WIP Diverse StardewValley - Hiatus / I'm dead.

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by notsnufffie, Mar 13, 2016.

1. notsnufffie

notsnufffie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Was disappointing with the lack of diversity in SDV, started making these for myself but thought others might like them as well. I'm planning on doing all the characters in the game, at the moment I'm trying to get them done in family groups. Though I'm a bit all over the place.

I won't be doing "original skin tone" versions.

Notice / update:
    • Tablet and now photoshop are acting up. Fun.
    • Download All added.
    • Updated Haley. Added light to her eyes.
    • Alex is done.
    Working on:
    • The Wizard (Chinese)
    • Pam
    • Sam (ftm), Kent, Jodi, Vincent
    • Shane, Jas, Marnie.
    • Alex, and his grandparents (Samoan) (50%)
    Second round edits that will happen sometime before the end of the world:
    • Minor Maru portrait edits I've been meaning to do forever. (50%)
    • Ravi!Harvey is coming but I want to get the rest of them done before I start double upping on characters I've already done.
    • Blond Haley.
    • PoC Penny and Pam.
    Requests / things to come:
    • Disabled character, female Clint, FtM character, drag-queen, Hispanic, Hawaiian, Muslim (hijab), Indian.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Note: Maru's hair came out cool but I still want to do a natural more fro version at some point.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

How to install:​
    1. Download and extract the WinRAR file, the .xnb files you need will be inside.
    2. Open your Stardew Valley folder. For example mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content
    3. The portrait .xnb files goes into Content\Portrait and character .xnb files will go in Content\Character
    4. Rename the files you're going to replace, for example if you're replacing Haley rename Haley.xnb to HaleyBAKCUP.xnb. (or move them to a safe location.)
    5. And you should be good to go. Time to play
    Note to self: add readme's the files to downloads at some point.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    • hikarushirou

hikarushirou Scruffy Nerf-Herder

She's so cuuute! Looks at that hair~ <3 Does this mean you plan to make a tan Sebby or Sam? * v*

Tris42 and notsnufffie like this.
      • Marose

Marose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OMG This is perfect!! She looks so good, please do everyone! :up:

• bishy_harbinger

bishy_harbinger Void-Bound Voyager

Why is the mod that made Maru and Demetrius white racist, but this mod which changes the white people to black not considered racist as well?

Edit: It was just a question. I remember seeing people getting very up in arms about the white-washing mods of Maru and Demetrius, so I felt the reaction to this was a bit hypocritical.
          You guys didn't have to flip out, on both sides of the issue. Christ.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
          • laidjon

laidjon Orbital Explorer

Because they are both not racist. It's a mod. You use it or not. It's not rocket science. People who make a problem are the real racists.

On the mod itself; are you going to change Emily too? Since they are sisters and all. I'm not going to use this mod myself, but the quality is nice.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
            • Middeer

Middeer Void-Bound Voyager

This looks wonderful! I look forward to seeing the rest. `v`

notsnufffie likes this.
              • AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• notsnufffie

Demetrius and Maru are the only people of color in the game. Whitewashing them removes the very little representation the game has. White people don't need more representation. They can pick up any game, see any movie, watch any tv show and see characters like themselves. POC are so often only in movies, tv show, etc as minor characters or to meet a "we have POC and therefor not racist" quota.

I'm making over some of the characters in Stardew Valley as POC because frankly I almost didn't buy the game because I was so disappointed with the lack of representation. You don't have to use the mod, like I won't use the whitewashed Demetrius and Maru. But I know I wanted to play a game with a more diverse cast of characters, and know there are people out there that might want to as well, so I thought I'd share.

@laidjon Thanks. I'm trying my best the match the style of the game. Yes! I'm doing Emily too. I just finished it up this morning. I don't have time to test her file at the moment but I will have her uploaded tonight.
                @hikarushirou Thanks! <3 Yes, I'm doing Sebastian, though he will be a minor edit. Sam's not in the works yet but I do plan on doing him as well.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
                • Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

Oh for the love of...

