Modding Help Edit: Adoption/Pregnancy Dialogue?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Ankou, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Ankou

Ankou Scruffy Nerf-Herder

New question for the same mod, has anyone found dialogue relating to adoption, pregnancy, and birth in the files? I'd hoped it was is the spouses' marriage dialogue but they just talk about the children. I couldn't find any mention of pregnancy or adoption.

I'm also hunting for the file that has the text for the baby/crib.

Original Post:
    I'm working on a simple mod that replaces the babies/toddlers with birds and the crib with a bird cage.

I'd really like to test my textures but don't have kids or even a spouse in any of my games. Looking at Chicklet and other popular cheat/save editors as far as I can tell they can't add babies? Does anyone know a way to quickly cheat them in?

Failing that I suppose I could finish it, release a beta, and hope other people are willing to test it for me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
      ShinyUmbreon likes this.
    • Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

oooh what are you making? I bet its gonna be really gd cute

Ankou likes this.
      • Ankou

Thank you very much.

Well, keep in mind it is unfinished, completely untested, and I haven't even seen how babies behave in game as of the art I have done, but this is what I have so far.
        [​IMG] [​IMG]
        Depending on what the lovebird looks like in-game, if this spritesheet works well when it's done, I'll probably try some recolors of other species of parrot.

I'd also like to change the dialogue with your spouse and baby to make sense, more than just a re-sprite. I can't find the dialogue with the baby/crib anywhere though.

• taintedwheat

I feel it omg. How admirable! Aww... animal adoption ftw.

Thats adorable! I love the cage its much appealing to have than the crib. I'm really excited!

Ankou likes this.
          • Ankou

Thank you! Honestly having more animals is way more appealing to me than children (this includes IRL, the current bird sprite being based off of someone very special to me, my 16 year old lovebird Peanut.)
            I'd like to add more to the cage so it's more like an actual appropriate bird cage and less like a prison but need to test more before I do. Tonight though I should be able to load some cheat mods, fully upgrade a house, and spawn in a baby and really get to work on animations and positioning.

One great thing about birds is they should work alright with the narrow toddler sprites where other animals will not. I love the babies-to-cats mod but it's run into this issue and is basically stuck unless a tool comes along that allows us to use other spritesheets for existing characters. Birds might look a bit awkward or I might have to redraw it smaller (I really should test that ASAP) but they can hop around upright.

irene21000 and Jokerine like this.
            • taintedwheat

Aww, definitely like a little mirror and water dropper :3 are you going to do something to the beds?

that's really cute! i agree about the spriting issue, I'm doing something similar as a dog as a cat and its run into some movement issues (still going to keep it that way though)

I've noticed that if it was a single sprite on a single sheet you can get away with making it different sizes and be ok (from positioning the stable to fit the roof of the house better)

i wish you can just change the child npc code to be a pet code and it would help with the movement. wonder if anyone's tried that.

• SmaugBaggins

SmaugBaggins Existential Complex

Looks really pretty

Ankou likes this.
                • Ankou

Okay I made some good progress tonight and got some in game screens.
                  Overall I'm pretty happy with the animations, I need to make the hopping more dramatic when it walks and the legs more obvious but otherwise I'm pleased.

As for the cage, I may space out the bars more. I'd like to be able to see in better. I also considered an acrylic-front cage but IRL I hate those damn things because the bird cannot climb them.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
                  The fact that the toddler stage doesn't have a playing animation breaks my heart, watching the bird throw it's little ball around is worth keeping them somehow stuck a baby for.

I am still hunting for those dang adoption and pregnancy dialogue files though. At least I can rewrite the ones where your spouse is talking about your child.

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OH MY GOD!!! THIS IS FLIPPIN' INCREDIBLE!! I really wanted to replace children with something else, and I love parrots. I'm at a loss for words!!

I really hope you can get to finish this successfully and release it! I'm giddy with excitement right now! <3 And I agree with more spaced-out bars so we can see them better. I wonder if someone may make a mod to have your babies stay babies forever?

EDIT: Also you can find some saves in here if you need ways to test! :)
                    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/can-we-have-your-save-files.111999/

Ankou likes this.
                    • SmaugBaggins

SmaugBaggins Existential Complex

Good luck sir

Ankou likes this.
                      • taintedwheat

Another thing about the birdy toddler is figure out another use for the crib.

Or, once both of your baby pets become not so babies is change the beds into little places for them to rest in and erase the crib or put like a furniture replacement e.e

Ankou likes this.
                        • Ankou

I'll probably leave the crib as a cage permanently, even though the bird won't go in there anymore. It just makes sense to me that a bird room would usually have a cage in it

I haven't decided what to do about the beds. I'm thinking maybe java tree stands? And I'll have to get creative with the clipping issues due to how the beds work but I have some ideas.
                          Unfortunately I'm 98% sure they are the same sprite as the bed you use in your grandfather's level 0 house so it would definitely require the user to update the mod themselves when they've upgraded their house once or they will find themselves sleeping on a branch.

Edit: The beds may be even more of a problem than I thought they were, I suspect now the texture for them is in towninterior, which means any tan bed with a blue-lined pillowcase will be changed if I alter it. I hope no NPCs use that texture or I won't be able to change it without doing something really weird to someone's house. (... though it might be worth it because you see your house a lot more than anyone else's.)

The good news is, except for those beds and the impossible to find adoption/pregnancy dialogue the mod is almost ready for release!

New cage with toys and stuff
                          [​IMG]

Peach faced lovebird sprites are done for baby and toddlers.
                          [​IMG]
                          [​IMG]

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OMG I DIE OF CUTENESS!

I'd probably still be happy without the special dialogue. You could just refer to the parrot as a baby as endearment :p still, hope you can find the dialogue somewhere! Good luck, and looking forward to having these feathery fellows in my game! :)

RoastedCoconutz likes this.
                            • taintedwheat

Awwww cuuute! It came out great! Wow, that super cute! I mean, yeah keep it, it looks nice as a little furniture piece. Aww, I think the small trees could be a good solution for it. The bed is in town interiors o: I think it also messes with the other children beds too though o.o;

You might need someone to make a custom tiled sheet map for the farmhouse in smapi if you want their beds to be beds. xD

• SamosSage

SamosSage Void-Bound Voyager

Idk where it wold be, but Penny had mentioned to me a day or two before the birth that "we are going to have a baby soon."

When we hit our lowest point we are open to the Greatest change
                                -Aang

• Karalius465

Karalius465 Void-Bound Voyager

• Ankou

So I did the thing.
                                  I decided to go with the nexus but will probably make a thread here in a bit as well.

Anyway you can get birds 1.0 here.

Unfortunately in the end I wasn't ever able to find the adoption or pregnancy dialogue and gave up. I will absolutely edit it if anyone can ever find it.
                                  And those pesky beds will have to remain untouched due to them sharing assets with nearly every NPC bed in the entire game (the head and foot boards, as well as some beds using the covers.)

XaviiKinz, Jokerine and taintedwheat like this.
                                  • taintedwheat

Kewl, what i would suggest though is have the cage as a png because farmhouse_tiles is also used for like kitchen retextures. Idk how well that xnb bundler is but I don't think it can just pick out things on a huge map or tile sheet o:

• Ankou

The cage is the crib retextured, not replaced with a different item. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to fix this, or at least one I understand.
                                      I'm just an artist.