WIP BaldDew Valley - Everyone is Bald - Critique Needed!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Ciriun, May 11, 2016.

1. Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

So for practice at my sprite work and as stage one in a bigger, better mod I intend to be working on for quite some time, I am making all of the residents of Stardew Valley bald. Because I am still a novice at sprite work, I really need some expert eyes to help me get important details like anatomy and shading right.

So I present to you... Bald Marriage Candidates!
    BaldDewValley1.png

mrobake likes this.
    • Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

Haley and Maru look fine, but the other ladies' heads seem a little short/strange.

mrobake, XaviiKinz and Ciriun like this.
      • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I am not very good at perspective drawing. They are definitely misshapen, but I'm not certain of how to fix it.

• zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ya need to give em more head

...huehuehue.

But, yeah, I feel like I should donate to St Jude now.

Try add an extra row of pixels to widened until it looks a bit better for some of em. Use Maru and Haley as a template for those facing forward, though depending on who, may try decreasing an equal row of pixels on the outside. For the side profile, Alex looks alright. Ya could use him as a base to have an idea.

Also, Harvey looks alright too.

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

You should just replace everyone with Bruce Willis -- or use his face and head as a template because it perfectly bald

mrobake and Ciriun like this.
            • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

Alex, Harvey & Fabio look pretty cool, and the ladies give me immediate 'Star Trek' vibes (that's more from my familiarity with ST than anything else).
              Also, make BDV a thing. Yoba compells you.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
                mrobake and Ciriun like this.
              • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

:giggle: You guys are too funny. I probably will make it a mod since for other things I'm going to have to remove all the hair anyway. I'll also probably make them available as templates if anyone should wish to have a pre-balded version of a character to put new hair or whatever on.

I should have some time tomorrow to try to do some touching up on this, so with any luck there will be improvement soon.

foghorn likes this.
                • sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

The thing with heads is that they all have a different shape to them. That's what makes doing them from the side a bit difficult.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Thank you soooo much for the pile of references! And here is the update, proving once again that the first pass is always garbage. :p

BaldDewValley1.png
                    BaldDewValley2.png

Everyone but Alex and Harvey got some adjustments, like Haley having a functional shoulder now, and Sebation's hood being finished. And I still can't seem to make Abigail look like a human being.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
                      XaviiKinz and Deadcoffee like this.
                    • sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

Probably because she's a wizard. WINK WINK

Ciriun likes this.
                      • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

Maru, Leah & Penny = much more feminine :confirm:
                        Fabibald = well done working with his weird "I'm always glancing at a mirror" portrait :confirm:
                        Sam = still strange to me, but I think it's because I've never seen a bald Super Saiyan before :confirm:
                        Sebastian = dat fivehead doe :confirm:
                        Haley = functional shoulders are over-rated :confirm:
                        Abigail = [Insert "Abigail ___ ever human"-joke here]

You certainly are improving quickly, and even the first sprites are far better than I could have done! Yoba would be proud.

• dintern

dintern Astral Cartographer

Dude, your second attempts are so much better! Congrats. I think that for Abigail, Leah, Penny and Elliot you need to make the back of their heads stick out more. It kinda' looks like their head and neck are almost on the same line. It also helps to do the shading/outline in a way that makes them look like they have a defined forehead. The head isn't completely smooth and ball like, in fact the forehead usually is only slightly curved and flatter/straighter than the rest of the head. Defining this area more would make the portraits look less 'off'.

• Deadcoffee

Deadcoffee Void-Bound Voyager

The updated version is so much better, looks fantastic :iswydt:

If you want to further improve Abigail (and maybe Leah too), I guess you could try overdoing it a bit, like - make their heads too big and then compare the two versions. Maybe that way you will see which pixels are in the right place and which need adjusting. Also - flip the image horizontally if you haven't done that yet, it's confirmed to be a great way for spotting your own mistakes (not sure if everyone is aware of it).