1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Frustrated Koala - Rampaging Birds Fix

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Tangerine, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Tangerine

Tangerine Void-Bound Voyager

***They nerfed birds in Indignant Koala, so since this mod is no longer necessary, I won't be updating it anymore!***

Purpose:

To make the game enjoyable again by reducing the bird aggro radius and making their relentless pursuit of you a little less relentless, putting bird AI behavior closer to where it was originally in Irritated Koala.

Skills Required:
    • The ability to navigate file systems and to execute basic commands, such as copy and paste.
    • The ability to not pay for WinRAR.
    Installation Instructions:
    1. Download this file.
    2. Unrar into your [Steam Directory]\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods folder!
    Details/Compatibility Notice:
    This mod basically makes it so that birds will only attack you if you actually move near them, instead of being within the same screen space of them, and won't continually re-acquire you as a target. Specifically, this mod works by changing the "targetRadius" variable to 13.0 (originally 30.0 before the 12/11/2013 hotfix) and the "targetHoldTime" to 3.5 (originally 5.0). Thus, since it is possible to move a distance of 13.0 away from the bird in 4.0 seconds (targetHoldTime + targetSearchTime), it is possible to disengage from combat with a bird if you happen to stray into the aggro radius to begin with, whereas before you basically had to jump off of a very tall cliff to traverse a distance of 30 in the 5.5 second targeting cycle. The values for only the daytime birds were changed with the 12/11/2013 hotfix to a targetRadius of 20.0 and a targetHoldTime of 3.0; this mod still affects those AND the nighttime birds.

Changelog:
    v0.2 -
    Updated archive file structure for installation via mods folder. (Thanks Med!)

Updated for the 10/12/2013 Frustrated Koala hotfix:
    Changed targetHoldTime back to 3.5 in smallflying.monstertype.
    Changed targetRadius back to 13.0 in smallflying.monstertype.

v0.1 -
    Release.

Known Bugs:
    Does not work in multiplayer.
    Disclaimer:
    I made this while slightly (see also: very) intoxicated and quite pissed off at being killed by birds for the umpteenth time. If your computer catches fire due to the residual anger contained within this mod, I assume no liability for the resulting damages. I do assume full liability for the laughing at you that will occur.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    robflop, yk999 and bluecollarart like this.
  2. robflop

robflop Subatomic Cosmonaut

3. Med

Med Phantasmal Quasar

Good mod! Right now, most mod users are taking advantage of Starbound's Mod Loading capacity (using a mods folder).

So rather than zipping the two files, you can create the folder hierarchy "monsters\flying\smallflying" and smallflyingnight and people can just drop "monsters" into their mods folder. :love:

4. Tangerine

Tangerine Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the info! This was my first foray into modding for Starbound, and I didn't read any documentation of any kind because of my previously mentioned drunkenness. Yes, I know this makes me kind of a bad person.

5. Med

Med Phantasmal Quasar

Just awful.

I haven't read any documentation either, actually. I don't think there is any official stuff! But the structure of everything just made me want to jump in, learn from failure, and act like I knew what I was doing. :rofl: :rofl: