1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED ReTex +17

Changing some basic textures

1. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

Cgeta submitted a new mod:

ReTex - Changing some basic textures

Read more about this mod...

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I really like the designs of the mod. All but one. The brick design. The red feels too saturated and not earthy, as opposed to the vanilla texture which is more dull and earthy, like a clay brick should be.

I also think preview images of your mods effect on dungeons and villages like the Apex Village (which uses a lot of brick) would be a good idea.

3. Cgeta

Ooh, that reminds me, I completely forgot to mention that the mod will affect existing dungeons and villages and the like. Also pre-existing player builds. And yus, the bricks are a little too intense. I drew them almost a year ago, and just added them in without much tought. I'll tone them down a bit.

I'm going to replace the bricks with this:
    Brick.png

The old bricks will be a seperate block that can be crafted out of bricks and limestone I think

Duuuuh, tiles! Why u rendering after your submatch rendered! Even if I add HaltOnMatch!
    Wanted to try out a tree like structure for the template files where every surrounding tile needs to be checked only a single time, picking the right tile depending on how far the checks return matches. Looks more like a pyramid than a tree though.
    It should render the tile, and then end. But it does render it, ends the submatch, renders the next below, ends that submatch, and renders the next below that.

I wish you could set a likehood for a tile to render. Like a 1 out of 10 chance to render even if it matches fully. I really want to increase the variety of the center tiles without having to increase the variety for every tile shape, like those rarely used corner pieces.

Also I wish you could add something like "x-position is dividable by 10" to the match checks, so I could create patterns spanning multiple tiles. Or have things like a cover appear only ever 4 tiles or something. You know...

How could I forget about haltOnSubMatch >-<

This is the fourth time I'm rewriting the template files as I learn new things each time and feel like improving it further...

On tenth tought, it seems like the way how I approached it before solved some issues I can't solve with the new solution. I could, but it would hardly make it better than the old one.
    I guess I'll stick to the old one unless I think up something else
    At least I understand the template files to a much deeper level. And the submatches.
    Maybe I'll improve them a bit later.
    But would it even matter? I assume that the match checking hardly takes any computing power; Rather the big sprite sheets being the real resource hogs

I would probably just write some code that would read in something like that
    Reference.png
    and have it generate the template automaticly.
    Sure, 8, or even 24 checks per tile is a little much, but I still assume it would not impact much

I made some weird spacey liquid! The stars kinda shift as if they're far away...
    Spaceblub.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Mackinz likes this.
  4. Mackinz

Really looking forward to the update, Cgeta.

5. Cgeta

Got a little sidetracked, but I like.
    Always wanted to do a pillar like block
    Spacetemple.png

Beatrice and Mackinz like this.
  6. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

Texture mods i oh so love you. Always making 1 game prettier at a time. Fixes the dull and make stuff stand out even more. I'm curious, is flesh, brain, and goo blocks gonna get an update?

1411852212109.gif

7. Cgeta

Maybe
    I'll try to focus on the more common ones first though, like clay, mud, sand, and the different rock types

8. Senpai Deviljo

Ah okay, It'll be cool if u tried to make some of the blocks semi animated. But i'm sure that'll take lots of practice.

9. Mackinz

Still looking forward to the update... hope it comes out eventually.

10. Cgeta

Animated blocks? That would be cool if it was possible. I'd make machine blocks or something :3
    But sadly, I haven't seen anything as much as even a hint about the game being able to animated blocks D:

It will come out! But I dunno when. I want to do some more blocks before posting it. Theoretically I could make an update everytime I finish a single block though.
    I usually need around a day for one block. And I want to do six more, or maybe just three. I dunno. I wish I could get more done per day >_<

Also sandstone:
    Unbenannt.png

Oooooooh c'mon

Figured everything out how to rewrite the template file and reduce the amount of match checks to literally 1 per surrounding tile and then it fails on me due to a seemingly existing limit on subMatches.
    I need a stack of at least 9 subMatches, but it cleanly cuts off after 4
    I should just stop bothering making mods :nuruundead:
    Here's the tree structure I wanted to go with:
    FullTemplateReference2.png

I'll definetly just keep the template messy how it is. There's ways to improve various small bits but I don't bother.
    Just gonna pixel around and that's it
    At least I learned something. The only reason why I even do mods

Falling tiles like sand can't use a complex template either, so they stay having repeating parts...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  11. Mackinz

Waiting for next mod update like:

[​IMG]

12. Cgeta

Dem natural blocks mang. They have to be all fluid and smoof. I guess it won't hurt if I just post the update today when I get home, and push clay and mud back to the next. Technically I've already done 8 tiles. Most are new things though, instead of retextures. They're more fun to do :3

Mackinz likes this.
  13. Cgeta

Cgeta updated ReTex with a new update entry:

Desert and Pillar update!

Read the rest of this update entry...

greenRAM likes this.
  14. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I love the new liquid. Have you thought about replacing the look of the vanilla liquids? Everything in this mod looks crazy amazing.

15. Cgeta

I wish there was something I could do with the normal liquids. But the way how they work is pretty basic. Maybe there are subtle things I could change.
    I could make the texture effects stronger, and modify them to be more crisp. Most liquid textures are fairly blurred and have a very low opacity.
    I'll see :D

Heh, I was messing around and trying if there's even remotely a chance to animate blocks.
    Somehow, the game accepts .frames files for blocks. But it's not possible to start any form of animation from them in the .material file

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  16. Senpai Deviljo

Out of curiosity, where does one get aether blocks?

17. Cgeta

You get the liquid from crafting moon dust and erchius together. Then you pour lava on top of the liquid and you get the aether dust from which you can craft the pillars.
    I got a little silly with that :p

18. Senpai Deviljo

Ah thanks weird but cool.

19. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I dug into the mod a bit and made your new liquid a replacement for the healing water. It looks rad. I also made the new block that you get from it as a replacement for the fine sand. It also looks great. I found that a lot of the mod needed to be switched over from replacement files to patch files, so I went ahead and did that too, among a few other things. If you're haveing any trouble with the patching system i can upload my changed for you to poke around in it. Also, Kaw's site: http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/json/ is worth bookmarking as well. You can't do everything with the auto patching system in there, but it works for most patches.

20. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

so not one person is going to make the undertale jokes? seeing undyne in space fills you with determination. lol but seriouly loving the mod downloading it now.