REQUEST Breedable horses - brainstorming ideas

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Zhuria, Mar 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

So I've been doing a lot of thinking about how breedable horses could be implemented. I have no coding experience (at least none that is relevant here) but if someone wanted to work with me on this, I would be willing to handle all or most of the art side. There's a pretty big market for games with more complex horse mechanics; the equestrian community is also pretty active in the video game one.

Here are my ideas so far - hopefully this all makes sense. PLEASE feel free to join in and add ideas or discuss mine!

Stables
    1. Upgradeable buildings like the barn and coop where horses live. I can't picture this being too difficult.
    Horses
    1. Make them like other livestock; a separate thing from rideable horse (at least in the beginning?). Would basically just be adding another animal to the game or cloning the cow and swapping the sprites. Sprites will need to be touched up to work with the cow sheet but I'm willing to do this.
    2. 2-3 life stages (foal, yearling (maybe), adult)
    3. Buy basic colours from Marnie? Or maybe only acquirable through breeding?
    4. Breedable. Either a) you can own stallions or b) Marnie has a random one each day/week (or both)
    5. Realistic genetics. Extension, agouti, gray, cream, dun, roan, pinto patterns, appaloosa patterns, random white markings (I have a fairly good grasp on this stuff)
    Goals
    1. Add some kind of request board where you get requests for a certain colour horse which you can accept, and gives you goals to breed towards? Much like current quests, but last for longer (or indefinitely) and detect horse's genes.

Complex ideas/further down the road/miscellaneous
    1. More complex: Buy saddles (and bridles?) and equip your horses to ride them
    2. Maybe make the vanilla horse your "first mare" that you breed to get more horses? So everyone starts off with a chestnut, the most basic of colours. Incest won't be huge issue if only Marnie has stallions. Maybe if you breed a male horse it's born a gelding (neutered), so you can only breed with Marnie's stallions.
    3. Different horse breeds (with limited gene possibilities if applicable)
    4. Cosmetic equippables for horses?
    5. Riding clothes/hats for player
    6. Decorations for the farm like jumps etc.

Thanks for looking!

IronZelly, mruton, michiewolf and 3 others like this.
    • nickelcurry

nickelcurry Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would loooove a genetics kind of thing. A bit of racing or something might also be interesting. Maybe not an actual racing mini-game, more like you can "send horse to race" and then get the results or something. Or maybe that's too complicated. :D;;

Colleen95 and Zhuria like this.
      • Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

That could be cool! I think racing might be the only thing that would "work" as far as disciplines go. Maybe each horse has different stats (either 1 speed stat, or have speed/endurance/something else etc.) and you don't really know what they are other than if you see a horse winning or losing, and you want to breed those stats on. Kind of like real life. Maybe it has good stats or maybe it's just lucky and you end up with a slow foal, lol.

Colleen95 and nickelcurry like this.
        • l4ng4m

l4ng4m Orbital Explorer

omg yes

• RoastedCoconutz

RoastedCoconutz Pangalactic Porcupine

Hell yeah!! I went nuts with horse-breeding in Minecraft (before I figured out that the algorithms kept it from being very workable) and it would be way fun to do it in SDV.

cankersaur and Zhuria like this.
            • karamany

karamany Void-Bound Voyager

HELL YEAH, i always thought the horse is dull even tho its my favourite, there are nearly no mods to change the loks ( i cant find any myself, if anyone has on, please link me) ad its only the vanilla brown horse, if theres a big stable to breed them in it would be awesome, maybe even give you a few choices to the horse you start with maybe marnie gets a new horse per week and you can buy your first one for a small price from her, you can wait till you find one you like and buy it :3 the horse ideas seem too cool and it would be awesome to have them

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

I have tons of recolours here! :) http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/zhurias-horse-edits-recolours.108022/#post-2801676

• karamany

karamany Void-Bound Voyager

Zhuria likes this.
                • ThitPoulsen

ThitPoulsen Subatomic Cosmonaut

oh god yes, please please make this happen ♥.♥

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Waiting for the FarmHand API to make this possible. Without getting too technical, it's currently very difficult to add truly original content to the game because of how the save-game serializer works.

Zhuria likes this.
                    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

A thousand times YES PLEASE omg. I would fill my farm with horses. <3

I use your Friesian recolor for my horse btw, I love it! n_n

Zhuria likes this.