Tier 7-10 endgame planets!

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Jareix Cryvix, Aug 5, 2016.

?

Should there be a post-ruin end game

1. Yes

92.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't care, more content is good always.

8.0%
  1. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

This was an idea that popped in after seeing That Thunder Cookie's recent video on acquiring tier 10 items, and thought to myself: Hey wait a minute, I remember seeing tiers 7-10 in the config as well! Why don't they have those as super tough endgame planets that can only be accessed after killing The Ruin (because of arbitrary reasons like tentacles and stuff) for players that want a real challenge? Such planets could have new biomes, such as new living planets made entirely out of "living" biome types (flesh, bone, tentacle, bioluminescent, etc.) synthetic planets formed totally out of mechanical biomes. Post apocalyptic city planets that are pretty much as survivable as the world of Mad Max without a car or water. and sprawling cities that offer great quests and rewards, but many dangerous criminals everywhere. Dungeons could spawn on those planets, generating awesome end tier loot (because, thanks to the active item system, any usable items can be found with high levels) and super deadly end game mobs.
    Idk, I'm just chucking ideas out and inviting people to do the same.

haynesy566 likes this.
  2. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

Yeah lets go "munchkin" and let the player get to 99% defense and make all the earlier planets useless(just kidding). New content would be good but, power progression for weapons and armor being more and more powerful, I think it'd get old as if the developers are just taking an easy way out of making people play longer. A "skinner box"; is it really the new worlds your exploring, the decorations, the chance to build somewhere challenging and dangerous? Or just the better weapons with higher numbers? I think it's a big balancing concern. I'm all for new planets which are a bit or even a good deal harder then tier 6 planets, but if the devs just keep throwing higher tier armors into the game when does it stop? I remember terraria and how overpowered every new tier of armor became.

Progress is not just power level, but where the player is in the game and what he's doing.

Edit: I know, I'm already seeing some people very obviously just want an "end game" of bigger and badder items like it's an mmorpg but, are those players really worth satisfying at the expense of the rest of the game and an interesting experience? Bits of adrenalin rush of the player is fine to if some difficult moments are tense or a story is deep and moving, absolutely. But, ever increasing power levels gets old quickly.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  3. Jareix Cryvix

No, what I'm saying is the planets go up to tier 10, but the armor doesn't (that'd be too much sprinting anyway) however, it would be possible to acquire epic weapons, and new colonists and crew members scaled to the planets. Unfortunately, that lack in armor would deter all but the most determined players. However, i think it'd be worth the risk just to see what there is on such planets. Id climb the difficulty mountain just to see what's past the next crest.

LaughingAlex likes this.
  4. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

Me to, I am glad to see someone more in line with me in how I feel about tiers and planets. We need things where the incentive really is the challenge and the fun of that challenge rather then just ever increasing power levels. Although when it comes to weapons, I'd think more variety would be nice in things like secondary functions for two handed weapons or more single-hand weapons of varying types, as long as they are not OP to the existing stuff. Strategic stuff in a way designed for the newer situations the deadlier planets could throw at ya. I kind of had in mind of some planets in my own thread, though I am starting to feel it was hijacked by players who are only driven by rewards rather then a challenging experience.

Edit: I think the best games do offer variety and I think, likewise, we need to think about how the challenge/difficulty increases for each tier. The planets I came up with introduced enemies which are a significant jump compared to the average pirates/cultists being armed with rockets, duel machine pistols ect. I did that with a mindset the player has to think before and during an engagement and whatnot.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

I think it would be at this point where the random generation can become the player's biggest threat, as they'd have to really plan for everything, since they can predict nothing... That's what I want to see. Difficulty, not just in stats, but also in how generation spirals into a colorful explosion of chaos. Lava on ice planets, deserts in jungles, midnight in the bowels of a flesh planet. The tier 10 planets should be chaotic and huge, with no limits on what can spawn...
    Or possibly, a tier 10 planet. One found at X0 Y0, with an infinite size. Something like that.

LaughingAlex likes this.
  6. Giraffasaur

Giraffasaur Big Damn Hero

To me, it seems the story of Starbound is just to get the player prepared for the meat of the game: the end-game.

Sandboxes for me don't begin until I have access to everything. After the Ruin, it would be nice to see the content types expand to diversity the exploration and creation aspects of the game.

