RELEASED Biped Dinosaur, smaller Dino Egg + bonus female Duck

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by CaveSalamander, Mar 17, 2016.

1. CaveSalamander

CaveSalamander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dinosaurs! Small and adorable! What's not to love?

Sept '22 update: Both are now up to date!

I brought the duck sprite up to date! Now hosted on nexus (link), you'll need to use Content Patcher, or manually package the .png into .xnb format.

Dino mod is up as well! It comes with all colour files included and changes the egg and its description to match. It has some instructions on what to change to get seasonal variants to work (you'll need to adjust content.json).

~ Bipedal Dino ~
    The current dinosaur sprite wasn't really up my alley with it's ..blobby look, so I thought of making my own. A request thread inspired me to try and deviate from the quadruped model, and since there aren't many dinosaur sprites out there (yet), I thought I might as well toss my version out there.

Also, not a fan of how they lay eggs bigger than themselves. For the wellbeing of the species I shrunk the egg down from "oh my god how are you still alive" to "only slightly uncomfortably large". The description stays the same, unfortunately; I feel like pulling the objectlist into the mix could interfere with one too many things..

[​IMG]

To install, first back up the original .xnb files you want to replace in your SteamApps\common\Stardew Valley\ folder, then just paste the new files in their place.

Dinosaur.xnb
    path: Content\Animals
    EDIT: An animation was missing a pixel, added that in. Also tweaked the outline's colour to be slightly more brown.

Smaller egg:
    springobjects.zip
    path: Content\Maps
    ObjectInformation.zip
    path: Content\Data

Edit: Thanks to @eLe for updating the files, you're the real MVP! Just unpack the .zip and you're good to go! They also modified the ObjectInformation file for a more accurate description, just be aware using it may conflict with other item mods :up:

DISCLAIMER: I don't have the actual dinosaur yet (reskinned my brown chickens and a white egg for the purposes of testing the sprites) so if you have any problems, let me know!

Edit- more colours!
    In addition to the original, there are now a couple seasonal palettes to choose from, and sprites without the scutes, too, if you prefer them.
    [​IMG]
    From left to right: the original, spring, summer, fall1, fall2 and winter.

Edit 2~
    [​IMG]
    Savannah, Void and Blue Void. You can probably tell which is which.

Just rename the file you wish to use to "Dinosaur.xnb" and you're good to go!

Spring
    Summer
    Fall (red)
    Fall (orange)
    Winter

Savannah
    Void
    Blue Void

Some more preview pictures:
    [​IMG]

Crucifigo's Livestock - a sprite that stays true to the vanilla dinosaur. Also has a dino-horse.
    Pokémon Retextures - turns the dino into an Omanyte.
    Swans and Dodos, and Aptonoth - just the cutest little Aptonoth for the MonHun fans out there!
    Slime-Animals?! - dino-blobs! Pretty neat.
    Dodonga replacer for Dinosaur - doesn't roll or spit fire, still hella cool~

Honourable mention: Velociraptor Horce replacements - great for the dino-tamer aesthetic.

Do let me know of any ones I might've missed!

If you have any palette ideas/requests, toss them my way. I'll give them a shot in my free time.

You have my permission to use the sprites however you like, but I'd appreciate a mention if you post recolours/etc yourself ;)

~ Female Duck ~

The fact that all the ducks resemble male mallards was bothering me slightly, so I recoloured the buggers' heads. (Gave them a bit more cheerful eyes as well)

preview:
    [​IMG]

To install, first back up the original Duck.xnb file from your SteamApps\common\Stardew Valley\ folder, then just paste the new one in its place.

Duck.xnb

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • hikarushirou

hikarushirou Scruffy Nerf-Herder

THAT BIPEDAL DINO IS SO CUTEA SDFnlksdf i needit

CaveSalamander likes this.
      • Lavapulse

Lavapulse Phantasmal Quasar

The male-mallard thing was bugging me too! Thanks for the quick fix. Also, I feel like your dinosaur makes much more sense for the sprite's size. Kudos.

• CaveSalamander

Thanks for the kind words :DD <3
          I've added some new palette swaps into the mix, hope y'all like them~

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
            Lavapulse likes this.
          • krookodilehunter

krookodilehunter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi, the original scuteless dino download link leads to the regular winter dino.

