do motion blur.

[​IMG][​IMG]clack clack

[​IMG] :c

May make bonus eating animation because crabs eating is cute as heck, but I'm pretty sure I need a quick break.

• Jiaddo

Jiaddo Master Chief

This definitely needs to happen. More gimungo bosses.

• hextorHD

hextorHD Big Damn Hero

i like this sprite! but how this mob attack? its similar a giant stone golem? (and what program you used to create that sprite?)

• Giant enemy crab!
          The sprite looks awesome!

Wasd_wasd and hextorHD like this.
          • Rawrquaza

Rawrquaza Existential Complex

If you aren't against changing it, I suggest having one of his claws be huge, and the other smaller. That way he could use the big one to slam/crush as his attacks.
            [​IMG]
            [​IMG]

Wasd_wasd likes this.
            • Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

That'd really be up to Vahn, since this is more or less his babby. When I originally started blobbing out the shape of the body, I wanted to make him a fiddler, but then I looked in the forum and saw Vahn's sketch had the two claws even, so I left them even.

Changing the still to make one larger wouldn't be too big a problem in theory, though it would look very silly when it turns around and its larger claw magically changes sides, and re-animating every single animation for the other direction to keep the claw consistent is just something I don't want to think about considering how hard it is for me to make an animation for one side. :c

The attacks are in the quote link, the little up-arrow by Vahn's name in the quote box, but since that's hard to see, they're here. As for program, I used a combination of Adobe Photoshop 7 (for ease of color selection and to use Free Transform to help animate parts of that animation that I'm probably just going to scrap) and Adobe ImageReady 7 (like all my other sprites).

Wasd_wasd and Draken09 like this.
              • Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Wow that looks damn awesome daimera! Nah I don't think he'd look as badass if he had one giant claw and one baby one. Keep up the damn awesome work though!

• hextorHD

hextorHD Big Damn Hero

I see the attacks. Its like the crab of metal slug in risk of rain version! I like it,

and thanks 4 the program, lol I use pikle and my sprites sucks...

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

Walking animation up. Not the most elegant, but it's hard keeping track of that many legs, ahaha. =3=;;

Also, don't say your sprites suck, being hard on yourself isn't good for growth, but I don't blame you for being critical of them; spriting is a lot harder than people think. Just because a picture is small doesn't mean it's magically less work.

Draken09, hextorHD and Rawrquaza like this.
                    • Draken09

Draken09 Black Hole Surfer

What if during it's basic claw attack it kept moving (although slower), I would kinda like to see this be a more mobile boss (that isn't flying like the Vagrant).

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

I'm not exactly sure how I'd animate that. As for mobile bosses, you seem to have forgotten about the Toxic Beast, which deals passive trample damage while moving, which is fitting for a later-game boss. Since this seems like it'd be a likely candidate for Dried Lake, it would be unfair to throw a fast, contact-damage boss at the player that early. Telegraphed attacks seem the way to go before enough items are accumulated.

As it stands, as I pick away at this, it'll be relegated to the things Vahn included in his original suggestion for the time being. I'm still learning spriting and this has been a trying experience on it's own.

Also, "skitter" animation added. Mostly just blur on the basic run with minor changes, for the most part I figure it's just a dash so the actual movement of the crab across the terrain would theoretically look better than the sprite just standing in place like this.

Draken09 and Vahnkiljoy like this.
                        • Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Oh holy shit daimera that skitter is EXACTLY how I imagined it holy shit, you are like a goddess at this. The way he hunkers down to keep balanced is just beautiful ontop of the awesome work, gah, I could watch those animations all day...or night since I'm at work.

On a random note, kinda hilarious that we both have Aquatic Astronaut titles and were talking about giant space crabs. :laugh:

Rawrquaza and Daimera like this.
                          • majormayo

majormayo Master Chief

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

[​IMG]

Melee attack animation up.

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Gah, WHY.CAN'T.I.LIKE.MOAR!?!?!?!!?

Draken09 likes this.
                              • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Holy crapping spacenoodles on a candycorn Death Star this is so amazing I don't even

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Wow looking at the size comparison box, WOW the crab is even bigger then I thought! So damn epic!!

• Draken09

Gimungo is right! If the animation's leg movements are accurate for its speed, that thing will be insanely fast WITHOUT the skitter ability!

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Quicktype giant crab boss*shudders* no escape.

Draken09 likes this.
                                      • Draken09

Up or down... Sorta, there are still the bubbles.