Yreid, LaughingAlex and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  7. Hardlight

Hardlight Phantasmal Quasar

Love the idea, the game feels too easy. Just an idea, having a cap on the tier of gear players would get would make higher tiered planets a real challenge. Natural cap could be tier 7 equipment, with a very rare 8 tier achievable in 9+ planets.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  8. Jareix Cryvix

Well, what I'm saying is that armor wouldn't scale up beyond tier 6, while acquirable weapons and crew members would. That way, you'll still have the survivability of a rat in a starving hobo's mouth, but at least your gun is more effective than a pea shooter against an amalgamation of everything that makes you want to crawl under your bed and soil yourself with tears and urine.

STCW262 likes this.
  9. Hardlight

Hardlight Phantasmal Quasar

Not to say that upgrading wouldn't be possible, resources on tier 7 and 8 planets would provide a +1 to strictly weapons. A rare “Gold” tier possibly being the reward for completing absolute endgame content, an additional +1. I also don't like the lack of effective armor drops, possibly scavengable “gold tier” pieces that take armor to a tier 7.

I feel that this would strike a good balance of hindering power creep, incentivise playing the harder content, while allowing the player to get in over their head. It should be terrifying, these planets should have monstrous enemies, dragons, abominations, what have you, that would strain your equipment.

[EDIT]

Also, what would you think of higher tier planets (or locations) being accessible any time, like wandering into side areas underleveled in other rpgs.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Yreid and Jappards like this.
  10. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I think there should be some kind of SAIL warning message for those who have not defeated the Ruin yet, that consistently warns you each time you select a T7+ planet/star in navigation or try to beam down. Perhaps recommending the Cooling EPP and Solarium Gear(I think that's what comes after Ferozium/Violium/Aegisalt) if you insist.

11. Jareix Cryvix

As I said, that's pretty much the idea. Weapons can scale, but not armor. Meaning you can kill your enemies effectively, but you still have to be very cautious. However, it's not just the plentiful resources you find. Keep in mind the creatures you can find and train, the traders with high equipment being sold, the tenants that can provide huge rent, and new unique dungeons.
    I think they should be accessible at any time, without killing ruin, but you require some sort of EPP to access them. However, I think that the ruin should not be the only living planet. Killing him simply unlocks the tech that allows you to traverse such planets of diverse kinds.
    Of course there'd be a warning, but not if you haven't defeated the Ruin yet. Rather, only if you don't have the recommended EPP. Otherwise, it just let's you know what danger level the planet you are beaming down to is.
    (The highest being Unreal.)

12. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I guess that would be better, as it's less spoilertastic than my idea. I would like to know the names of danger levels for Tiers 7-9, as "Extreme"(and now Unreal) is the highest that i know of.

13. Jareix Cryvix

I would have to take another look at the game's files, but I know tier 6 is inconceivable.

14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

planets go up to tier 6, save for a glitch on moons. I hope hier tier planets are in the works for future content updates, if it gets locked behind clearing the ruin then there practically no reason not to ramp up the planet variability to include all biomes. make it all messy.

15. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

the only problem would be the inclusion of trivial(ly easy) biomes such as lush, garden and forest, which would yield a safe haven(boring trivial difficulty) for those seeking a challenge at end-game tier, unless that too would also be upscaled somehow by the planet's tier number alone.

16. Jareix Cryvix

They already are upscaled by planet difficulty. I've encountered poptops with 500 or so health... Not pretty.

17. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

do they also do like 30-75+ damage to your violium/solarium armour? if so then they truly are upscaled. if not then health upscaling isn't enough.

18. Jareix Cryvix

About 20 or so.

19. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

All I know is I could really go for some extra planets/biomes to explore, especially with more reason to go underground(make ores or vanity items or weapons that you can't find in surface crates/chests in villages/dungeons), possibly some hidden underground-only dungeons that are somehow easier to find than not(probably make them span most of the planet's length or height or something). Missions aren't really much of my cup of tea, except for the boss fights. If only there were minibosses in the dungeons that were like the one boss in the hyotl temple except with half or maybe just one of the moves she has.

Also, i've noticed that my crew members are dumb enough to stand inside trap pits/spikes/flame spews/lava if i'm too close for them to teleport out(they just fall right into the pit instead of jumping over it). They end up dying that way. Ended up having to fight the Avian Temple Boss alone because of the Fire Traps.

20. Jareix Cryvix

Well if it's simply more biomes and content you want, I highly recommend installing Frackin' Universe. It's so huge, it might as well be free DLC...

Arra likes this.