1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Dash 1.0

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Another Kevin, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

1. Is Energy Dash in 1.0 still a thing?

2.Did they re-enable mid-air dashing?

3.Does Dashing cost energy?

Currently on Vacation, so i can't check out 0.8.

Thanks 4 any answurrrs

Skelozard1 likes this.
  2. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. Yes
    2. It's an unlockable evolution of the normal ground dash, so yes.
    3. No, it has a small cooldown instead.

Skelozard1 and Another Kevin like this.
  3. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

To add on to 2. the air dash is as awful as possible while being the better tech. You lose all momentum once the dash itself is done and if you aren't still holding right/left then your character will drop straight down. It is literally dash that you can do in the air, nothing more and nothing less. Not useful for exploring planet surfaces like it once was.

Also before you waste tech chips
    -While you can jump while using sprint it won't allow you to double jump which can easily cause you to fall to your death out of habit.
    -Aqua Sphere floats making it worthless for exploring the bottom of the sea and have the same speed if not slower than the boat that you can buy.
    -Speed Sphere or whatever it was called also have no momentum making it worthless as you gotta charge it up like Sonic's spin dash but in the time you had charged it up you could had walk there faster while saving the energy. Once in ball form and pass the charging phase (you can only do it while transforming) the sphere does nothing special.

Spike Sphere is great, sprint if you can deal with it is meh where dash is kinda the leftover alt. The only real choice of tech you have is which jump tech do you want. multi-jump can give you more than one chance of preventing fall damage, pulse jump is free beyond the newbie ore cost and easily get the height of multi-jump with no room for error and forgot what the other one is called, charge jump maybe? That can be useful as it is a better air dash while still acting like pulse jump when you need it. Wall jump require walls which there is simply not enough of to make it useful, more so when rope and better jump tech exist.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Pingeh and Sageheart like this.
  4. Another Kevin

Wow, that's what we all loved it for, and they brought it back but worse? What the actual...?

Pingeh likes this.
  5. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Chucklefish, I am completely serious: Could one of you please address why player mobility options keep getting made worse all the time?

My perspective, as someone outside the development process, is that your philosophy is "If something is fun, make it less fun." Now, surely that isn't actually the case, so please, explain yourselves.

6. Zerukoba

That what most people be complaining about. The best thing you can do at the moment is ride the hover bike and just deal with hoping off every time you need to loot or kill something.

The techs are extremely lacking while by the end of the game you are pretty much drowning in tech chips. I am seriously hoping they are planning to add more. A passive jump tech that simply prevent fall damage would be amazing for example and I'll give up like 80 tech chips for something like that.

I really don't get the point of Aqua Sphere though, the one use it had and it freaking floats. May as well just ride the hover bike underwater, clearly all sense of logic is out of the window.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Another Kevin like this.
  7. Another Kevin

Gotta admit that i kinda think that way as well. This game's not competitive, they even said so, so what's with all the balancing bs?

Bumperino, I also wanna know the reasons.

Pingeh likes this.
  8. Zerukoba

The devs really need to look at their own game.

By endgame when you are the most powerful everything but water still hurt you, fall damage is as deadly as ever and you lose your ability to have an automatic light source due to new limitations. Generally I like to feel like I am making progress, in a past few thread when 1.0 was still Nightly only I had stated that I am hoping Starbound will be my favorite between it and Terraria. While colony stuff is fun at the end of the day I just don't have the same progressive feeling that I get from Terraria. On Terraria you gain an automatic light source, you can breath underwater, stand in lava and prevent fall damage all at the same time. On top of that you can jump much higher, mine much faster and move extremely fast without losing anything. Terraria know how to let the player feel powerful while still being challenging. I love Starbound I really do but at the moment even with 1.0 (more so when they removed all of the normal Outpost quests) the game still feel unfinished. The end of Starbound to me feel like when the start of Hard Mode on Terraria would had begin.

I find it so weird they are against fun though as they had stated it is a sandbox game and the player should be able to do anything without doing the main story. Tell that to the poison ocean planets that are simply not worth exploring whatsoever as there is still nothing to counteract the poison for the long term. I am really hoping they are setting it up for future updates. poison immunity, fall damage prevention and lava immunity make three upgrades right there that the player could aim for. Just need a story reason why they would need them and someone to give it to them.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  9. phichikapparho

phichikapparho Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have also noticed several "balancing" attempts which really leave me confused. I mean there IS multiplayer, but it's not really that competitive, like at all.

Yet they seem to be trying to Balance it like we are playing something super competitive. I'm just wondering what they are afraid of. Some people do get kind of weird when other people get more stuff than them, and in an Mmo's it kind of makes sense I guess ( mostly greedy and jealous reasons to be honest, but there are a few legitimate claims out there for people getting way ahead in mmo's)

But this? Please, I just want to have fun, and kind of feel like a god/I can do anything when I've gotten to the "end" of the game. It's a sandbox game chucklefish. I doubt I'm even going to play a char on survival before I "beat" the game on another char.

10. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Same here. I honestly have no idea what Chucklefish is thinking or what kind of logic they're using, because out of all the available techs only Wall-Jump, Spike Sphere are must-haves, while Air Dash is just meh now but still the best of the three dashes in my opinion. The only thing they've gotten completely right mobility-wise is the Grappling Hook.

I mean, we used to have stuff like Butterfly Boost for near-omnidirectional movement, Air Dash used to be a lot more useful, Targeted Blink, and so on and so forth. Yeah, we could only have one at a time, but back then we only really needed just one.

Pingeh likes this.
  11. Another Kevin

And we had a real number of choices cuz none of the techs were as awful as the ones we got now.

12. Lazer

Does "ground dash" or whatever it's called still make you just sort of skid a few tiles?

13. Zerukoba

Yea, it is really only useful to dodge short range attacks.

14. Another Kevin

Can you still jump mid-dash for a crazy leap?

15. Osofox

Osofox Void-Bound Voyager

I move around fine with my walljump+grappling hook

16. Lazer

Are you saying it's good for energy dash to be repeatedly nerfed for no clear reason, or what are you trying to say here?

I don't think anyone is complaining about being actually unable to move around.

17. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

well, aren't there a lot more obstacle-like areas in the game that certain mobility techs would outright destroy were they used? I mean, think about it: air dash + a nicely timed grappling hook could be an entire jumping puzzle avoided.
    and anyway, I was watching that video from CF a couple days ago and they were using (I cannot spell today) the dash just fine. I don't know which dash it was, pretty sure it was the air dash one though.
    nonetheless, they're the developers. they know how they want the game to work. if they nerf something, they probably have more than enough reasons for doing it. it's not all "PSH THIS SEEMS TOO GOOD, NERFARINO".

18. Lazer

Seems like the grappling hook alone would trivialize platforming challenges more than energy dash. Furthermore, challenges can be changed to meet the power of the player. There are games with far more intense mobility than Starbound that still provide challenge- and I don't think Starbound is in any danger of becoming a hyper-twitch precision platformer that turns away casual players.

Anyway, I think I specifically addressed what you're saying in that last sentence already:
    We'd just like to have some kind of insight on how these changes benefit the game.

If things that people enjoy doing in game are being removed or diminished, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to have questions or voice their displeasure.

19. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

I'm quite sure that post-1.0, they're change things like this. right now they're getting set up and squashing bugs so they can finally release the game after years and years of active development.

have patience, and be cool when criticizing. it's a good thing.

20. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Current techs are mostly lame, unfortunately.
    The Dashes (and blink and sprint. Because reasons):
    Energy Dash: No momentum, stuck on the ground, terrible. Obviously meant to be the worst because it's first.
    Air Dash: You can now dash in the air. Despite the momentum issue, it's useful for quick horizontal movements in air, I guess.
    Blink Dash: Being able to blink passed enemies and traps is neat, but due to the fixed range, it might not always get you passed what you want to get passed. I'm just sad it takes away the option to use the other dashes.
    Sprint: This would be fantastic if you could still use jump techs while jumping with it active. In fact, it would fix most of the problems with current mobility, while simultaneously making stuff like Multi Jump useful.

The Jumps (which I suppose have their uses):
    Pulse Jump: THE GREATEST. (Even throughout all these changes to the system... I'm not including old super-techs like Bubble Boost.)
    Multi Jump: Used to be good. Now it has the same height as the Pulse Jump, but you have to hit the button three more times precisely if you want to... So it's useless. I guess it has slightly better mobility horizontally?
    Rocket Jump: Can't use it in the air, making usefulness rather less than ideal. Good for scaling mountains, but considering you give up your double jump (despite having different button inputs, sadly...)
    Wall Jump: If the Wiki is correct, this one has been changed and now allows you to jump in midair like Pulse Jump. So I suppose it's a straight upgrade? I'm almost sure it used to only work on walls.

The Morphball Ripoffs (this entire tech tree needs to die and be replaced with things that are actually useful. Keep Distortion I guess just for small gaps, but give us something else too):
    Distortion Sphere: Morphball ripoff but without the fun. Moving on...
    Aqua Sphere: Literally a waste of tech chips. Its one function is exactly the same as a vehicle you can get. Works as a floatation device too, but nobody needs that.
    Spike Sphere: Spider Ball ripoff. Gets stuck in 1x1 gaps. Most places it's useful, you could just jump or grapple up.
    Sonic Sphere: Boost Ball ripoff. Or maybe spindash ripoff. Fast and hard to control, but you need to charge first. Pointless because we have this wonderful thing called "running" which is better.

If they don't steadily add more (and better) techs I'll be very disappointed... Personally, I'm hoping for more variety more than anything. Especially in the Head slot.

Perhaps even some rare techs you can find while exploring (like the old days!) that you bring to the tech guy and he unlocks for you.
    Biome specific techs? Heck yes. Rare dungeon techs? Heck yes. Secret techs? Heck yes.