WIP Stardew Valley: The Truth is Out There!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cankersaur, Jun 22, 2016.

1. cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

(Edit: The formatting got super weird. My bad.)
    You know what's great? Stardew Valley. You know what else is great? The X Files.
    You know what would be *really* great? ...No, other than 1.1. ...No, other than another season of -- yeah, I'm just going to tell you.
    X-Files characters in Stardew Valley!
    [​IMG]
    So we know that the dwarves might be of extraterrestrial origin, and let's not even get started on all the crazy stuff going on in the caves. We've got a writer in Elliot, a stargazer in Maru, a programmer who presumably spends some time on the internet in Sebastian; surely someone must have noticed something's up. Even just the meteors crashing and the strange capsules are enough to raise a few brows.

How would we introduce them?
    Glad you asked! Picture it for us: Harvey fiddling with his radio one evening at the clinic, heaving a sigh when all he picks up is fragmented static. He rises to go make himself something to eat, and when he returns with his customary bologna sandwich, is surprised to hear the faintest noise emanating from the headphones on his desk. Still chewing, he balances his plate as he tries to reach for both dials and headphones. Cut to a dramatic shot of the plate crashing to the floor, sandwich forgotten, Harvey's eyes going wide: this is not a regular transmission. He rises, looks out the window -- and there it is. Not a plane, no, but something... something spooky.
    *cue theme music*
    Ideas!
    Here's what I'm thinking: full characters of both Mulder and Scully (~8 portraits?), maybe marriageable), maybe with Skinner and CSM included as well (fewer portraits, maybe four). They pop up to investigate something and end up deciding to stay a while and check things out further. Some events/cut scenes would be fantastic. Add a few items from the show (an "I want to believe" poster, if we can make it recognizable at that size; maybe stash Max's MUFON cap in Pam's trailer as a reference to that, and maybe a few other things), some wild conjecturing, and plenty of references.
    [​IMG]
    I do really love me some Lone Gunmen, so instead of adding them as fully-functional characters, maybe there could be a cutscene that involves Mulder and Scully consulting with them through video chat. As I said to a friend, "maybe they can make a brief appearance in that, 'huddled together onscreen on a video call over some shitty satellite uplink with a 90s brick laptop' way."

Where Mulder and Scully would set up their office remains to be seen.

All in all, I just think a lot of fun could be had with this, because there's so much levity in the show even in its darker moments.

Please let me know if you're able to help with art or have any ideas!
    What we need!

• Mulder - portraits and sprites
    • Scully - portraits and sprites
    • Skinner - portraits and sprites
    • CSM - portraits and sprites
    • Mulder's office - filing cabinets, poster, desk?
    • Mulder's office - location?
    • Cutscene - Harvey's radio scene
    • Cutscene - Scully and Mulder show up
    • Cutscene - Lone Gunmen video link
    One minor issue is that I can't actually code, and I'm not a great artist. *cough* I do really want to see this happen, though. I started work on a Scully portrait, but I was really trying to make it conform to the current style, and I did a really awful job. I've been redoing this periodically.

So I know this is pretty disorganized and that right now it's a wall of text, but does anyone think this sounds like an interesting endeavor?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    • MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

would definitely be fun. -has a sudden urge to binge watch X-Files-

cankersaur and Gabaw like this.
      • Elrohir_of_Rivendell

Elrohir_of_Rivendell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It sounds amazing! Ugghhh, I wish I could do anything art or code related so I could help, but sadly my stick figures get mistaken for chicken scratches and I seriously can't code... That being said, I really hope something happens with this, maybe once farmhand is up, running and producing modes someone will be able to do something really cool with this [like making a kind of minor or continuous quest surrounding it --> investigate the ______ (does that diverge from stardew valley to much...), or maybe they'll be able to make moulder and scully a later game thing, like after you've established your farm and are into your second or third year, they move in to investigate the weird goings on in stardew valley (kinda like with Kent, maybe?)] anyways, good luck, this sounds like an awesome mod idea!

cankersaur and Gabaw like this.
        • cankersaur

@MoonlitBrenya glad you think so! c: And you totally should watch it, haha. Solid life choice for sure.

