1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Dirt Colour Options?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mecharian, Jul 22, 2016.

?

Which system do you prefer?

1. One unified dirt colour. (Current System)

2. Multiple dirt colours. (Old System)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TyRobot

TyRobot Space Spelunker

The fact of the matter is that this DOES deserve more attention. Changing all dirt to one color doesn't accomplish anything except for organization in your inventory - which mind you is arguable at best. You are still collecting the same AMOUNT of dirt, and the only difference is that it is all lumped together. The only true thing this accomplishes is limiting players creativity and immersion. The contrasting dirt colors clash in an ugly manner...plain and simple. A game of this magnitude and concept should never limit players by removing something like multiple dirt colors.

There have been a few decent suggestions that would fix this:

1. Allow the Paint Tool to select natural colors in the worlds so that the dirt can be matched to that of the naturally occurring soil of the current planet.

2. Give us back separate stacking of various colored soils.

Neither of those two things are asking too much. This topic deserves to be stickied and acknowledged, IMO (and I'm sure many others' opinion, too). Please allow us to build the worlds of our dreams by removing the conversion of naturally occurring soils to a single-colored stack in our inventories.

Thank you.

2. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

Interesting comprimise:

Make the first dirt (or stone/whatever generic blocks that can have multiple colors) you pick up set the color for that stack. Have a non-full stack of purple dirt? All dirt you pick up adds to that stack till it's full or you no longer have any dirt in your inventory. Want to change your dirt color? Trash or box your stack, pick up the color you want, then collect away. Everyone is happy.

3. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

Poll is rather limited, it doesn't even give the option for a third solution only that it needs to be reverted BACK ;/
    But yeah, there's a mod Terramart Terrain

4. Roman Richter

Roman Richter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Pingeh likes this.
  5. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

+1 for the old colour variants.
    Terraforimg and Building is really ugly now.
    The Color Changing tools is no substitute for this, as the colours are not that great.

At least give us some kind of drop down menu for all dirt, so we can change the colour accordingly to the planet colours.

Sure, having x different stacks of coloured dirt is bad, but ditching all those colours is even worse!

Pingeh likes this.
  6. Roman Richter

I believe they don't give a damn about this thread...
    --- Post updated ---
    Anyone know command to see tile color?

7. Venom

Venom Pangalactic Porcupine

Still going to reply here once in a while until it catches a developers attention. Still incredibly annoyed by it. :)

Fleder likes this.
  8. Lefl

Lefl Phantasmal Quasar

Fleder, Crixalis and Pingeh like this.
  9. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

10. Roman Richter

Painfull way, forcing to dig HUE values. Some people (like me for example) to want to spend HOURS to dig them...

Also there is mod already.

Also about poll result that win:
    and its description
    that means current system is completly different from poll result.
    And this worth mentioning:
    That means, despite poll result and engine capable to do things that way, they ignored poll, give us most painfull method, and false advertised it.

Fleder and Mecharian like this.
  11. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

Hm, I'd overlooked that, I apologize. But I do agree I'm somewhat angered that they wouldn't pay attention to what the community had actually voted for.

As an aside, I also apologize to everyone upset by the lack of voting options. When I made this thread I didn't expect such a vast response from the community regarding this subject and I didn't think to broaden my options. That being said, Chucklefish should be listening to us, And I hope they are, We've already proposed multiple different ideas on how best to approach a solution.

12. Roman Richter

We are also "Dirt lovers" according to starbound steam forum moderator, cheers!

And now we are supposed to beg them on their next AMA to be heard!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  13. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the urge to terraform cleanly is strong............

Pingeh and Mecharian like this.
  14. Roman Richter

Welcome to dirt lovers sect Brother!

15. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

Dirt Lovers against another unnecessary AMA/Poll. We already Voted and we stand to our decision, unlike the brits :)
    BRING BACK NATURALLY COLOURED DIRT!
    BRING BACK OUR PRIDE, COLOURS AND CREATIVITY!

Pingeh likes this.
  16. Dander.1981

Dander.1981 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hated the former system that filled my inventory and boxes with non filled stacks of different colored dirt. Which ended with me converting it all to a unified compressed dirt stacks.

However! Since it takes investment to unlock the paint tool now and not everyone want to explore that long before they start terraforming, a compromise could be needed.
    Here is my suggestion: Keep the new system, but add 1 "color" to the palette called "Default". This color should just automatically match the biome specs and always be applied on all freshly placed blocks.

Addendum: Or simply upon block placement, apply color and texture that matches the biome specs. (This includes the stone block and other such biome unique materials)

After all, sometimes you are just looking to make makeshift platforming. And the OCD kicks in when the differently colored blocks sticks out like a sore thumb. >.<

17. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

The Paint tool has the option of "Default/Unpainted" color, it's after White.

18. Roman Richter

Default/Unpaint don't make dirt same color as near biome.
    Also dunno why that mode can recolor biome dirt to default brown if previously both of them was painted in other color.

Solzucht likes this.
  19. IronSquid501

IronSquid501 Void-Bound Voyager

I've played this game a lot more as an explorer than as a builder. As annoying as it can be to have a dozen stacks of 30 units of dirt, however, getting rid of them has been a fairly simple and easy matter, and now that I'm looking to build a lot more, the lack of options (And the lack of perfection/cohesion) is really bugging me.

I think that the solution for this isn't a buff to the paint tool, but rather, the ability to "Mass-trash" items. That is to say, being able to open a trash tab not unlike the selling tab in stores, shift-clicking a whole bunch of items into it, and deleting them all at once. This'd solve a LOT of cluttering problems in the inventory, and we could keep coloured dirt while also getting a new, helpful feature.

I honestly think that massive diversity is half of what makes Starbound what it is, and removing diversity in the name of a *little* less clutter isn't such a great thing in the end.

20. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

colored, this is a sandbox game.

some were complaining about the laods of blocks, but seriously you just threw them away if not needed.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Solzucht and Mackinz like this.