1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the eight face on the portal for?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Crispyballz, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Crispyballz

Crispyballz Starship Captain

There are 7 faces of all the race and one face is ripped off. What race is this supposed to be? :O easter egg?

Look at the hole lowest in the left corner. What race is that?

Attached Files:

2. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

Your guess is as good as anyone elses.

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

No one knows for sure (the devs havent said anything offically, so its a mystery), theres plenty of theories.

I say pink squirrels.

4. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

There have a been a lot of theories about this.

Some say it belongs to the race that uplifted the Avians.
    Some say it belongs to the creator of the Glitch.
    Some say it's for 1 race that did both.
    Some say it belongs to the mushroom people.
    Some say it's just a placeholder for a future race.

It's even possible that it belongs to a race that's causing the tentacle biomes to happen.
    The gates do have some connection to them, looking at the top of the gate, whether it is to hold back or to spread said biomes.

One odd thing is that the missing face on the left has an ear and hair while the one on the right is round.

In any case nobody really knows who the missing face spot belongs to. :)

Jonesy likes this.
  5. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd tell you, but then you'd know, and if you know, then they'd know I told you, and if they know I told you! I've already said too much! :rip:

6. pinkie pirate

pinkie pirate Cosmic Narwhal

its the faceless cracked people race, of course.

TheDarkGods, Yubs, SeaJay and 4 others like this.
  7. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

so its the Fallen race then. damn. I should have known.

8. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

o.,o The bottom one, the removed one? What if its a tentacle alien race?

9. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Pangalactic Porcupine

Then Asian Schoolgirls better GTFO. D:

Yzzey, The Squid and CmereSweetHeart like this.
  10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Ever since earth was taken over by, uh, that thing, there isn't a single trace of such schoolgirls. Coincidence?

The Squid and Leatherneck like this.
  11. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

Honestly, I think that it's mostly for future proofing, or for symmetry sake.

If you also notice, there are an odd number of races. It could simply be that they made the wall that way just so that it is symmetrical.

It could also be so that when and IF they add another race they'd be able to simply add one in.

12. L. F. Oxidizer

L. F. Oxidizer Pangalactic Porcupine

In my opinion, it's just a fancy way of keeping the head slots in the gate at an even number. Chucklefish could have simply left an isolated head at the top/bottom of the gate's sides and have an uneven number of heads, but they wanted to keep the slots at an even number, and 7 is not an even number. The solution? Have a missing spot!

Of course, that raises the question of why they didn't add in the Penguin head as they work as an independent race(unlike the Agarans who are simply Florans with mushroom clothes), but maybe they just wanted to include only playable races.

Snowpup likes this.
  13. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't act all like a game theory fan who believes everything in theories

14. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Gotta have symmetry.

*twitch*

Galactic Avatar and Snowpup like this.
  15. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Calabrese, no matter what, the ships are never symmetrical! And Yeah, I'm interested to see if chucklefish will add in more races, and the gate will change to reflect the added in races. o.o

Snowpup likes this.
  16. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

That's a good thing. Show me something perfectly symmetrical down to the lowest possible level, and I'll show you an eldritch abomination ;)

In a less de-raily manner, I think it could be anything, really... maybe there is an eight species/race in the works, maybe the devs just wanted to screw with people, maybe we will find there was once an eight race that was destroyed by the same thing that destroyed Earth in the Human storyline... maybe said thing was the eight race and was "cast out" due to they turning out to be monsters. Who knows.

17. Fauxglove

Fauxglove Subatomic Cosmonaut

My money is on a future planned race.

Andr0o likes this.
  18. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

The faces would make the gate too tall if stacked on top of each other (given separation as to not look too cluttered). The "8th" face is there just to keep the aesthetics the same, more likely than not, and again it could simply be them "future proofing" if they do add another race they don't have to create a whole new art asset, they can retcon the old.

The ship not being symmetrical is because it's hard to show directional movement without one end being the front.
    However, MOST ships' LAYOUTS are mostly symmetrical.

Ships that are NOT entirely symmetrical generally takes account of the cockpits as a compartment in the ship.

The two ships that break this rule are:
    The Novakid (except they technically follow the cockpit being a compartment)
    The Floran, but their ship upgrades are extremely unique in the sense it's made up of other ships cobbled together.

Other ships are symmetrical on either the X or Y axis or both when you take account of the cockpit. We'll not count the other forms of symmetry (as in within fractals)
    X(being horizontal) Y(Being vertical)

Floran ships have no such symmetry and are the only black sheep of this rule
    Human and Hylotl ships are symmetrical on one axis (x)
    Novakid, Glitch, and Avian ships are symmetrical on the other (y)
    Apex ships are symmetrical on two axises

See "Supersymmetry". Kidding Just agreeing with you.

Calabrese likes this.
  19. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Big Ape is the eighth race, of course. Big Ape is a god. All hail Big Ape.

Andr0o likes this.
  20. L. F. Oxidizer

L. F. Oxidizer Pangalactic Porcupine

What do you mean? I don't even watch The Game Theory, not after they managed to get a legion of Mario haters for just a cheap theory that likely isn't even true.

If you look at the game's coding, you won't find an Agaran race. Indeed, they have a special AI, but coding-wise they're just Florans with mushroom clothes that have their own AI and speech lines. Gameplay-wise, they could be anything.