1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Not a Universe a Galaxy

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by primeval15429, Jul 28, 2016.

1. primeval15429

primeval15429 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

on starbound they always get galaxy and universe mixed up. starbound in fact is not an entire universe because the universe isn't just one sheet of stars, there are clusters of galaxies and space in-between them where there are little to no stars. I think that starbound just takes place in the milky way galaxy and the creators should get their terms right.

any thoughts?

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

A galaxy is still within a universe. So it matters little.

To use other words, Chucklefish is basicly saying "we are on this car" when the game takes place on a tire alone, but that dosen't make the claim that they are on the car invalidated.

Same with universes and galaxy, sure the game might just take place within one galaxy inside a universe, but that dosen't change the fact that they are in a universe and its a different universe then everyone else is in.

3. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Its like say Solar system when we know the sun is a star , so infact it's stellar system (but its the same).

4. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

My thought is you are needlessly nitpicking

5. IronSquid501

IronSquid501 Void-Bound Voyager

I hear them mixed up a lot. People even use Galaxy to refer to the Solar System sometimes. But who are we to judge? They're not scientists, they don't HAVE to know.

6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

does thta matter in terms of SB? we do not even know if the starbound universe is only oen galaxy, it's just a HUGE map with all stuff within.

if you are nitpicking about this, then we better not start about plants in this game where trees grow faster than ice, and rice has well, rice and seeds and where kiwi grow more like ananas.
    And where do the apples come from?

7. primeval15429

of coarse it matters and the plants might be different species than the ones on earth maybe all life in the galaxy is related and was spread from planet to planet by an unknown alien race we don't know about but over time these life forms evolved differently, but a universe does not spread out evenly like that gravity pulls stars together and explansion pulls galactic groups apart and if expansion didn't exist in the sb universe the big bang would never have happened and if gravity didn't exist matter would have never formed and on ice planets where the trees grow faster than ice maybe that is because most of the water in the air is already frozen and it takes alot of time for enough to accumulate to make the ice bigger

8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes and when they are different species you woul totally give them the same name as an existing plant. The rets you tlak is magical explanation of scientific nonsense, Or do the trees hav some ailities to melt ice to grow on frozen planets?

You amke up all these "explanations" but have trouble with galaxy and universe. So what if in stabround the galaxy equals the Universe?

9. primeval15429

they are the same sort of plant just a different species like a crabapple is different from golden delicious but they are still apples and trees that evolved on those planets would have to have some way of melting ice we dont know how life works on other planets but we do know how stars are ordered
    --- Post updated ---
    and what do you mean "the galaxy = the universe" are you saying that changed the definition in the future or something?

10. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

universe > galaxy > stellar system

11. primeval15429

more like universe > supercluster > cluster > local group > galaxy > star system

Savage Valkyrie likes this.
  12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

we have no indicator of SB being in our unverse. therefore universe could be the galaxy. I am also quite sthat the way how a kiwi grows ingame would surely not by biological definition be a kiwi anymore as the entire plant is different.

13. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as I care so far as the op concerns me, the entire sb universe consists of exactly one large galaxy. Is it irregular? Elliptical? It doesn't look spirally. I'm not entirely learned in spacey stuff, but I read one that galaxies are supposed to be held together by a massive black hole in the middle of it, and the sb galaxy didn't have black holes anywhere. It should be easy to check for one, just go to 0,0.

But anyway, clearly sb doesn't even try to work by any scientific model of space past planets, moons, and asteroids orbiting stars.

14. primeval15429

Only spiral galaxies have a supermassive blackhole in the center
    --- Post updated ---
    its possible that starbound is set so far into the future that all the galaxies in our local group have merged together and all the other groups have moved so far away that we cant see them due to the fact that the light waves would be stretched to far and in a way that would mean that this galaxy is the universe because when scientists say the universe they usually mean the part that we can see the observable universe

15. Wazamaga

Wazamaga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know, I can see where OP is coming from from a scientific standpoint, but I have to point out that, although Starbound is set in space, the amount of scientifically correct bodies and mechanics in the game is actually very low. For as long as I've played the game, it seems that CF hasn't really cared much for making their game make much sense from a scientific point of view, even if you do get rid of all the fictional things, such as alien races and life, teleporters, FTL, etc.

I mean, hell, if we are going to nitpick scientific fact there, then why do blue stars, the so called "Frozen" ones, which realistically would not only be the largest, but also the brightest and hottest stars in the universe, create the coldest planets in the game? Same goes with fiery stars but the other way around. We can also say the SB has no respect for orbital mechanics, proper rotational physics showing the stars and planets rising and setting at night, even the random "constellations" you see in the map view wouldn't make sense, since no body on any planet would ever see them. In fact the only thing that I can see that CF has changed to make it more line with reality is that they made "Moons" actually moons, orbiting planets instead of being by themselves.

In short, SB doesn't have to be perfectly cemented in reality. It's more of a theme than it is a mechanic in this game. It doesn't have to make sense, only contribute to the overall setting and enjoyment of those playing it. If I wanted to play a more scientifically accurate game, I would play KSP.

Tyonisius likes this.