RELEASED Cats instead of Children

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Delsin7, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

A quick replacer mod for those of us who'd rather have moar pets instead of children. Inspired by taintedwheat http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/can-someone-mod-the-children-into-two-cute-dogs.109523/ .

I am unable to test the cat sprites fully, ie the toss animation mostly as I am past that point in-game, and appreciate any helpful feedback on any floating pixels or whatnot that needs clearing up. Screenshots will be most appreciated and compensated by internet cookies. This is still 'Technically' a WIP Beta version, but in several hours of testing it seems stable and the colours are about where I want them. Hopefully others will like it and be inspired to make their own fave pets.

Sprite sheet pics are up. The BASE pic or Midget Siamese pics are a good starting point if you want to (more easily) do your own colouring.

Will also work on the dog variant more soon.

Edit: 3/26 Version 5 of Tabby Cat
    3/27 Version 5 of Grey Cat, Purple Cat, Midget Siamese

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    • MikSacred

MikSacred Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I adore you. Cats. I love them so much. I kept wishing I could replace the babies with my kittens... Gunna be kinda weird having a cat in a crib though lol. Will test this and try to send screens when I can. :D

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

-OUTDATED-

Okies, cleaned up the sprites a bit and made basic versions of a grey cat and purple cat.

Attached Files:

• Qwynn

Qwynn Industrial Terraformer

Not that weird!

It's fairly common for fosters of kittens to use a a crib or playpen (usually the mesh kind) to contain kittens of all ages, or even sickly elder cats while they are socialized into the household.

=3

• MikSacred

And now I feel less weird about it lol... Uhg now I have images of adorable kittens and poor sick kitties in my head..

Cats are the best.

• MrIce

MrIce Subatomic Cosmonaut

Screenshots?

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

-OUTDATED-

Here's a screenshot of the tabby cat. I'll upload the other colour screenies tomorrow.

Attached Files:

• digitalsonder

digitalsonder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is adorable! I want to see more screen shots before I add it thoughX3

• miryuo

miryuo Zero Gravity Genie

cool, the real baby scares me lol

• ShadowGX

ShadowGX Void-Bound Voyager

This is awesome.
                      Black cat please? :D Also, would it be possible to have 2 different colors at the same time? Two black cats would be fine I suppose, but I also kinda want a black and white one to go with it, or an all white one~

• MikSacred

I would assume all you would need to do is name it to the other filename and it should work fine. Thats what I've done but I am a wee bit away from getting children right now lol

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

I think it would be possible if you had the two cats as the normal baby.xnb and dark_baby.xnb (or whatever the seconds name is). Then you could edit your save file, make a copy first tho, so you had one light and one dark baby. Then you could just slot in the two cat replacers.

Also working on cats tonight, found a 1 pixel row that shows up during an animation. Would have worked on it yesterday, but had 2 hours of sleep and felt very sick.

Proper white and black cats are definitely in the works. (after I fix the animation error) White cat is pure white with pink nose, black would be black body, white boots, and pink nose. Modelled after some cats we had, hehe. Pure black cat could happen too.

Edit: Will have to work on cats tomorrow or at least very early morning. My E Drive (where all things Stardew is) is a bit wonky, and the scan/fix sectors is taking many, many hours.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
                          • digitalsonder

Oooo, do you think we'd get to do cat requests? So we can request a cat baby and show you the picture of it<33X3

• rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

As long as its just a recolour or minor changes, lol. I'm not a huge sprite artist so major changes would be beyond my skill range.

Got the base tabby cat almost beta-ized. Only a few grey shadow out of place pixels lingering. Fixed the flop animation. Not sure how the baby toss animation is...my baby cat is now wandering the house, looking for noms. Will prolly also go through again and recolour it for better vibrancy.

Attached Files:

• digitalsonder

Ok, could you make it so the cat has short stubby legs (so it's a dwarf/munchkin cat?) Like this
                                [​IMG]

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

I think I can do it, because the sprite is smaller than the normal cat anyways, it has tiny little feets. I'll start working on it in the next couple days and hopefully have it done sunday or monday. (also mr kitty is totes adorable)

• digitalsonder

Ok, thanks xD I won't be able REALLY enjoy it when you give me it because I don't have kids yet, but I can't wait :33

• MikSacred

I hope you don't mind but I've been (slowly) doing a recolour of your sprite sheet to try and recreate my own cats. I know you're probably busy with other stuff so I thought I might try my hand. I'm not much for art though so it's kinda tough for me. Hurts my wrist a lot. But yeah.. if it's not cool, please let me know.

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

Ah its cool mate. I'm using ConcernedApe's cat sprites anyways, hehe. Once you get it done, could you post screenies or the xnb? I'd like to see it and I'm sure sure lots of others would to. ALL THE CATS!

Edit: Cleaned up the tabby base, shadows look better, still not sure of toss animation, but overall happy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016