Modding Help How to pixelate a picture?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by forrpa, May 1, 2016.

1. forrpa

forrpa Void-Bound Voyager

I want to edit some of the furniture in my house and for example add a cute cat to the sleeping sheet.:catface: I dont want to create a cat by hand because I want to change a lot of things and it will take too much time! So how do I do it? Can you do it in Graphics Gale for example? Like upload a picture of a cartoon cat and pixelate it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

technically you....can.... but its gonna look like crud.
      I don't think any program has a "make this 100x smaller and still look good" button. Usually when you shrink and pixelate something, so much data is lost that it only slightly resembles the rough shape of what it used to be, doubly so when you need something this small.
      Your best bet would be asking someone in here who knows how to pixel art properly to sketch one up for you.

• Cardinite

Cardinite Industrial Terraformer

Going off of what Aemi said, there isn't really a surefire way to turn a regular image into pixel art and have it look good. One alternative would be to find an image of a cat, scale it down, and try tracing the major shapes. If it's for personal use nobody should have an issue with that, and if you modify the original enough to make it your own even if you did distribute it as a mod that shouldn't be a problem either.

There are lots of tutorials out there for making pixel art from scratch too, I'd recommend you watch one or two on the topic to see if it's something you'd want to work on before you start!

• Dentrala

Dentrala Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The real answer to "how" is work, unfortunately.

Besides that, scaling down, scaling up and fiddling is an ok bootleg if you're just ok with something unpolished.

• forrpa

Ok, thanks for answering! Its only for my personal use so I dont care if its not perfect, but maybe I should try to make it from scratch then! How do I scale down?

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

what i suggest to do is:
              -- go to pets/horse subsection of this forum,
              --get a cat image from one of the cat spritesheets/.pngs -- each of those little sprites will be spaced on a 32x32 pixel square grid
              --open a new canvas and paste the desired sprite you want in it (canvas size should be 32x32px too)
              -- scale that down to either 24x24 ((i think this its actual sprite size now)) or 16x16 (which would be the smallest you can go in unit-size wise of the game.
              --copy and paste that to whatever furniture you so desire.

I guess you can try to jimmy it to 8x8 but that requires a lot of manual pixel love on your end ((depending on how much of a perfectionist you are))

• forrpa

Sorry to be such a newbie but I still dont know how to scale it down! Can I do that in GraphicsGale?

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I dont use that program, but scaling it down is under something like edit image size.

• swpau

swpau Ketchup Robot

I just use the PhotoImpact to edit paintings of furniture.png file...there are several steps of creation (from my experience):
                    ~find drawing material from network (download some pic which can enlighten me to draw a new painting)
                    ~use PhotoImpact to scaling down those pic(nearly to the pixel standard) in order to let me easier to redraw the main image of the pic
                    ~use PhotoImpact to draw a new pic (redraw the main image of original pic(sometime i will change the motion of the image when i drawing) + create background and fix color)

I think any art software can edit all pixel pic ...not only GraphicsGale

• Cardinite

Cardinite Industrial Terraformer

I'd recommend using GIMP for the entire process, it's free to use and most likely has the most tutorials and help resources available after Adobe programs like Photoshop & Illustrator. I've never heard of GraphicsGale and judging by the responses here I don't think many people here have either. You'd have a bit more luck getting a step-by-step walkthrough from other pixel artists by using a more popular program such as GIMP or Photoshop.

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

I found a really low res picture of snakes and shrank it to fit it inside The Red Room of Bus Stop Storage. It really does not look like snakes anymore but it does look pretty freaking sinister.

https://gyazo.com/b58ea3ab3e0171a812d7f1e412629525

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, I'd love to get a kitty on the couch too! Good luck and hope you can share your results with us :)

• forrpa

What is network? :)

• forrpa

Right? I would love to have cats everywhere xD My first cat: upload_2016-5-2_8-57-32.png

Rosalie likes this.
                              • forrpa

Yeah I think I will start using that instead. Thanks for the tip!

• swpau

swpau Ketchup Robot

sorry...Eng. is not good..it means wetsite

• Delta9

Delta9 Subatomic Cosmonaut

When you said cute cat, I thought more of something like this:
                                    [​IMG]
                                    Would anyone want me to add that kind of thing to the furniture?

taintedwheat and Jokerine like this.
                                    • forrpa

upload_2016-5-2_12-1-9.png
                                      Are you saying that this is not cute? :wot::wot:

taintedwheat likes this.
                                      • swpau

swpau Ketchup Robot

i think drawing style of two cats are different the grey cat look like an adult cat and ur cat is a kitten..two are cute too..to me ^__^

taintedwheat likes this.
                                        • Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Both cats are adorable! <3