REQUEST Campfire Cooking

Discussion in 'Mods' started by raenevigil, Mar 18, 2016.

1. raenevigil

raenevigil Phantasmal Quasar

One thing that's bothered me so far about SDV is that you can't cook a thing until you shell out 10k for the house expansion. Why bother giving us a campfire at all if we can't cook with it?

I propose a mod that enables easy recipe cooking when interacted with, such as: fried egg, parsnip soup, vegetable stew, bean hotpot, trout soup, tortilla, pumpkin soup, roasted hazelnuts, algae soup, and fish stew.

All those items are realistically able to be cooked via campfire and without extensive prep-work that would require a full kitchen.

If some wonderful modder decides to tackle this cooking oversight I will be mucho happy. Thanks! <3

Medicell, Kabigon, tangeriney and 6 others like this.
    • swpau

swpau Ketchup Robot

Great idea! i like it v much

• raenevigil

Thanks! Here's to hoping others feel the same too :D

• Kenma

Kenma Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly the cooking system bothered me too. If anything, the house should have came with a (small) kitchen already. It doesn't strike me as very realistic to have our farmer go weeks and months without eating any homecooked meals and growing crops that aren't used for food in any way. I'd support a mod that lets you at least cook on the campfire in the beginning, if anything. Thanks for the request. :)

Medicell and raenevigil like this.
          • raenevigil

Agreed. I mean what person moves into a house without even a kitchenette? In the beginning one could liken renovating a run down farm to camping, thus, campfire! :D

• swpau

swpau Ketchup Robot

totally agree

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

It is pretty hard to implement. But you can use my mod to add gas-stove to the first house.

Medicell, Jokerine, Kenma and 2 others like this.
                • raenevigil

Oooooooooooooooooooo

• KingJoey

KingJoey Phantasmal Quasar

In theory you can add the cooking to a random tile on every map, but that would mean I could add a campfire somewhere so you could cook, but it wouldn't work on any campfire you place yourself.

[​IMG]

Edit: Typo.

keyten likes this.
                    • keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

Not to every. I couldn't add it to the Fireplace for example. Properties for some tiles hard-coded in the game override map Properties. Like fireplace or a fridge.

Kenma and KingJoey like this.
                      • Minkah

Minkah Void-Bound Voyager

Is anybody still working on this cause I'd love to be able to cook anywhere

Is it possible that somebody (not me I have no idea how to mod ^^'') creates a shortcut to the cooking menu so you can at least pretend you're cooking on the campire :D

• Ristray

Ristray Big Damn Hero

I like this idea a lot. I would also like to add in the idea of having to cook fish before consuming them? Like in Animal Parade, if you've ever played that.

• mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

I was Just looking for something like this I know its a necro but why dont we have this yet? Is it any more or less feasible when you take into account newer versions of SMAPI?

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

hmmm.... You could pretty easily put a cooking tile on top of linus' firepit, or on the beach firepit... I've already edited my maps, I think imma try that... :rofl:

.Lavender. likes this.
                              • .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

Was thinking the same thing. Let me know how it goes, or I may try it in my own game.

Edit: Didn't work for me. Seems to be a tile which toggles the fire on and off, but wasn't an object on the map. I'm guessing that overrides it. I'll see if I can do something as a work around.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
                                • Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

I made a small 'kitchenette' in the starting house, but the furniture that is there by default gets in the way. You can move it easily of course, but looks ugly.... And I just put the 'kitchen' action on the crate beside the fire...
                                  I wonder if you could make a "cooking pit" furniture item using custom furniture....

EDIT - Actually, I think should be possible with the Custom Farming mod... his example for a 'grill', you would just have to code in all the recipies.... And you could even put in different timings for different recipies, like making soup would take an hour when making a sandwich could take 10 minutes.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
                                    Ahrnie and .Lavender. like this.
                                  • .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

That may be my problem: I put it directly on the fire. The crate would probably be better!
                                    Beach firepit didn't work either though, and you can't light it up...

The grill in Custom Farming could work. Coding in the recipes wouldn't even be that bad if you cut back - maybe only do ones that would make sense for a campfire? Still encourages players to get the full kitchen, but the player can cook at all.

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

Ahrnie, HopeWasHere and .Lavender. like this.
                                    • Ahrnie

Ahrnie Void-Bound Voyager

I am using this, but the trouble I've had is that the object data of the "kitchen" doesn't always work, especially the one that's supposed to be the fridge. I use Tiled as a map editor with the .tbin plug in.
                                      I wonder if certain images in the tilesheets are connected with specific object information, but that sound kind of unlikely.... maybe the object information is connected to certain tilesheets? Again sounds unlikely but...
                                      Does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve this?
                                      Tanks in advance! :)

• hwayunhae

hwayunhae Pangalactic Porcupine

AFIK, you won't be able to interact with the fridge at all until you upgrade your house. the best you can do is add in tongue-in-cheek message along the lines of "the fridge door is rusted closed. what did Grandpa leave in there?!" and put up with only having access to the stove/cooking function until you can afford the larger house. Like keyten said, some objects are hard-coded in the game (the fridge action being one of them).

You can add a cooking action to certain map tiles, though. I remember doing so when editing my greenhouse and shed maps back in SDV 1.11 using tIDE. IIRC, you load up the .tbin map and right-click the stove (or cookfire) on the Buidings layer, then go to [tile properties], the [custom properties] tab, and then under [name] fill in "Action". Under [Value], fill in "kitchen".

After that, you should be able to pull up the cooking menu. This should work for any object on your map that doesn't already have properties (such as turning on or of the lights) attached to it.

You can find a list of tIDE map properties in this post:
                                        https://community.playstarbound.com...her-related-stuff.112279/page-37#post-3161825

I am still unsure whether these map properties can be easily translated over to Tiled, but if I find out I'll update this post.