How To Make Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WelshPixie, Feb 26, 2012.

1. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

First Note:

The Suggestions section exists for you to forward your suggestions to the development team. After discussions between myself and a few of the developers, it is arranged in such a way as to best benefit what they need to get from the section. With that in mind, the topics are broad and general, and there will be no mega-threads or portfolios. To put it simply, each suggestion (or group of connected suggestions, more details below) gets its own thread.

With this in mind, existing megathreads and portfolios have been moved to a temporary read-only forum. If you wish to save your idea, copy it and create a new thread for the suggestion in the appropriate place. The temp forum will be deleted in about a week, which should be plenty of time for everyone to save out what they need.

How to make a suggestion:

1) You have a simple suggestion:-

• "I'd like axolotls!" - make your post under NPCs and Creatures
    • "I've come up with the following things I'd like to see as rideable mounts" - make your post under Vehicles and Mounts
    2) Your suggestion encompasses a range of ideas:-

• "I'd like banana hammocks in the game as a wearable item. A pattern can be found by killing this type of mob, and they can be crafted using these ingredients. They give the following stats." - your suggestion covers items, mobs, crafting and mechanics. However, the core suggestion is the addition of a new item - put your suggestion under Gear and Items.
    • "I love lamp. Lighting should be completely dynamic. Can we have exploding kittens?" - three completely separate suggestions; make one post for each in the appropriate categories (Gear and Items, Mechanics, and Weapons respectively, in this case!).
    3) You just can't figure out where your suggestion belongs!

Stick it in 'Other'. :D

Try to make your suggestion as clear and concise as possible. That being said, we're aware that this is an international community with users from all over the world and that for many of you, English isn't your first language. Don't worry about grammatical issues or spelling mistakes too much if they aren't your strong point. As long as the devs can understand what you're trying to get across, it's all cool!

Don't spend too long agonising over where your suggestion belongs. We're not strict about where they go, it's cool if you post in the wrong place. We'll just move it when we find it. :)

2. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Sounds great.

3. Brunstad

Brunstad Aquatic Astronaut

If "I love lamp" is an Anchorman reference, then I love you.

4. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

I love lamp. I love lamp!

Vynal, Tietzy, Axelth and 15 others like this.
  5. Chikara

Chikara Orbital Explorer

Does it count as a suggestion, if I suggest Starbound to avoid something?
    Where should this kind of suggestion go?

Surely most such arguments can be forged into actual positive suggestions, but what about like "make sure that <insert thing> gets done right" -type of suggestions?

OneOnlyDan, Axelth and JazzPigeon like this.
  6. HellKnightX

HellKnightX Void-Bound Voyager

I believe contra-suggestions would go under the same category as its related suggestion. If you were to suggest "Don't put in exploding kittens. It's bad for the environment", it would still go under weapons, as that's where you would find aforementioned exploding kittens.

7. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

Just confirming what HellKnightX said - post them in the suggestion sub-forum relevant to the category of your post.

wavefunction.e likes this.
  8. Redsun

Redsun Void-Bound Voyager

I hope I will be able to make a good few suggestions to better Starbound.

Rian121 likes this.
  9. Dreams

Dreams Star Wrangler

All my suggestions have already been taken :(
    I shall help improve!

10. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

wavefunction.e and Rian121 like this.
  11. Dreams

Dreams Star Wrangler

No, but I see the topics that I wanted to suggest. So I don't start a new topic. That would be bad.

12. Chuchu13

Chuchu13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can we have exploding kittens? Is there an animation of how would it look like? :) Just curious (Sorry for spam)

13. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

The forums staff here is the exact opposite of Facepunch's forum staff, they are friendly, understanding, and listen to everyone not just the donating members... I think I'm in love. <3~

r 1 and Rex like this.
  14. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

Can you add a forum topic for music suggestions? I have great Ideas for music and I'm willing to find anything that might suit to your ears! Here's an idea for a particular piece that may suite a type of gloomy world such as a swampy or wasteland?
    I can understand that it may have to go through some copyright issues but might it be possible?

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Are you allowed to post just to bump a thread?

16. Maverik

Maverik Void-Bound Voyager

When making a post, what's preferred? A single post for each individual idea, or a post containing multiple ideas which are relevant to the subtopic? Should I make, for instance, a thread titled "[ENEMY NPC] Mechanized Sentient Watermelon" revolving around one specific idea, or "Maverik's NPC ideas", acting as a general thread for whatever I throw in?

17. LordChickenMan

LordChickenMan Zeromus

So Tiy and his crew checks the suggestions? or admins like ordana?

18. Ryanrem

Ryanrem Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wait a second... does this mean i can make someone with a BANANA HAMMOCK

hyprhare and KoedGaming like this.
  19. hazzary453

hazzary453 Big Damn Hero

sounds awesome,will do!:D

20. wallespider56

wallespider56 Subatomic Cosmonaut

What if I wanted to suggest a new race? Where would I put that?

wavefunction.e likes this.