1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Fully Customizable Ship V1.0.4 [Indignant Koala] MIGRATED TO OFFICIAL MODS SECTION

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Princeofmar5, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princeofmar5

Princeofmar5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fully Customizable Ship V1.0.4
    Partially transfered to here http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/fully-customizable-ship.39/

[​IMG]
    Hey everyone,

This mod allows you to dissemble your ship block by block and rebuilding it however you like within a 100 x 100 area. It gives you complete control over the look of your ship. Just follow the instructions included in the download and make sure you backup your save files as well as the ship files in the assets folder.

Important Notes
    • This does not edit save files, this is intended to be the default ship for any new character created. Since were so close to a character wiping save I decided to not include a save file with it. (Already have a character but want to give them a customizable ship? Check out this awesome mod http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/build-your-own-ship-sandbox-ship.41890/)
    • The teleporter sets the initial player spawn. This spawn is not changable so you will always spawn at that exact spot even if there is nothing below it.
    Version History
    • 1.0 - Initial Release
    • 1.0.1 - Fixed bug so now all races can start with the correct items
    • 1.0.2 - It came to my attention that the size had no effect, so I made the files the default size again
    • 1.0.3 - Fixed a few non-working blocks and removed unnecessary files.
    • 1.0.4 - Fixed bug that caused human characters to crash the game (Next time I should check for typos)
    Possible Updates
    • Extra custom ships to use instead of the default wooden one.
    • Include some ship building materials or allow unique objects like the teleporter and engines to be usable with the 3D printer (They may already be usable with that I never checked)
    Download

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    gravis24, Vinylchan, TheAleG and 3 others like this.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Bot

someone already make this

3. Princeofmar5

Well this is my take on it.

Gizmodigit999 likes this.
  4. jmdajm7

jmdajm7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The size of the dropshipblocks.png does not affect the size of the area where you can build, it is just used once to create the ship. The building area is way bigger than that :)

ollj likes this.
  5. Princeofmar5

Well that's cool, I'll go ahead and shrink the files back to default size then

6. Schmerzmittel

Schmerzmittel Yeah, You!

there are still some places where you can't set a background - where the teleporter is, behind the fuel-thingy, behind the capt. chair. you'll have to add background data in the .structure file

7. Princeofmar5

Thanks, the updated version should fix that.

Schmerzmittel likes this.
  8. Master_Discord

Master_Discord Big Damn Hero

I love it. Plain and simple. I know there was a poll on customizable ships, I wonder why Chucklefish went with boring predefined ships? I'd even be happy if they limited the ship superstructure to 'hardened' materials, for the sake of balance. I ran out of space in my ship in a matter of minutes! lol

9. Princeofmar5

I honestly like the ships they went with just because they look really good, but at the same time I wish the ship was completely destructible.

10. CaptainApathy

CaptainApathy Void-Bound Voyager

I installed this and it freezes the game for about a minute after character creation and just drops back to title with "Client/server connection no longer valid" (it was single player).

11. Rik

Rik Industrial Terraformer

I think what'd be nicer is they could figure out a method to transfer the background artwork of your ship with the .shipworld file to the server when connecting to multiplayer.

This way, everyone could still have sleek and smoothly designed ships, without the worry of someone not having the mod installed.

After all, nobody likes to walk into your ship and see....
    [​IMG]
    This.

Denninja likes this.
  12. Jecoconono

Jecoconono Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I actually do...
    its just so fun to see that then fall through gaps you didnt see

Rik likes this.
  13. Rik

You're an odd fella, you are.

14. Jecoconono

[​IMG]

15. CaptainApathy

Protip for the uninformed: when you install a custom ship you don't HAVE to start a new character. Using it for an existing one is a trivial process.

1. Install ship mod
    2. Empty out your ship and move anything of value to your characters backpack and/or planetside chests.
    3. Navigate to your save folder and backup/delete your *.shipworld (if you have more than 1, it'll be the one with the latest timestamp).
    4. Reload character.

Cake.

ErekoseDM and Princeofmar5 like this.
  16. Jecoconono

No dont eat that cake!!! Its a lie!

17. Rik

I don't recommend this, deleting your .shipworld can corrupt an existing character as it tries to draw a fresh ship while loading your character for the first time.

You can however, replace it with another shipworld without any issues, as done in my mod.

18. Jecoconono

Rik...
    It dosent.
    I did it plenty of times, deleting you're ship and getting back in you're player just creates a new ship, removing any existing modification to the ship and making a new one that's updated.
    ShipWorld is only you're ship.
    Player is the main character
    You dont touch player file, only shipworld.
    Its impossible to corrupt.
    It cant cause when you're making a new character
    1. Makes new character 2. Makes Shipworld 3. Load
    When loading a character it does
    1. Verify all the games file to see if it works 2. Loads
    So when it find no shipworld
    1.Stop loading 2. Read ship file, makes ship file 3. Load
    Just correcting you there

19. CaptainApathy

I've done it a few times also with no issues. As with anything modding related: backup, backup, backup. If things go wrong you can always restore it.

20. Rik

And I'm telling you you're wrong, I don't know if they've fixed it since the initial patch, but something about deleting the .shipworld entirely, which forces the game to go back to re-draw from the initial asset/ship folder does cause characters to corrupt on occasion. I've lost about 3 or so characters in my experiementing process from this in total before I created my sandbox ship mod.

But as CaptainApathy said, as long as you have proper backups, you should be fine if it does go wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.