1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Race

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FearnWAZZA, May 11, 2016.

1. FearnWAZZA

FearnWAZZA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi all,
    So I've looked around the internet, found many people with the general question of 'preference of race', but I couldn't find anywhere with specific statistics. So without further ado, here is a Straw Poll of each race. I am hoping that whoever reads this would share it with their fellow Starbounders so we could compile a most accurate representation of the general players preference.
    http://www.strawpoll.me/10183711

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

i like the novakid best as a race, but i kinda hate the spacetrain and cowboy armor. hylotl and floran ships are much better.

3. Glitchspeare

Glitchspeare Void-Bound Voyager

I like the glitch. Probably just because I play as them.

Axe Garian, Jimlad 42 and FearnWAZZA like this.
  4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Fish > Star People > Robots > Birds > Boring Yet Stylist Humans > Plants > Apes

Just imo of course and with different reasons.

Fish look cool and have style.
    Star look cooler than the fish but lose points as I hate the cowboy look.
    Robots are neato with even better armor, they lose points simply for lore reasons.
    Bird are cool but their clothing and armor kinda honestly sucks imo.
    Humans would normally be at the bottom of the list but they have some of the best clothing and hair styles of all of the races.
    Plants are cool but the "hair" choices and such sucks imo.
    Apes are apes, basically hairy humans but with no style points going for them.

Jimlad 42 and FearnWAZZA like this.
  5. Wingidon

Wingidon Phantasmal Quasar

I am personally a fan of the Glitch. I just love the medieval theme, and most of their gear is cool and appealing to my armor-loving tastes (until you reach Tier 5 gear and beyond, the armor gets a bit too repetitive then). Also they get a pig as a pet. Do you know how wondrous are pigs?

The humans are cool too. Altrough overall they are very generic, their quotes on inspection can be golden.

6. King Kitteh

King Kitteh Starship Captain

I really don't mind playing as any of the race. I usually pick them only for their ships. I find the Apex and Avian ships to be too tall and 'unshiplike'. Glitch is okay, but I feel like it forces me to use a castle theme which I don't often want to. Novakid ship is too long and annoying to navigate. Thus I mostly play as humans, hylotl and floran. I usually play humans because I like their starting clothes the most. Gotta love dat cool jacket!

Edit: I just did the poll and I must say, you should have chosen a different site. Having to check a box to say you aren't a robot, and then disallowing access to those who do not check is both demeaning and offensive to glitch players. Please change it and check your privilege.

7. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Just want to say that I love that comment so much.

8. FearnWAZZA

FearnWAZZA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My deepest apologies from the bottom of my Apex heart, to all Glitch whom were incapable of participating in this survey due to, well. being robots.

9. Wingidon

Wingidon Phantasmal Quasar

Forgiving. I appreciate your understanding to the problems we Glitch have to bear in our internet lives, and accept your apology.

10. Glitchspeare

Glitchspeare Void-Bound Voyager

Harsh. You should have thought of that before you started the link. Sympathetic. I understand, though. We aren't all Glitch, and sometimes we fall into bad habits.
    Note: Guilty. Wingidon, my reply is basically a copy-off of yours. Apologetic. I'm very sorry.

11. King Kitteh

King Kitteh Starship Captain

Oh yeah, I also hate glitch for the way they announce their mood before each sentence. Yeah, equality or whatever, but they're still annoying.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  12. GilieBR

GilieBR Void-Bound Voyager

Floran all the way!
    Never played with other race.
    I just love the aessstheticsss sssso much!

13. Fenrakk101

Fenrakk101 Space Spelunker

I'm surprised the odds are stacked so much against the humans... I always felt like I was the only person who hated playing as normal people, it now feels weird to think I'm not in the minority.

Though I would kind of like to see the results broken down more - i.e., favorite race (character design) vs. favorite ship design vs. favorite theme (medieval for Glitch, Egyptian for Avian, etc.) I might set up a Google form survey polling those questions so I can also come up with statistics for how many people like every aspect of their favorite race, how many people enjoy races because of/in spite of their theme, etc.

Personally Hylotl are my all-around favorite race, although I feel that largely has to do with me being put off by the other races for one reason or another. Most notably, the Novakid ship really bothers me because the corridors between "rooms" of the ship follow the design of the room in front of it, which really detracts from the aesthetic for me. If they were generic black connecting tubes, I'd be sold.

14. Elitarymouse

Elitarymouse Master Chief

Florans are my most favourite race :3
    The second ones are Novakids :3

15. GilieBR

GilieBR Void-Bound Voyager

We are humans in real life. Why in hell I should play as human in the games too?
    NEVER!

16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Humans are my favorite. I like the other races, Novakid especially, but not enough to play as them as regularly. Plus I like the backstory.(I don't get how ill square away the Terran Protectorate thing, but that's a wait and see sort of thing.)

17. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Apex. Looks like they're really low on that poll at the moment. Remember, they're not apes, they are scientists.
    Well. They're my favorite lore-wise and all that, because all hail Miniknog ofc. Avians close second in lore imo. But I do admit, the Florans have the best ship, and the Novakid are just so shiny.

18. phichikapparho

phichikapparho Subatomic Cosmonaut

I still have yet to play apex and human because those are the least asthetically pleasing races to me.

For awhile floran was my favorite because of the ship and the pet. But eventually I got tired of the race itself.

Glitch are my current favorite but I dont like the pet. Lol.

As someone else has stated, I would be more inclined to play as a human if I wasnt one.

19. KaZe_DaRKWIND

KaZe_DaRKWIND Big Damn Hero

Floransss of courssse :lickitung::oops:

Zetamax, Jimlad 42 and FearnWAZZA like this.
  20. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

Floran Massster Plantsss.