Survival mode mechanics suggestions

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Dark-Grunt, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Dark-Grunt

Dark-Grunt Void-Bound Voyager

I really like the fact that the game have two different modes to play. To make the survival more even different than the normal mode, I got some interesting ideas:
    • Camp Fire and torch are putting out when it's raining.
    • Both have a durability, and can be restored with plant fibres or other materials.
    • You can't always eat the same things, or you get sick.
    • A bar showing the balance of the meat/vegetable/drink you eat. If your'e not balanced enough with these three stats, you get sick.
    • Some containers can preserve the food for a longer period of time.
    • Monsters can eat your crops, but you can protect them with a scarecrow.
    • Flammable blocks can spill the fire on other flamable blocks.
    • Sleeping in a bed restore all your health and skip 7 to 10 hours, but you can only sleep 1 time per 24 hours.
    • During the night, creepy and dangerous monsters take place of the normal monsters.
    • Less place in inventory, but possibility to craft a backpack, wich procure more space.
    All of these are just examples, but I think that would make the survival more hardcore and more different than the normal mode. That would surely give a longer lifetime to the game. Don't hesitate to leave a comment on this thread if you think this is a great/bad idea.

Verion and General Nuclear like this.
  2. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

being hit by wild monster may give you rabies that cause berserk
    Being poisoned force you to be amputated else you get paralyzed
    Drinking unsanitary water gives you bad cholera

3. Dark-Grunt

Oh god, thats getting intense! o_O

4. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

i remember the frost bit mod in skyrim that gave you debuffs if you got too cold so you had to warm your self by making camp fires or puting on warm clohtes or eating some food or even use a fire spell and you had a change to die if it started to snow and you got too cold it was fun belive it or not but now i can't find the mod anymore:cry:

anyway starbound used to have simliar system in early days of the beta I miss it :(
    dos sissy pants complained so much that they remove it

soo many survival games have had to remove the survival elements from there games because of super douchebag complainers complaing about it being a survival game IT PISSES ME SO MUCH OFF WHY BUY A SURVIVEL GAME IF YOU DON'T LIKE OR WANT THE SURVIVAL ELEMENT YOUR RUINING IT FOR US WHO LIKE TO PLAY IT FOR WHAT IT IS AND BOUGHT IT FOR WHAT IT WAS YOU WOULDN'T LIKE IT IF WE REMOVED THE GUNS FROM A SHOTING GAME OF YOURS!:mad::fireball:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  5. Dark-Grunt

Yes that old heat system was kind of cool. The problem now is that with the heat and cooler backpacks, the heat system won't make sense anymore :(
    But I would really like the survival to be different from the normal mode, that would give more possibility and variant of gameplay to the game. And also, Starbound was not necessarily intended to be a survival game, but offering the possibility to play survival is a way to make the game even more complete and funny. I hope that survival mode will be epic in the future :D

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Starbound never was a "survival" game. If you remove guns from a shooter game, you are literally breaking the entire game. Removing temperature did not break the Starbound. It changed it a bit, but not much. (For the record, I want temperature back too)

If you want a survival game, then I suggest games like Ark and Subnautica. (Highly recommend Subnautica)

7. Dark-Grunt

Yeah, its true that Starbound never really meant to be a survival game, but thats cool from the developper to add the survival mode :DD

8. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

i'm 75% sure it was taged as a survival game when i bought it on steam
    i never said it broke the game by removing it
    also removeing guns would not break a shoting game completely it would just replace it with melee attacks or throwing weapons turing it in to a diffrent type of game
    also got ark still have it its fun but too unstable yet waiting for it to get better

also i miss it that you could never know what monster who was aggressive or not because that made sense to have it was also fun that jump and that sound they make now is ruining that feel