RELEASED [Storm] Enemy Health Bars

Discussion in 'User Interface' started by Shywinds, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Shywinds

Shywinds Lucky Number 13

[​IMG]
    Enemy Health Bars[Version 1.0.0]

-Health Bars Above Damaged Enemies
    -Configurable Health Color

Requirements
    -Storm

Installation
    1. Install Storm (Information on their page)
    2. Download Current Version of Enemy Health Bars
    3. Unzip and place folder in %APPDATA%/StardewValley/Mods
    4. Run game from StormLoader.exe

Downloads
    Enemy Health Bars [v1.0.3] (Updated Asset Path)
    Enemy Health Bars [v1.0.2] (Added manifest.json)

Credits
    -Shywinds (For Making This Version)
    -Pinkishu (For Original Code and Concept)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • GosuGian

GosuGian Twenty-three is number one

It was really useful, thanks!

• Edge!

Edge! Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nice, now I just need to wait for tomorrow and all my SMAPI mods will be on Storm :3

• sweetangel20

sweetangel20 Starship Captain

Thank you for this mod, it looks very handy! I just checked storm, I'll download it when it's the public release being that there are some issues that needed to be fixed for that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
          • Pinkishu

Pinkishu Phantasmal Quasar

Nice haha :) I only made the one I had to test out Storm really~ Not that interested in having health bars personally, so good to see someone else working on that

edit: neat, seems its even based on my code, looks like an older version though?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
            • Shywinds

Shywinds Lucky Number 13

Yeah, I read somewhere about modding on Stardew Valley recently, and I looked into it. Storm and SMAPI seemed to be the APIs available, but SMAPI looked like it was already getting outdated. I took up learning Storm through the examples provided, and I think it was your post of health bars that I really dug into. I rewrote different details of the code, but fundamentally it's very similar to your code.

I'm planning on later looking into other possible functionality I could add, like maybe the inner bar's color might be in an options menu, but I don't know how or if I can do that yet. Still playing around with it. I'll put you in the credits for the original idea and code that I honestly copied most of, but I learned much through it. I plan on polishing it up more.

The UI type stuff interests me, so I'm thinking of making a mod where a little heart appears above someone when you gain a heart with their character, and then the heart fades away. It's going to be fun to see the possibilities later.

• Edge!

Edge! Subatomic Cosmonaut

Could you add settings to set health bar transparency and/or show health numbers inside the bar(centralized)?
                Anyway, I love it!

• Shywinds

Shywinds Lucky Number 13

I can certainly try. I'll see what I can do later when I have more time

• bedbug1226

bedbug1226 Void-Bound Voyager

Health bars doesn't seem to be working with the latest build ?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
                    • Handsome Matt

Handsome Matt Aquatic Astronaut

Needs to be recompiled, this shouldn't happen too often in the future. Just since Storm is very new right now we're renaming lots of stuff.

bedbug1226 likes this.
                      • Shywinds

Shywinds Lucky Number 13

They update Storm so much it's really quite unbelievable. Kind of awesome really. I'll check to see if it works in a sec, and if not I'll just rebuild it with latest Storm.

bedbug1226 likes this.
                        • Shywinds

Shywinds Lucky Number 13

You posted split second before I haha. I'll just rebuild it

bedbug1226 likes this.
                          • bedbug1226

bedbug1226 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you Shywinds and Handsome Matt.

• Shywinds

Shywinds Lucky Number 13

I put the new version in the downloads already

bedbug1226 likes this.
                              • FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

So this can't be used with SMAPI at all?

Who in the everloving hell thought it would be a great idea to divide the mod base a week and a half after launch? How stupid...

• Shywinds

Shywinds Lucky Number 13

As of this point it appears SMAPI is only being maintained as to not break all the mods designed for it, and Storm is the way mods are most likely heading in the future.

• Zoryn4163

Zoryn4163 Big Damn Hero

Hi there. I'm the original creator of SMAPI, in the event that you didn't know that, and I'd just like to inform you that the decision to switch to the Storm API was taken because Storm is not only a better, more robust API, but is also being worked on by a decently sized group of people, allowing it to advance much faster than SMAPI could. Along with that, Storm is multi-layered, meaning if Stardew itself updates and breaks things, we can fix things within the API and mods will be able to become compatible again without necessarily having to update. This also allows for mods to stagnate for a long period of time without needing updates and they will still most likely work.
                                    Overall, please actually read things in the future. Maybe hop into the IRC for modding and chat with some devs? The vast majority of modding is currently being done in Storm.

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

There are multiple answers, but let me go with the best ones

1. Finding out five months in that the API everyone uses is clunky and could be rewritten is terrible. Especially if Storm abstracts the game so that for example, a mod developed and abandoned should mostly likely work as long as the API it calls isn't deprecated.

2. And if you are going to make any major changes, early is better than later, especially if the game is still being updated. This means that the original modders are still around.

Zoryn4163 and Shywinds like this.
                                      • WirlWind

WirlWind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's because SMAPI was a "stop-gap" API that can't do a lot of what people will want out of mods in the future.

Would you rather be stuck with a limited API and limited mods?

Didn't think so. How about you be less of a douche and thank the people who are WORKING FOR FREE so that you can make an awesome game better.

Zoryn4163 likes this.
                                        • Pinkishu

Pinkishu Phantasmal Quasar

Hehe ^^ If you wondered, the max health > health check is because CA seems to read the max health from the monster data. but then e.g. slime still modifies the health further, but max health seems to never get adjusted for it