1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

A word of warning: Renting servers from Multiplay.

Discussion in 'Server Hosts' started by CeeDub, Jul 16, 2016.

1. CeeDub

CeeDub Void-Bound Voyager

Recently, Multiplay is offering discounted Starbound servers for $5 instead of their usual $17, for 12 players. I just started playing again this week and chose to use them because they offered instant setup and delivered on it along with good performance in the past, but for the last 3 days its been a complete and utter nightmare. The 'automatic setup' they promised created a copy of the Starbound server in clanforge that literally would not start up -- hitting 'Start Server' threw the entire installation into an endless loop of segfault failures. I had to contact support, and a rep had to completely wipe out the default profile and replace it with a fixed one.

The problems didn't end there, though.. Since then, about 3-6 times a day, I've had to get in contact with their support reps about my server automatically restarting anytime I had 2 or more players on it, even though I was paying for 12 slots. Starbound's server software is using 5+GB of memory for 2 people for some reason, and its causing the multiplay.co.uk servers to force-reboot anytime I have 2-4 people online within a period of 1-2 hours. Their support techs don't seem to have any idea what is going on or any familiarity with Starbound, and have now literally tried even moving my Starbound sever install to a different set of physical hardware, along with about a half dozen config changes now, and its still persisting.

Here's screenshotted proof of just how many messages have been sent back and forth with support:

[​IMG]

Multiplay is basically running a scam at this point. They are selling servers they are unprepared to actually deliver on in any meaningful way whatsoever.. I have spent more time now talking to tech support and promising my friends it will work soon, than I have actually playing the game.They've said no less than a half dozen times now that they've 'increased the CPU and memory limits of your server' to me in emails, and none the less, the moment 3 or 4 people connect to my 12 slot server, within 30 minutes the server is going so slow that mobs and items move at 1 frame per second and then it crashes. Resources are being sold to server hosts that simply aren't provided and don't exist, and I don't want anyone else to have to fall into this nightmare and incur charges that cannot be disputed on paypal.

Genevra, Lava Cake and Usiemon like this.
  2. LordBob5

LordBob5 Master Chief

I'm in the exact same boat as you my friend.... but I'm not sure how multiplay can be blamed when there's threads everywhere involving different hosting companies and even dedicated servers hosting starbound 1.0 and it's continously restarting when it feels like it due to a memory leak.

Multiplay told me adding more ram won't solve anything and it's purely down to chuckle fish to resolve these issues swiftly.

If someone here has a small server, around 5 to 12 players, I'd love to hear if you're not suffering from these random restarts.

And yes .. it does it a helluva lot more when people do missions together. Crashed several times doing the mining facility mission with just 3 people ..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3. coltonrbcom

coltonrbcom Space Hobo

Owner of the coltonrb.com server here; having the same issues. I have to restart the server very frequently. I typically have 8-15 people on a server that I own, with decent hardware (i3-6100U, 16GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, reliable 100Mb connection). If a Chucklefish dev is reading this, I'm more than happy to give you guys any diagnostic info I can. Just let me know.

LordBob5 likes this.
  4. Blue Hair

Blue Hair Phantasmal Quasar

This same issue has been happening with CreeperHost for a couple of months at least so it's not specifically Multiplay's fault. This is a pre-existing issue with Starbound, a memory leak, that has not been addressed yet. It's also a known issue so I'm not sure what Chucklefish's thinking was releasing the game without correcting it. Currently running the server on Creeper Host's Skeleton server package with roughly 4-6 players at a time. Crashes happen within a few hours when the player count's on the low end, within 30 minutes when player count's on the high end.

I can't imagine any hosts are going to be able to properly sell servers if this continues to go unfixed.

LordBob5 likes this.
  5. B0und

B0und Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having this issue too. Multilplay 12 slot server is crashing every couple of hours (less if many people on). An in game message pops up saying server will restart and thats it.

6. Blue Hair

A patch just got released claiming to fix a memory leak issue, so this might be resolved now. Keyword: might. I'm going to have my players stress test our server to see if it's actually changed anything or not.

7. LordBob5

LordBob5 Master Chief

1.01 is no different in the memory leak department. Still restarting when server is busy or people doing missions together...

Blue Hair likes this.
  8. Blue Hair

The current version is 1.02 not 1.01, but I can confirm that the crashing still happens and nothing has changed.

9. B0und

B0und Void-Bound Voyager

Will report back when I've got a few players in the server with the 1.02 patch. See what happens.

Sucks that it isn't working though Blue Hair. Nice to find that somebody is in the same boat as me. I've had a lot of annoyed players complaining at me. Glad to know it isn't my fault for not sorting out some setting or other.

10. LordBob5

LordBob5 Master Chief

On 1.02 too? as this is specifically addressing memory leaks.
    http://playstarbound.com/1-0-2-memory-leak-fix/

11. B0und

B0und Void-Bound Voyager

Just had a server restart after running with 5 or 6 players for a few hours. Looks like the problem is still there sadly.

LordBob5 likes this.
  12. LordBob5

LordBob5 Master Chief

I can confirm the same. Usually happens more once it reaches more than 6gb of ram.

13. nathanpierce

nathanpierce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

any update on this? - im thinking about renting a server for friends