1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help HOW TO CREATE A SERVER ON MY MAC (steam version of starbound)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by PufferPig, Jan 14, 2016.

1. PufferPig

PufferPig Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know how to create servers on my mac. If i press create server terminal just spits out gunk. How do I start one on my mac? (i really need to know, cause i really want to be able to play with my friends on starbound.)

2. PufferPig

PufferPig Subatomic Cosmonaut

All I get when I push start server is a bunch of computer babble. Is there an alternate way to start one?

3. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

4. Goldensc

Goldensc Void-Bound Voyager

For anyone else looking for help via Mac, the process goes as such:

Press Shift+Command+G or just go to the upper left side of the screen to Go, then scroll down to Go to Folder. From there copy-paste this to get into your starbound folder:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound
    From here you can access all the Starbound files. For the server, go into the folder named osx. There should be a file named run-server.sh, that is what is used to run the server. To give it permission to run, open a terminal window. Inside the terminal window, enter this:
    chmod a+x
    Make sure to add a space after the x. Next rename the file run-server.sh to run-server.command (for some reason the .sh would not run for me, so I changed it to command instead). Then drag the file into the terminal window and press enter. Then double click it and it should start up perfectly.
    This is a solution for anyone who plays Starbound on 2 computers (1 that hosts the server and 1 that is playing on the server). Steam will sign you out of one of them when you launch Starbound on the other one. It's a hassle to have to sign back in so I'm glad I could share this solution with anyone who was having trouble, as most tutorials for Starbound servers are for windows or outdated Mac ones.

5. enriqueperez

enriqueperez Space Hobo

good post