@Elrohir_of_Rivendell Thank you! Yeah, I don't know a whole lot about farmhand but it sounds like it's going to open some doors. I hope it doesn't diverge too much; I want to figure out a way to sort of blend it into the game.

*cough* I miiiight have replaced Gil (the guy in the rocking chair in the Adventurer's guild) with the Cigarette-Smoking Man. >.> I haven't changed the portrait unfortunately.

Edit:
          So I really could use help with the art for this!

The formatting got weird/ugly. For now I've added files to the first post as files, not images.

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

This sounds so neat! I wish I was good at the art stuff =( Hopefully someone with the skillset comes along soon!

cankersaur likes this.
            • cankersaur

Thank you! I hope so, too.

Here's mulder-in-progress (based on shane), and another try at scully-in-progress (based on abigail).

[​IMG][​IMG]
              [​IMG]

Again, if anyone is able to help with art or ideas, that would be highly appreciated!

Edit: update.

• cankersaur

@taintedwheat Maybe this would serve as a better introduction?
                paper2png.png

Attached Files:

• Elrohir_of_Rivendell

Elrohir_of_Rivendell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks amazing! Once you touch up the portraits a bit, they'll look just like Scully and Mulder! I like the newspaper too, looks good. Maybe, as a way of introducing them, you could have a nighttime event (like the random witch events etc.-- only, not random, not sure how you'd even attempt that, but...) and the next morning the newspaper could be a piece of mail you get in the mailbox, that'd be awesome. It's amazing that you've figured all this out and already put so much work into it! I really hope someone whose interested in this and knows how to code, etc. helps out and makes this mod a reality!

• cankersaur

Thank you so much!

I hope I'm able to get the portraits to look alright. I don't really draw. x.x My avatar was the first thing I'd done in ages.

Ooh, that would be fantastic! I wish I could have images come in the mail, haha. The text will too long for a letter.

We can only hope! :3

Elrohir_of_Rivendell likes this.
                    • MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

I had to come over, and find the X-Files mod you said you were working on. This is a fantastic idea!!

I don't know how much I'll be able to help. But, I definitely want to keep an eye on this, and do what I can from time to time.

In the meantime; I tried modifying Leah & Harvey's walking sprites into Mulder & Scully. It's a rough draft. But, check it out. And, use them however you'd like!

[Here's a scaled up preview & the other files are the sprite sheets.]
                      ScaledupPreviewofBoth.png

Attached Files:

• cankersaur

@MysticTempest HI! Sorry, I wasn't sure if it was cool to link it in your thread so I just alluded, haha.

THAT IS AMAZING. I spent several moments flailing before I responded, haha. Thank you SO much! :D
                        And of course, anything here can be used as you wish!

I've been doing smaller edits to things in tIDE now that it's working, but my tilesheets keep ending up misaligned even when I'm plotting on a 16x16 grid. x.x And I also don't know how to do warp tiles, no matter how much I read about them, haha. I need an "explain like I'm five" version.
                        So hopefully I'll figure that out and be able to add a spot for their office. @taintedwheat has been helping a lot, and she even shared some sources for free-to-use pixel art with me, so I've been combing through that. I found some sciencey stuff and some officey stuff, so I might edit it and see if I can get something going.

• MysticTempest

Heh, no worries! ^-^ Thanks for sending me the files; I really love what you have so far!

Yay! I'm glad you liked it!!

Oh neat! I've been meaning to check out tIDE as well. I need to see if it runs on my system. I'm on Linux so I've been running everything Stardew related via Wine.
                          That's pretty strange though; I wonder why the tilesheets are getting misaligned? Maybe a bug in the program. And, heh, I'm sure you'll understand warp tiles soon enough. You definitely seem to have most of it down already. Good luck!!

• somenamehere

somenamehere Space Hobo

I’m sorry, but is anybody still working on this? I have no idea how to program or do any art, but this was a really cool idea and I’d love to see it finished to completion.

• MysticTempest

I don't believe so. It doesn't look like Cankersaur has been on in a long while.

And, last year; while I did start working on walking sprites for Director Skinner, I never got around to finishing them. And, have been working on other things since.