Modding Help Non-binary farmer? is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by 414a4c, Mar 16, 2016.

1. AngryCat

AngryCat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or maybe "Hey, it's the farmer!" ...dunno, probably need to go over it again once I've actually gotten some sleep (past the 30h mark, new meds are messing with me)

Alkanthe likes this.
    • AngryCat

People with edited dialogue:
      General dialogue:
      Abigail (1 line); Alex (multiple lines); Clint (1 line, but not gendered); Emily (1 line); Elliot (1 line); George, wow, some of his dialogue...I toned him down a bit while at it though he still has some "old man" left to give a hint to his original intent; Haley (multiple lines); Elliot's married dialogue (2 lines); Pam (few lines); Marnie (2 lines)

Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter dialogue:
      George (2 lines); Haley (1 line); Josh? (few lines); Marnie (2 lines);

I hope no one would mind that I was also changing the two instances of a minor curse word in the process. While I don't care, I have a friend for whom it's a trigger for a condition that the friend in question has, and was part of the original reason I was even digging in the dialogues. Nothing really noticeable in my opinion, just Alex now goes "Man I could use a burger" and Clint says "Darn it, I'm too old-"

Think I got everything...so here's a zip with all the dialogue files. Was just easiest to compress all of them than to cherry pick atm (sorry!). If I missed anything, let me know.
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqsjlh1vq215khb/Dialogue.zip?dl=0

cuttle and Alkanthe like this.
      • endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's awesome of you to think of your friend like that. Until this mod is released, a No Cursing mod can be found here that they can use. There are two options for both Alex and Clint so the player can choose the one they like more.

As for 'farmer', what about <Character Name> after the initial meaning and introduction? That would work for the Fri dialogue. Could also work for the initial introduction if the player assumes that their character introduces themself. So, dialogue would be, "Oh, hey. So you're <Character Name>, huh? I think we're going to get along great." Or, dialogue could be changed to reflect Alex, and other villages, having heard that there was a newcomer coming and what their name was. Afterall, it is a small town and people in small towns are supposed to be outrageous gossips. So Introduction dialogue would be, "Oh, hey. I heard you were coming. <Character Name>, right? I think we're going to get along great." Though, "So you're <Charater Name>" would work here too. Especially if the modder doesn't want to edit too much of the dialogue.

EDIT: Will also work for Fri's "Hey, what's up, <Character Name>?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
          Alkanthe, AngryCat and bulbaswat like this.
        • Sky303

Sky303 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm for this idea if it means I get to become the flying spaghetti monster and everyone refers to me as simply "Your Majesty".

XaviiKinz and RoastedCoconutz like this.
          • AngryCat

Didn't think of that! Then again, I also am really lousy with code so I am typically leery of trying at such. I was exceptionally careful to try to not touch any of what looked like coding tags in the dialogue scriot when making the changes for that reason...

Alkanthe likes this.
            • endermaryn

I completely understand not wanting to break something. :viking: Maybe you can take a peek at Leah's dialogue? She is one of the villages that I can think of off the bat that calls the player by their name. Maybe her dialogue will give a glimpse as to the right code to use.

Just a suggestion that I hope may work. I actually have no idea where to even begin as far as modding this game goes. But in Baldur's Gate, getting a custom character to use the player's name was as simple as just using <charname> in the dialogue stream. I'm hoping it is simple here too.

EDIT: Robin says, "Hi there, <Character name>." at five hearts.

• bulbaswat

bulbaswat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you're having trouble with the tags, this guide might clear up what they do and how they work. I was able to understand it decently well, but I have basic experience with coding stuff, and more specifically using tags and such to access variables in dialogue text. I had some experience with rpg maker a while back where I learned the basics of using that kinda thing. I'd love to be more involved here, but I'm busy with something else at the moment, so I hope this will suffice as some sort of aid.

XaviiKinz and endermaryn like this.
                • keodau27

keodau27 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know about coding stuff but i can do some pixel art for the mod, so if everyone need i will be glad to help. I really want this mod to come true too

• Preacher

Preacher Phantasmal Quasar

I don't find words for this.. at least no nice words.

• SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Then don't bother responding unless you want to get warning points.

• endermaryn

I think the mod still needs someone to make an outfit for the bathhouse. Board shorts and a shirt was suggested. So many great short designs! Like these. Would go nicely with this shirt. ;)

Alkanthe likes this.
                        • keodau27

keodau27 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ohh, i will look into this, since i'm still at the start of the game and i havent gone to the bathhouse yet and see what i can do when i get some free times

endermaryn and Alkanthe like this.
                          • cuttle

cuttle Tentacle Wrangler

May I just say, I really appreciate and love the community and the moderators? The people in this thread have been wonderful. ♥

You've been doing a lot of awesome work and I really appreciate it.

• katgirl28888

katgirl28888 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Demetrius will also call you by name for sure at 6 hearts, and Shane at 7 or so, or when you give him a gift he loves. I think most of the villagers start to once they become your friend (5 hearts) since they're more comfortable with you

Alkanthe likes this.
                              • mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

"Hey, its the newcomer." would work to avoid gender pronounciation.

Also just a head up: as i remember, Jas will call you mister or missus in one of the conversation at 10 heart. "You are always so nice to me, mr./ms. (Name). Other adults would..."

Alkanthe likes this.
                                • endermaryn

That's right! Vincent does this to me already, calling me 'Mister' at seven hearts and possibly even before then. Good catch there!

Alkanthe likes this.
                                  • AngryCat

Crap, I didn't even think to check them. Would someone else mind taking the torch of editing the files? I'm a bit bogged down with finals / final projects at the moment.
                                    All you need is Notepad++

• Cerius

Cerius Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not completely familiar with dialogue code but it seems to refer to the players name with the '@' symbol.
                                      Example
                                      Introduction:"Hello @, it's nice to meet you."#!String

Putting this here because in most cases it's less clunky to just use the player name than to mess around with instances when he, she or they would be used.

AngryCat and Alkanthe like this.
                                      • katgirl28888

katgirl28888 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This might help with some dialogue problems

• Deltervees

Deltervees Tentacle Wrangler

If y'all decided to read the rest of Anaxgoras' post, he said to look pro coding help, not medical.