1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Mods. We Need Mods.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mr.Johnson, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Mr.Johnson

Mr.Johnson Space Hobo

RoR is one of my favorite games right now, but as it is in early stages I have found myself with not very much left to complete, and it is starting to get old quick. If we had the ability to mod it or open it to the steam workshop, I think A whole new world would open up for RoR.

Barkano, Fox0427 and BlastRed like this.
    • zarithos

zarithos Space Hobo

Agreed, we need modding capabilities. There are loads of talented modders out there that would do this game a great service. Since the creator of RoR seems to have just abandoned this project, he really should do SOMETHING to quiet the rabblerousers like myself. We wouldn't want this to become a witch hunt :)

This game has taken WAY to long to get this new content out. He could even pre-release the content as a "Beta", and ask the community to give feed back. But nooooooo.... so annoying, and typical of indie-developers.

Sad to see a great game gather dust, and only the players seem to care.

At least give another Blog Update >_>

• ShadowlessWanderer

ShadowlessWanderer Pangalactic Porcupine

I like how people don't even realize that the people who made this are college STUDENTS meaning they have tests, homework, studying, and more to deal with than simply pushing out updates for a game. The devs aren't just mindless drones committed solely to updating the game. They have lives and plans and things to do as well. There's many many other games out there that made the fans and players wait for much much longer than a few months. Look at terraria. 2 years between updates. Starcraft Brood war to Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty:12-13 years, Half Life 2 to Half Life 3......... And that's just naming games that come to mind off the bat.

People get so entitled about games. "We want an update and we want it now. We don't care that the devs have things to do or need to do other things ra ra ra!"
        Bitching and moaning and complaining isn't really going to do anything other than make people not want to be involved with this. And even if all the "Where's the update" and "Why don't you say anything about an update" questions do anyting, its not like it'll make possible updates come out any faster. If anything, it'll make possible updates not happen. I get that you paid for the game, I did too. I get that you want more but seriously, how hard is it to be patient? Whether you like it or not, you're going to have to be patient one way or the other.

On topic: Modding would be great for RoR. It would help the devs out because there wouldn't be as many "I want my update" stuff, as well as it might give them new ideas that they didn't think of. Some modders out there have done amazing things and its not like it can really hurt RoR because it's really just mods and not official game content.

• Ramond

Ramond Subatomic Cosmonaut

Totally seconding what ShadowlessWanderer mentioned about the devs. I'm a college student myself and it's really hard to keep up with free time to do anything else really, if you plan on finishing college in due time. But rest assured that the devs have NOT abandoned the game.

I as well would support modding (I'd support it for any game, user-generated content keeps things fresh), but seeing that the game is being developed in Game Maker, I'm not sure inhowfar they are able to implement that kind of modding support. GM has its limits...

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Plus, this is their first game. They may not have the knowledge (or time) necessary to make it modding friendly.

• pingpong2012

pingpong2012 Void-Bound Voyager

I doubt we'll ever have modding, as the game is made in Gamemaker. If it was C++, or hell, even JAVA, modding would be easy by just exposing the variables and/or releasing bits of engine code as open-source. Instead of using efficient code the first time, we now get a game that's ridiculous to debug (as seen by the piles of game-breaking errors and half the stuff being client side), and runs like sludge despite being internally rendered at like 320x180. Don't even SUGGEST using multiple cores or OpenCL acceleration. Screw performance, modding, ease of debugging, multiple patforms; we're modern programmers! Everyone knows only Linux communists use robust cross-platform free libraries with manageable code.

• RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer Phantasmal Quasar

Just so everyone knows, I've got the game opened in GM8.1 and set up. Still probably hard to mod, but hey. This makes it a lot easier. New items and such should be pretty easy

• JUKE454

JUKE454 Space Spelunker

MODS
                  I think a modding kit for this game would be great, I also think it would increase the games popularity.
                  From new characters, to new maps, maybe even bug fixes, or new mobs/bosses. I really think that if the teams staff could create a modding kit the game would be golden.

So everyone please if you think this a great idea push it to the top, or spread the word thank you.

• AmericanTrailMix

AmericanTrailMix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.
                    Sorry, but please yes.

• Roundhouse Kitty

Roundhouse Kitty Phantasmal Quasar

I want ALL OF THE MODS.