1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Race Gameplay Variation 0.3.2

Adds new mechanics based on the player's chosen race!

1. IncredibleMeh

IncredibleMeh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

IncredibleMeh submitted a new mod:

Race Gameplay Variation - Adds new mechanics based on the player's chosen race!

Read more about this mod...

2. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'll have to make a backup of my mods folder and slot this right away.

Let's see what happens next...

-EDIT-

So, first thing I did was test this mod out with a HEAVILY modded loadout using a brand new character created solely for the purpose of testing. I picked Glitch, to check out one of the more heavily boosted races right out of the gate. Loaded up with no trouble, spawned in on a Frackin' Universe primeval forest world (thanks to CleF), and immediately jumped into the first lake I found.

Sure enough, Indefinite breathing. I then attempted to eat a carrot I picked. No dice.

I'm still on the lookout for some robot foot. I want to see what this 'partially functional' note means. Does it mean that, for the time being, Glitch just can't eat at ALL? Does it mean some foods may have gotten overlooked? I'll find out, through the powers of SCIENCE!

-EDIT 02-

Died before I could find robo-food... decided to try a Nova-Kid. Ceti Arcadia Minora has set her sights on exploring the universe in style. So far, I don't seem to have run into many obvious conflicts. Nothing game-breaking anyway. Loving the experience of playing as a character who can't actively heal. Having to carry this tent around with me, setting up camp and resting off the bites and wounds is a lot of fun... adds some much-needed challenge to my life.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    jonathonspy likes this.
  3. Rex Blackbeak

Rex Blackbeak Spaceman Spiff

:D Wooooooooooooow
    Cannot wait for soon to be added stuff like hylotl moves fast underwater :D

4. Nightmaster

Nightmaster Pangalactic Porcupine

A little suggestion towards Novakids... that they can "eat" things like plutonium and erchius. The idea behind being that since they are energy creatures their food would be energy too.

Just my two cents

5. TheSilentObserver

I like this idea a LOT, but I wonder how feasible it actually is. Food, I believe, has it's own category of items. If plutonium and erchius are not designated as consumables... can the game recognize them as food for a particular race?

6. IncredibleMeh

This is something I'm curious about as well. If it's possible to convert items to the consumable type, interesting things might be done with that like giving Floran the ability to eat raw meat, or even the suggestion above regarding Novakids and plutonium. I get the distinct feeling however that these are things specifically under the control of the game engine itself and are outside the influence of the mod api. But who knows, there might be a way.

7. TheSilentObserver

You may be able to achieve this through the addition of recipes. It's a bit of a cloddish, ugly approach... but a crafting recipe to 'prepare' non-consumable items into a consumable isn't so terrible. You could just use the same methods, after the fact, to prevent other races from eating these new items that you use to keep the novakid and glitch from eating other foods, no?

8. Nightmaster

Its not a ugly approach at all. Just remember that very few foods can be consumed raw in real life. The only exception are fruits and there arent many of then ingame at the moment.

TheSilentObserver likes this.
  9. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I would lije to point out that Chucklefish has recently changed their stance on passive racial abilities and that they actually are planned now. Still appreciate your mod.

TheSilentObserver likes this.
  10. TheSilentObserver

Is this true?! IS IT TRUE!?!?

OH GLORIOUS DAY! Well, until such a time as this happens... happens... this mod shall be at the frontlines, making a variation of it happen just a little bit sooner.

11. Nightmaster

Yes, but they also said that they idea is for these differences to part of racial armor sets instead of natural abilities for each race.

12. Mackinz

...no. That was an IRC quote from over a year ago. What I'm referring to is from October. I keep track of information like this.

13. Gir554

Gir554 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I personally think that glitch should only take reduced damage from fire hazards. Prolonged exposure to heat could cause internal components to overheat after all.

You can't set a computer on fire and expect it to work afterwards.

Kennethern likes this.
  14. IncredibleMeh

Well, I guess I should retract or at least alter my statement that the mod goes against the intentions of the designers. Although I can't imagine they'll do anything nearly as fanciful as what's been done here, and 1.0 is a reasonable ways off from now.

This is sound reasoning, and I think I eventually should change it. Before I do that, I'm going to need to find a way to reduce damage from various types. I think I can increase it easily by causing the damage type to proc an effect that does more damage, but figuring out a way to reduce the damage without screwing with to much will be difficult.

15. IncredibleMeh

IncredibleMeh updated Race Gameplay Variation with a new update entry:

First Update!

Read the rest of this update entry...

16. IncredibleMeh

IncredibleMeh updated Race Gameplay Variation with a new update entry:

Oops!

Read the rest of this update entry...

17. Nightmaster

Regarding our conversation about Novakids and food one thing have come to my attention that could be used for novakids:

Law of Concervation of Matter

Simply put, if possible, Novakids could "eat" anything, but not that they will digest whatever they ingest but ratter that they will incinerate their food and the result liberation of energy would sustain then. The mechanic used could be the same as when one put items into the trash slot in the inventory window, only that instead of simple discarting the item the Novakid would be feeding his "internal atomic furnace".

Now again that is only if it is possible to make that functionality.

18. Mackinz

Why do Floran regenerate energy based on light level but not health?

Why are Floran not given an additional effect when they consume meat vs. other foods?

Why are Glitch, whose bodies are made of metal and wiring, immune or resistant to almost all planetary dangers like heat, cold and radiation? All three affect machinery...

Why does your design philosophy read like a rant against Chucklefish?

Aside from that, thanks for not making Humans a generic "standard" species.

19. TheSilentObserver

I like the idea of Florans getting some kind of a special effect for eating meat... but I'm not really quite sure what it would be. Speed? Extra strength? Faster health regen?

Radiation is too generic a term. Certain KINDS of radiation affect machinery... and even then we have machines that are insulated to those certain kinds of radiation. Being immune to radiation and resistant to cold/heat seems perfectly acceptable for a robotic race created by advanced engineers. S The fact that it breaks the linear-as-hell progression system is a bonus win, in my book.

As someone who finds the design philosophy of Chucklefish quite rantworthy sometimes, I find it refreshing when people call the decision to leave out passive racial abilities a mistake. Even if they've decided to course-correct on this front, it was still a decision which rendered their beautifully created, interesting species options utterly devoid of meaning. A little bit of lore... a blurb in a book about my history... and then I'm off to play a fish that drowns when exploring Ocean Planets unless he's got a magical Nano-suit of Awesomeness +2? Yeah, sure... that's real compelling gameplay there.

Humans feel good. I gave my USCM guy one of their rifles and set him loose on some hellish bee-infested biome today. Only got stung once.

Omegagreen likes this.
  20. Mackinz

Not even the best engineers could prevent metals from rapdily changing temperature when exposed to varying temperatures, and ionizing gamma radiation (which is likely very prevalent on radioactive worlds) can pierce several feet of lead let alone whatever metal the Glitch are constructed from. Rusting is also a serious threat.

In addition, they were built to simulate how a species progresses. If they are basically immune to all challenges, that would work against their engineered purpose.