About the largest house and customization

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RobertRevenge, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

I'll be blunt.
    The nursery should not be a forced feature of your house. I don't want kids right now in my game, but I have to have the nursery taking up room because I wanted the extra space.
    I feel like 10k gold or so should be taken off the maximum size house, and the nursery can be a 10k conversion of that room, or just add on yet another extra room to the left of the large room in the north of the large house.

I feel slightly punished for wanting more space in my house by being given a room I can't really do anything with other than have kids.

Salamander Sundaes and Hinayuna like this.
    • christhekiller

christhekiller Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like it. Perhaps 15k and x amount of wood and stone for the second expansion, and then another 10k and the 150 hardwood for the nursery. And perhaps after you get the second expansion you could maybe customize some expansions into the black ether around your house. Or even just a few more rooms or features your spouse won't go into so you can load your statues and stuff out of their way.

Salamander Sundaes likes this.
      • M.Car

M.Car Space Penguin Leader

Basement would be neat. Would necessitate a separate map but having an area where you can throw down whatever you want and not have to worry about being in the way?

• M.Car

Also I'd like to be able to build a roofed structure I can set my furnaces and stuff in. Like a gazeebo or a pavillion or something that I can use for crafting. Make it like a barn or something, but it's just a roof and some posts that go transparent when you walk under them.

• RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the idea of non-instanced buildings for storing furnaces, kegs, crystalizers, etc so you don't have all these potentially fragile machines around your farm in the open.

And actual customization of our houses, especially being able to pick and choose specific room types, would be great. I love my large house, but I'm given a room I don't need nor want.

• M.Car

I'd also like to be able to change the wallpaper in the little hallway that leads to the nursery. Because the stuff that's there is not my cup of tea. But changing the wallpaper in the nursery doesn't change the hall. I can change the floor though, and it seems weird that I can change that and not the wall.

I also wouldn't be against having my bedroom on the upper floor. Because the nursery is way too far away. Use the (huge) bedroom space as a study or something. Maybe have an option to move the bed to predefined locations in the rooms of the house. So if it's in that room it's always in that spot... not fully custom but much easier to account for NPC movements and not screwing the player.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

My opinion, that room across from the Nursery.. or "Hall" is such a weird shape, I don't know what anybody would actually use such a room for. It looks like a dead-end hallway that is about twice as wide as a normal hallway would be, and I'm looking at that, going ".... wut?"

I don't even know what to even decorate that with.

I would also second others' opinions that there should be an upstairs, because the house's exterior makes it look like there should be a 2nd floor.

• M.Car

That's what the nursery is. There's stairs there that imply you're going to a second floor.

Also that room at the top of the stairs is currently my sitting/trophy room. Table and benches and some trophies on the left of the stairwell. I think I have a potted plant up there too. I had toyed with it for a television room and was gonna make my main room a kitchen/dining room. But the kitchen just looked so empty. You could also use it as a place to stick your longer-term machinery. Kegs and crystal-farms and such. Means they're not out in the rain all the time.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Weird... I never noticed there being stairs there.

• M.Car

Yep, totally stairs. I'd kinda like to put my rug on them and have some of the stairs lines be visible, so it'd look like a runner. Because that'd just be bomb.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

They must be hidden rather well or something because I sure didn't notice them.

EDIT: Looking at a screenshot I STILL don't see the stairs:

[​IMG]

OH. You mean those little steps in behind the TV? lol. That would make the house doubly deep and there'd be nothing on the first floor underneath the nursery.... lol. That's a weird way to do it.

• M.Car

The horizontal lines in the little hall north of the TV. Where one floor pattern ends. That pattern between the dark brown and the light brown is stairs.

They literally start where the sprite for the TV ends.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That does not in any way look like actual stairs to 2nd floor, lol. No offense or anything, but uh. Yeah.

• M.Car

Keeping in mind that it's adjusted to fit on just one map, the INTENT of the stairs is to lead to a second floor.

The effectiveness clearly varies, but I got the intention pretty quickly. It's not a PERFECT solution, but without adding a load wall I understand why it was done that way.
                              It doesn't change the fact that that 'northern' area is supposed to be the second floor.

It would have been more effective for the stairs to start further into the bottom floor and end further into the top floor, but that'd cut into your customizable space. So compromises and whatnot.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Not understanding what is so bad about having a load zone in the house, like Robin's house does?

• M.Car

Not saying it's bad, but it's another area the dev'd have to code and this could have just been the simplest solution to the problem at the time, is all.

Earlier in the thread I said a basement would be cool, and you'd have to instance that onto the house. So definitely down for a load wall.

• yuukiw

yuukiw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really would look it if the updates would just improve your avaible black space and you your self could build the rooms for xd amount wood and Stone. Kinda like in an Bad building game like evil Genius.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There's a point there, though, where you end up with a huge interior and a tiny exterior and it just gets silly, that's why people try to keep sizes and shapes respectable that way when you step into a house, you don't get the "did I just teleport to another dimension or something?" feel.

Newbie RPGMaker users will sometimes do this and it is plain to see that they've yet to master some of the simplest design concepts.

• yuukiw

yuukiw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the sizes in itself shoudl be the same (the profile of the house area).
                                        You just should be able to place the tiles yourself.

• M.Car

Easy fix? Instead of placing ROOM tiles, place the blackspace walls instead. That way the square footage stays the same, but the houses can differ wildly in layout.