Engineer crewmember tweak

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by ReisenII, Aug 6, 2016.

1. ReisenII

ReisenII Poptop Tamer

Seeing how much unnecessary/obsolete becomes gathering fuel if you have an Engineer crewmember for lots of time (travelling for me now costs 0-4 fuel after I had an Engineer for a lot of time), I'd like to put here an edit suggestion:

Make the engineer bonus add some fuel instead of directly cut the travel cost.

The amount of fuel added could be a % of the remaining (e.g. 5% of your current fuel), to mimic the actual mechanic, but if you jump a lot you will run out of it. This tweak also give some more usefulness to the Mechanic bonus to increase the maximum fuel capacity: I have over 5000 capacity but I will unlikely even run out of the 500 I currently have.

Ankali and sagenth like this.
  2. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Engineers and mechanics are both mind-blowingly broken right now... I don't even know what the devs were thinking. I don't think your suggestion is even an adequate fix for how broken they are... but it's better than what we have at least.

3. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't understand why you guys complain,don't get a mechanic or just get rid of them if you don't like what they do.

4. Knight9910

Because the game is broken and needs to be fixed. Duh.

I mean, really, that's like saying "I don't understand why people complained about their cars exploding, just don't buy a Pinto!"

5. alextulinov

Thing is,most people are happy with fuel being obsolete after mechanics for a long time

6. Knight9910

1. Unless you've done a survey of every player ever, you don't get to say "most."

2. You know, there are people who would be happy if they got a sword that insta-killed all monsters on a planet, but that doesn't mean they should put one in.

7. alextulinov

So far this is the only thread where people actually complain about the mechanic being overpowered every other thread it was a slight annoyance that no one cares about.that sword would actually be pretty cool but the mechanics are already in game and aren't the the worst thing to complain about right now.

8. Knight9910

And in a world where there are still landmines left over from old wars, minimum wage isn't the worst thing to complain about, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a problem.

Any better arguments, or are you done?

9. alextulinov

More or less I see your point and can't see that you'll agree with mine.

10. ReisenII

ReisenII Poptop Tamer

This way of implementing Engineer bonus still makes refueling obsolete when you have 15k of fuel capacity and 2-3k of fuel on board (and those are not sick numbers, since I have it myself with no efforts), since it would add like 100 fuel each 5 minutes, but you would actually have to work to get on that point, that's my suggestion. It's not a complain, not a way to take out elements of the game, just a personal suggestion to tweak it to be more realistic and not binary (you either have the engineer and the fuel will be obsolete or you don't have it)

11. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow, so that is why my engineer hasn't been increasing my fuel capacity.. It isn't his job. I feel so dumb for not having learned this sooner.

I agree the fuel needs a far more value late game.