1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Dirt Colour Options?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mecharian, Jul 22, 2016.

?

Which system do you prefer?

1. One unified dirt colour. (Current System)

2. Multiple dirt colours. (Old System)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Dirt in different colors uses RGB code unless im mistaken. (that is to say, the one you find naturally on planets and could have in your inventory pre 1.0). So no, not all.

2. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd prefer the old system over the new one. While I can understand that people were annoyed by many different 2 dozen stacks of different dirt colors would that be way easier to fix with a modded hand crafting recipe to unify the dirt into one type than it would be to NOW do the opposite and disable the unification done by the game itself.
    Not even sure if it's out-moddable.

And as someone with a certain amount of OCD can I say that I'm WAY more annoyed by not being able to fill gaps in the terrain without making them stand out like a christmas tree in the desert than I've been bothered by the multi stacks of color variations.
    It's nice that we can color dirt with the paint tool now, too bad that the color selection and range of the paint tool is still far from impressive.

I personally would be fine if the dirt would just match it's surrounding color but that's just because I want to have it blend it, while others as already mentioned prefer to use it for differentiating so yeah, wouldn't help them.
    Unless it would blend in by default after being placed and offer to be manually colored in a bigger selection than currently offered, that'd probably make all parties happy.

3. Venom

Venom Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm personally highly annoyed by this to the point of logging into my account after years just to point this out. I probably won't even play if this stays because I think it's a huge part of the game. Terra forming and being able to build with dirt are huge aspects.
    Everything dirt related looks incredibly odd and I am extremely afraid on some planets about accidentally removing some dirt... I really want the old system to come back or have another option because this blatantly said... sucks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Mecharian and Pingeh like this.
  4. Kitantho

Kitantho Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Really a very disappointing change. The way it works now really takes a lot away from possibilities while building. I can see the reasons for getting rid of the old system, but I wish it would at least match the planet you are on.

Mecharian and Venom like this.
  5. AmatsuDarkfyre

AmatsuDarkfyre Void-Bound Voyager

I too prefered the old system...I think as discussed a means to switch dirt to the different colored variants or extending the functions of the paint tool would be ideal, however. The people that want a less cluttered inventory and the people that want options win in those cases.

6. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

Why not just add an option to the Paint tool to match with surrounding area? That way you can place any dirt and have the option for it to be either different color or same as the rest, instead of lugging 5 stacks of 10, 23, 88, 496, 04, dirt around...

7. Venom

I really hope this gets some attention, I really have trouble not looking/thinking about this while playing but I am very put off by this weird oversight. Dirt is EVERYWHERE! Even making farms feel freaking odd now. Blegh ):

8. LuckyRare

I do however love the green paint tool for dirt under farms, and surround it with white platforms or something, so fancyX3

9. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

As i said, modders took of the problem, atleast on steamworkshop, dont know yet if the mod is here too:
    Terramart Terrain
    It is not my mod, i do not advertise it. I just mean to inform. To me that is a "okayish" solution.

10. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

The issue with the "but there are mods for it response" doesn't work if it's something that annoys almost everyone then you as a developer made a very poor design choice and it shouldn't be the modders job to cover those bad choices only to alter things you might prefer as a person or give the game more content. It's simply impossible now to build on a planet with green dirt or pink sand since the moment you want to shape the land for a farm or house it is so out of place

Mecharian likes this.
  11. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

I dont see how it doesnt work if you now can get the coloured blocks.
    Id prefer a solution of the developers too, but i dont think a difference will be done.
    So i am glad about mods which ease the experience of Starbound :)

12. Shooting Star

I'm just saying it shouldn't be the go to response whenever the devs mess up in one or another way and say"mods will fix it"

13. LuckyRare

There's usually mods for just about everything and modders unlike developers can respond to a need faster since they don't have pre-determined goals that must be reached before addressing an issue. Also modders don't have to worry about appealing to the majority, just the ones who needs a particular change. Not to mention the fact that if a mod doesn't work, people just go "Oh, well, I'll just uninstall it for now and wait until it's fixed" while if the game itself breaks, developers would get a lot more negativity for it, since unlike modders, they are PAID to work on the game (And you can't uninstall parts of the game you don't like...) .

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I'm 98% certain that this will not be addressed for quite some time if at all, but there is at least a workaround. To copy from reddit and my Radiant Worlds mod page:

Code:
    /admin
    /spawnitem dirtmaterial xxx '{ "materialHueShift" : yyy }
    /admin
    dirtmaterial can be swapped with any tile name.
    xxx is a stand-in for any number between 1 and 1000.
    yyy is a stand-in for any of the following numbers:

Code:
    -180, -175, -170, -165, -160, -155, -150, -145, -140,  -135, -130, -125, -120, -115, -110, -105, -100, -95, -90, -85, -80, -75, -70, -65, -60, -55, -50, -45, -40, -35, -30, -25, -20, -15, -10, -5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 150, 155, 160, 165, 170, 175, 180

Pingeh likes this.
  15. Shooting Star

The biggest issue I have with mods it's just that they're not very useable in multiplayer although I don't know how mods work if you join a friends game with the same mods should work right?

16. LuckyRare

Yep. Everyone installs the mods and should be good to go, although I can only speak from "Join via Steam" crowd, since that's what I've been using for my friends, I'm not too sure how dedicated servers work in that regard.

I am glad Starbound DOES have "Join via Steam" option, cause that makes playing with a small group of friends so much easier, no Hamachi/Evolve or w.e else hassle, no ports or IP to worry about, so good.

17. Shooting Star

Well I'm also from the group I just didn't know how well mods carried over I know like music sheets are just client sided same with hud which doesn't interfere

18. LuckyRare

So far I've been running a whole bunch of mods and no issues with MP side, only if the mods themselves have some bugs.

19. Venom

I still think this should gain more attention.

Pingeh likes this.
  20. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

need something like hold a key + scroll mouse for switch color of dirt tack , problem solved x)

(btw i've vote for Multiple stack" option but my idea merge both option)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016