Good idea to build fences around farm buildings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Colorfulshitbox, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Colorfulshitbox

Colorfulshitbox Poptop Tamer

I do currently have a fence around my two farm buildings so I can let my animals out, but is it necessary? Could I just destroy the fence and let them out so they can roam the whole farm, since they go in by themselves at night anyways? Any suggestions are much appreciated! :casper:

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Others have reported losing animals who never returned to their coops or barns at night. It's generally wise to keep them fenced into a single area. Even if they're not at much risk (reports of disappearing livestock are rare), if they get caught out overnight because of being lost, they'll lose 'hearts' and will be unhappy.

Colorfulshitbox likes this.
      • Snurtsnurgle

Snurtsnurgle Star Wrangler

I let them roam around farm. I just double check to make sure the animals are away before going to bed, I have had a goat get stuck behind a fruit tree. Wolfs can get your animals if you leave them out at night I heard, people say the sound when it happens is horrifying. If you have pigs it will be easier to collect truffles if you have a fence.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Wait there are wolves in this game? o_O
          Or is that just a rumor?

• Colorfulshitbox

I've never heard of wolves in game. But hey maybe there are :I
            --- Post updated ---
            Well, would it be safe just to fence in the entrances/exits to my farm? Or would that not make a difference?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

It's a rumour, but a widely circulated one. I've never had it happen to me, but, I only keep a few ducks and a rabbit myself. I can't say for sure if there is a risk of predators. But it /is/ a fact that an animal who gets lost or can't find their way back at night becomes unhappy, and that's reason enough to keep them fenced.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Currently doing some googling on it. Apparently it's a random event at night like the witch or fairy that can happen if you leave your barn and/or coop open during the night?
                Not sure if it's actually true, though.

I personally fence my critters in and close the gates by night. It's easier and more convenient.

Buuuut now I want to let 'em free roam and keep the gates open at all time, just to see if that wolf event is a real thing xD

Jaed likes this.
                • Colorfulshitbox

Lmao well if you do that, tell me if wolves are legit. :poke:

• CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

As far as I know, wolves don't exist in the game (but i could be wrong, and it would people losing their animals) You don't need to have a fence around your barns and whatnot (I don't and i havent lost anything) but it'd be good to check them every night to make sure you havent lost any.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I was actually just wondering about the wolf thing this morning. I keep all mine fenced and always close the gates at night so nothing has ever happened in my game, but I've also never seen anyone say they've had animals eaten by wolves so I wondered if it was something that was in the early release of the game and later taken out. I'd be interested to know if this still happens as well.

Minakie, MrToni300 and CjBeats like this.
                      • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I legit want to let my animals free roam now. For science. Just started on a new save and it'll be a more chill playthrough of the game, so I'll have the time to run around and pet everybody anyway, hmm...

• CjBeats

From someone who's never fenced them up before, I think you should be fine, just make sure they go to to far

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Do you close the gates at night?

• CjBeats

As in gate do you mean the little hatch in their building?

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, the gate, hatch, door whatever you wanna call it :p

• CjBeats

Gotcha lol. No i don't

• LuthienNightwolf

Well, there's this, though it was posted back in April. Skip to 4:22 to see the actual wolf stuff.

MrToni300 and Jaed like this.
                                    • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Hmm, it's supposedly a rare event though, if it's a real thing. The fairy and witch doesn't visit often either, after all.
                                      --- Post updated ---
                                      Yeah, I've seen that video too. I'm too curious not too let my animals free roam at this point xD

• Snurtsnurgle

Snurtsnurgle Star Wrangler

Huh, doesn't seem documented on the wikis (however the wikis are not 100% accurate). I did see a bunch of threads on reddit and steam mentioning this though. However if this is a joke, they did a pretty convincing job. If there aren't any wolfs in the game, It's easier to finding them to pet them if they are in one spot. I hope I wasn't taken on a rouse cruise with this. :facepalm: I suppose it is kinda funny though if this is.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
                                        • LuthienNightwolf

Personally I'd rather not risk it...I can't bring myself to bring harm to any of my critters in the game, even if they are just pixels. >u< So they stay fenced in, gates opened in the morning *after* petting, and closed in the evening after they go inside. I've noticed if there are stragglers and you close the gate, they just walk right through it anyway, so I'm thinking that's something that may have changed since the video.

MrToni300 and Colorfulshitbox like this.