While I disagree to a large part of what @notsnuffie is saying about there needing to be representation up to a certain quota, instead opting to take the stand of the personality makes the character, not the color of their skin - it doesn't matter. The mod exists, and it's GOOD the mod exists, because more choice is better, not worse. This holds true for ANY mod. Besides, it's a single player game. Your experience isn't damaged just because someone else is playing a game with a colored Haley. Everyone is free to download or not download the mod as they please. I choose not to download the mod, but I will happily praise the mod for existing, and the creator for making it, because now people can CHOOSE whether to use it or not, whereas previously they couldn't even make the choice. Choice, no matter whether you choose yes or no, is ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL good for the consumer.

Finally, bringing up the racism discussion doesn't give any constructive criticism and is quite literally just throwing rocks in the pond to see if you can get the water murky. Let's not do it.

• Beret

Beret Subatomic Cosmonaut

This mod looks fantastic! I was wondering if you were going to do Robin as well, if it's not too much to ask for. I would definitely use that. :)

• polyanos

polyanos Seal Broken

This has to be the biggest BS I've read to date, no actually the hysteria around the other mod was the biggest BS I've read to date.

• Qwynn

Qwynn Industrial Terraformer

Well said.

Looking forward to seeing a more diverse cast of characters for Stardew.

• pigeonsmall

pigeonsmall Orbital Explorer

I'd like to see your version of Maru.

tamlen likes this.
                          • Cimeni

Cimeni Phantasmal Quasar

Because people want to have their cake (bitch about people changing black to white) and eat it too (then go around and make white into black). They feel victimized and in turn play the childish game of "haha well I'll QQ and then do the same thing!"

As for the actual mod itself, I'm rather fond of her hair. Beads, yes, yes, do like very much! I can't say that I like it--because I'm not for whitewashing Maru or Demetrius, or blackwashing anyone else--but for those that like it, aesthetically, it is very pleasing :nuruflirt:

• pigeonsmall

pigeonsmall Orbital Explorer

Pfft can I just use this as a Maru sprite?

• bishy_harbinger

bishy_harbinger Void-Bound Voyager

You could probably just rename the file as Maru.xnb and replace it and it would work.

• Izzabelle

Izzabelle Former Staff

There is nothing wrong with changing the color of someone's skin in a mod. Whether that color is white or black, green or purple. Racism doesn't come into play unless the mod author is secretly racist or blatantly being racist with the mod. The first we can't assume, the second is not an issue here.

So let's drop the racism talk.

• BunnyBuns

BunnyBuns Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you Izzabelle I've been checking out these race mods and just seeing eons and eons of hate on them
                                    If you dont like the mod dont download it or leave a comment on it I mean come on!
                                    [​IMG]

Anyway she looks very cute! Ohmygoshy please please PLEASE do Eliot with long dread locks (maybe tied back?) I personally prefer that over the fabio look [​IMG]

Zovino, addy468, Acerbicon and 7 others like this.
                                    • Qwynn

Qwynn Industrial Terraformer

@notsnufffie - Something to keep in mind is that:
                                      It's implied Emily is the Wizard's daughter, so it'd be great if that subtle resemblance was maintained.

Great work!

'Kay, but that's not how racism works.

• notsnufffie

@Beret | Robin is on my list! She's going to get a makeover along with Sebastian, Maru and Demetrius. I'm trying to do them in family groups. It's all taking a bit longer then I'd like so be patient with me.

@Qwynn | Thanks. <3
                                        Oh! This changes everything. I don't know what I'm going to do with the Wizard yet. Ummm. When I cross that bridge I'll just have to redo Emily. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up.

@pigeonsmall | I'm not sure using my Haley mod would work for Maru. There are different faces for different dialogue, it would be a bit of a mess. :/ I am working on Maru. Should be up sometimes this week if I don't get busy with work.

@BunnyBuns | Thanks!! Elliot will be down the line at some point. Haven't nailed down how I want to go with him yet. Long dreads do sound amazing! AND IN THIS LITTLE SUIT! Oh dear!!

Abokado likes this.