1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Purchasable Pets [SB 1.2] v1.4

Buy pets at Infinity Express

1. JunosatoRyu

JunosatoRyu Pangalactic Porcupine

I missed jump frames?
    srsly?
    Odd, I made a version of it with your custom pet mod and it does not vanish there...

EDIT: I found the problem.
    Your version uses a different number of animation frames per animation as my version.
    Apparently, some racial pets use different frame numbers or speeds for animation...
    This should be mentioned in the Custom Pet mod to prevent mistakes on sides of the animators.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

>.< not sure how we got different versions though.
    But ya I will look into it

3. JunosatoRyu

Different Racial pets have different numbers of frames per animation.
    I made mne using the Hylotl's crab as a base, which has only ONE jump and fall frame.

4. The | Suit

Ah - I think originally gave you a different one.
    The mod should be fine in that case. Since I used a packaged asset of the parts which included the frames file.

Edit:
    To fix it all you would need to do is switch out the frames file I packaged with the one you had in yours.
    And you should be good to go to distribute. Simple fix

5. Wulf_Oman

Wulf_Oman Existential Complex

May I suggest a pet that resembles poptops? Not the poptop monster itself - but one you can actually have as a pet

Edit: Then again I could try and make one myself

Edit 2: Doing it now, also I made this (a template with a bit clearer borders so you know the limits at how big your sprite must be, the darkened bits are supposed to be obvious places you CAN'T put a pet sprite)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    The | Suit likes this.
  6. The | Suit

It is possible just make sure you edit both the frames file + the animation file.

7. Wulf_Oman

It isn't working, I'm assuming due to the frames file: I had to make it 48x48...where do I change this in the frames file?
    Bleh, maybe someone can figure it out before more
    [​IMG]

8. The | Suit

Size = Individual Frame size
    Dimensions = [ Number of Columns , Number of Rows ]

Any frame left blank you have to give it the name null - no double quotes

Next open the animation file and place the correct number of frames used for each action.

Wulf_Oman likes this.
  9. JunosatoRyu

Actually you can put more sprites in a row if you adapt the corosponding tile numbers...

10. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

In case this hasn't been posted yet, madtulip attaches the petspawner script to the captainschair located in the ship parts folder of his/her mod.

The | Suit likes this.
  11. chocosamara

chocosamara Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hello I had a problem with this mod. I had fun changing my current pet for cats. Later I opened the game and crashed several times, I have to reinstall everything. It worked normal again, but I appeared with the original pet and the cats dissapeared, so my guess it was for use the item for "kill" original pets.
    Don't get me wrong, i still love this, I can't and dont' wanna delete it.
    It's pretty safe to delete the original pet?

12. The | Suit

Yes - Original pet is not actually stored in anything.
    So feel free to kill off the original pet.

13. Terrichance

Terrichance Aquatic Astronaut

I'm really liking this mod, it's not a bad concept to use at all, tying the ship-board pets to pet houses. With one pet per house though... I feel that this could be streamlined even further, if it's possible. May I suggest the following?

The player themselves is capable of 'equipping' up to two pets to themselves via a pair of pet slots. These don't have the same sort of AI that the ship pets do, but that's a negligible issue. The player is able to catch creatures in capture 'pods', and equip these pods to their pet slots to use the creatures as, well, pets.

I suggest making the pet house, an interact-able item, that pops up a UI window. This window would have multiple pet slots, up to 8 I would say, similar to a chest (Bigger pet houses of course, would have more slots.) Pet Pods attached to these slots would gain the ship-pet AI, and act accordingly. This would allow you multiple pets in a ship, without multiple pet houses taking up a lot of valuable space.

Pets thus sold in the mart, would be in Pods instead of houses. This also has the added advantage of allowing you to mix things up, such as settling a captured creature from a planet into your ship as a ship-pet, or taking a pet you bought at the mart, with you down to the surface of a planet. I'd also make the pets and their accessories their own stall in the Outpost, but that's just me.

Again, I don't know how much of that is possible, but I feel it'd be a thing worth working towards.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  14. The | Suit

You cannot have pet slots added to the player character.
    That would require modifying the game engine.

As for "Pet Slots" in a pet house Due the nature of how the pet information is stored in the houses them selves.
    In the future you may be able to write the information into an item without having to destroy and remake it - but currently not possible.

15. Terrichance

I was about to take a screenshot of the inventory screen and the two pet slots placed in there to show you that they were present in-game, but a little more digging in information tells me that, strangely, these have not been 'turned on' yet. I could have sworn I was able to equip pet pods in them in Enraged Koala, after making the pods from the same table the peanut butter trap comes from. Maybe my memory is faulty.

Well, the slots are present in the inventory screen. It may be that code can't support them being active (or else, once did, but now no longer can.) I would expect this to change at some point in time. In the meanwhile, I'll keep an eye on this mod and any future developments it undergoes!

16. The | Suit

Capture pet pods and Ship pets do not use the same code.

17. Terrichance

I'm aware of this, the idea was that the the pet graphics could remain the same, while the AI code would change depending on where the pet had been placed/equipped. Say I had a Floran Leafsnake, that I took out of the ship. Doing so, it would use the pet pod AI code when released. Whereas once placed in a pet house, it would then use the ship pet AI code instead. Same graphics, different AI for different scenarios.

18. graycatgrayhat

graycatgrayhat Pangalactic Porcupine

Known Issues
    • Pets Reproduce [ not a feature ]
    I just love the way you have so bluntly said this made be laugh, keep the great ideas coming.

Wulf_Oman likes this.
  19. Wulf_Oman

But, but, crossbreeds!

20. Wulf_Oman

Any chance you're planning to add Dog pet houses like these? I know they can be captured with capture pods - but I'd love seeing them implemented much like this.

Love it! Any chance on a special Orbis house? (even if it was a test pet)