• CaveSalamander

Oops, so it does :facepalm:
              Thanks for spotting that, should be fixed now.

• krookodilehunter

krookodilehunter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you! :)

• Minuet Melody

Minuet Melody Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wish I hadn't given Gunther my one and only dinosaur egg in my first year..

However, I absolutely adore your female duck! Ever since I figured out how to add extra breeds to my game I've been collecting recolors for more variety :)

• CaveSalamander

I feel you there; did the same myself. The thing just sits there and taunts me every time I donate stuff, I wish I could steal it back! :mad:
                    Been trying to fish a second one up (both literally and figuratively) but I'd wager it'll be a while 'till I see it..

• winterisraining

winterisraining Aquatic Astronaut

Try digging up digspots too! I found my one and only dino egg in a digspot.

• Raijyn

Raijyn Phantasmal Quasar

So, this is a lovely mod for replacing the little dino, but it really got me thinking and got my creative juices flowing for a little, feathery velociraptor. It wasn't easy, but I did make it (but have yet to see/test it, as my dino egg hasn't hatched yet), though I did have a lot of help from your dinosaur sprite sheet as a sort of "base" to help me with where to place the torso, head, etc, in the various poses.

I'm thinking of posting it as a mod on the forums, and though it doesn't look the same as yours, it served as the inspiration and a sort of 'guide' to making mine, and would like your blessing before putting it up. If you need screenshots to confirm that it's not a copy, I'd be happy to oblige. I'd also like to link to your smaller dino egg mod as, yeah... the huge egg is kind of ridiculous for a dinosaur smaller than the chickens to lay.

• oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

I really like this mod, but I think the smaller egg mod was messing with the transparency of the crystals in the mines? I reverted back to the original springobjects.xnb and they're fine now, so I assume that's what was causing it.

• Lavapulse

Lavapulse Phantasmal Quasar

The old version of xnb_node had some issues extracting and packing image transparency properly. CaveSalamander might want to update the springobjects file download.

• tiffy961

tiffy961 Pangalactic Porcupine

That dino is soooo much better, thank you for this.

It actually makes me wonder if that dino can maybe be changed into something less... adventorous? Maybe an Ostrich?

Either way, great job.

• CaveSalamander

Ahh sorry for taking so long to reply! :oops: Studying has a tendency of getting in the way..
                                That sounds super rad @Raijyn ! I'm glad my sprite was of help :DD you should definitely post it, I'd love to see the little buggers.
                                Feel free to link to the smaller egg, though it seems I'll need to update the springobjects file..

Thanks for pinging me, I'll take a look at it as soon as I can.

• CaveSalamander

Springobjects updated! The crystals should now be fixed. Also added three new colours :up:

I dunno, the spritesheet is pretty small (15x15 pixels per sprite) so an Ostritch could be kinda tough to fit.. That being said, the farmanimals file can be edited to increase the sprite's size so bigger creatures aren't an impossibility!
                                  .. Just not something I'll be looking into, wouldn't synergise well (read: at all) with other mods that alter the farmanimals file.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
                                  • Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

What? Not 16x16? That's a strange size...

• CaveSalamander

Oh :facepalm:
                                      No, it is, I'm just a derp and miscounted. Still, small.

Nurio likes this.
                                      • gobbldygook

gobbldygook Void-Bound Voyager

Finally hatched my dino egg, and after seeing the vanilla dino (as adorably pudgy as it is), had to come straight here and download your mod. Such a cute bipedal retexture! Love the color options and your duck mod, too.

• muukumuu1

muukumuu1 Void-Bound Voyager

i love your mods! i've been looking everywhere for a dino mod that wasn't just a recolor, and this is seriously perfect, they're so cute. i also really appreciate the duck mod, i tried a bunch of those too that would make the duck not-male and also not look too similar to the other animals, with no luck.

unfortunately, i've had a bit of a problem with the egg mod.

[​IMG]
                                          [​IMG]

it turned my void mayonnaise into tables.

i've already restored the original file and tested all other mods i have, including the other two i downloaded from here, and i haven't been able to recreate it with anything else. just thought i should mention it since i didn't see anyone else say anything about it.