Modding Help custom ship pets in Starbound 1.0

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by XelSlime, Oct 4, 2016.

1. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm trying to create a custom pet for my slime race, a small slime critter. I made a copy of the bunny to begin with, edited its sprites, replaced all instances of "bunny" with "slimecritter", made sure that slimecritter.monstertype's "anchorName" : "slimepersontechstation", and slimepersontechstation.object's "shipPetType" : "slimecritter", but I had problems, so I tried instead editing a copy of a snugget instead, but I'm still getting issues.

I'm attaching a copy of my log file. Can someone help me sort out what I'm missing? Maybe it's not possible to have custom ship pets for all I know, or maybe there's an extra file that needs adjustment that's just not obvious to me.

Attached Files:

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Well, for one, you are missing the key "appliesWeatherStatusEffects" in your .monstertype file.
    Just add '"appliesWeatherStatusEffects" : false' somewhere in the statusSettings of the file.
    (If you haven't already tried, it is much more beneficial to use the files of an existing race's pet for yours instead of altering another monsters files to work.)

There's also an error with a variable type with your tech station when spawning the pet. But from what I've seen before, that error pops up when the monster itself is incomplete, so I wouldn't worry about it.

(Custom pets are 100% possible. My race mod has one and it has no problems whatsoever. It's just a matter of setting it up properly. :))

3. XelSlime

Ah, see, I'm no programmer, I did see something about that in the log file, but I wasn't sure how to deal with. Also, sometimes, there've been notes about copies of things, but I know they had nothing to do with the mod work. Some ... tritanium thing I think? I dunno.

Thankfully, through uploading the mod and chatting about it, I've acquired new friends, and one of them actually knows LUA, so he can help with future cases too. I'll note about this thread and we'll sort things out, thank you, Inf_Wolf14.

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  4. Inf_Wolf14

Alright, hope you get it all worked out. ^.^

If you need any more help don't hesitate to ask.

5. XelSlime

This's an exact copy of the snugget file with adjustments. Snuggets don't have such a line reading like that, but they do have

"appliesEnvironmentStatusEffects" : false,

Is this... incorrect or something? Or maybe it needs both.

6. Inf_Wolf14

It needs both lines to work with the new weather status effect system.

Also, you may have to unpack your vanilla assets again. :p
    I'm looking at my vanilla snugget files and that line is right below "appliesEnvironmentStatusEffects"
    Code:
          "appliesEnvironmentStatusEffects" : false,
          "appliesWeatherStatusEffects" : false,
          "minimumLiquidStatusEffectPercentage" : 0.1,

7. XelSlime

Got it to work shortly after my last post, thanks Inf_Wolf14, mod's been updated. I also credited you for that information.

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.