1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Storable Pixels

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Przemek32767, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Przemek32767

Przemek32767 Phantasmal Quasar

~ NOTICE ~
    This mod has been remade into a Small Voxels mod, available here.

[​IMG]

This simple mod allows you to craft Pixels into items that can be stored and then crafted back into Pixels. This is useful if you hate losing Pixels on death but don't want to cheat by setting the death penalty to zero in the game files.
    2013.12.10:
    • Better installation method
    • You no longer need to edit player.config - the recipes are now unlocked when you collect Pixels
    2013.12.06:
    • Initial release

To install (click here to learn more about this method):
    1. Create a mods folder in your Starbound directory and extract the archive there.
    2. Open the bootstrap.config file in one of the following directories depending on your operating system:
      Code:
      * Windows: win32/
      * Mac OS: StarboundApp/Contents/MacOS/
      * Linux: linux32/ (if you have a 32-bit system) or linux64/ (if you have a 64-bit system)

3. Add the mod to assetSources. In unmodified bootstrap.config files this is done by replacing
      Code:
      "assetSources" : [
          "../assets"
      ],

with
      Code:
      "assetSources" : [
          "../assets",
          "../mods/StorablePixels"
      ],

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. WickedWitch

WickedWitch Big Damn Hero

Awesome idea. This would allow others to create their own dungeons, so that other players can attempt to brave in order to get a money based reward. Or simple require players to protect their stored pixels from others.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  3. lyrael_rayne

lyrael_rayne Big Damn Hero

I can't seem to get the pixel items to craft back into actual pixel money. I solved this by converting the crafting table recipes into refinery recipes. This does mean that you need a refinery to convert your pixel items back to pixel cash but it at least works. I suspect it could be done as a furnace recipe too.

EDIT: It works fine if you follow the instructions properly. It doesn't work if you're a fool like me :p

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Svarr Chanston likes this.
  4. AlfieSR

AlfieSR Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any way to get this working in multiplayer at all? I'd rather like to be able to use this with a friend, but I have no idea in the slightest how I'd get this working for the server executable. (I host from my own PC, if it matters)

5. afusaandco

afusaandco Intergalactic Tourist

To craft it back can't you just make a recipie for the workbench that gives "money" x the value? Like this (Haven't tried this):
    Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "1pixel", "count" : 1 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "money",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "craftingtable", "other", "all" ]
    }

6. Xanius

Xanius Big Damn Hero

I connected to mine using multiplayer option and it worked just fine. If the player doesn't have the item in their config then it might crash them so your friend and the server will need the mod as well.

7. AlfieSR

This is exactly what I'm questioning. Do I just install it to the client and the server will pick it up, or is there something else involved?

8. Xanius

Xanius Big Damn Hero

It needs to be in the player.config file used for the server as well as all clients. I haven't tested what happens if I drop a pixel and the other players don't have the mod. I do know the server throws errors if you place objects that it doesn't recognize. It doesn't crash but it does have errors in the log.

9. AlfieSR

If I run server directly from the starbound client launcher, is that the same directory or are the files stored elsewhere?
    Apologies if I'm being annoying with questions about this or derailing the thread at all.

10. lyrael_rayne

That's what the original mod author did. And it actually does work, I'm just a fool and didn't set it up right :p

11. lyrael_rayne

Now I have it working as intended, I just had a little play with this and I've set it up a little different. Instead of setting the recipes to be learned at player creation they're learned when you pick up any money (quest rewards don't count).

coin.moneyitem
    Code:
    "maxStack" : 16777216,

"learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [
        "1pixel",
        "10pixels",
        "100pixels",
        "1000pixels"
        ]
    Then I made the blueprints for money be learned upon picking up/crafting any of the storable pixels

1*pixel.item
    Code:
    "shortdescription" : "1 Pixel",

"learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [
       "money"
      ]

This allows existing players to learn the necessary recipes next time they kill a mob which drops pixels or when they're given a storable pixel item.

12. Xanius

Xanius Big Damn Hero

Sorry for the late reply, yes that is the same thing.

Also, after testing if you use this mod on a server that does not have the mod installed and you place the pixel items anywhere but your bag you end up with "Perfectly generic item". I added a new recipe called generic2100pixel.recipe with the following code inside to return the items back to pixels after testing.
    Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "perfectlygenericitem", "count" : 1 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "100pixels",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "plain", "all", "other" ]
    }

13. snipercup

snipercup Aquatic Astronaut

I installed it and it works fine for me. Now I can die without dropping my pixels. Thank you for making this.

14. Przemek32767

Przemek32767 Phantasmal Quasar

I just updated the mod. Now it's installed using "the proper method" and you no longer need to edit player.config. Now I need to think of a way to make this mod complement the newly introduced banking system.