RELEASED [SMAPI] Chests Anywhere

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Version 1.4 is now available on Nexus Mods!

Changes:
    • Updated for Stardew Valley 1.1.
    • Added chest category which lets you override the location grouping.
    • Added fields to edit sort order and hide chests.
    • Fixed edited chest name not saving correctly.
    Feel free to post bugs, suggestions, or feedback here. :)

• SpringsSong

SpringsSong Cosmic Narwhal

Thank you for the quick update to 1.1! I just put your update into my game--it works beautifully! I can rename my chests once again and sort them how I want to! With the feature to rename them, that's one less mod I need to use (AccessChestAnywhere + Chest Label system, previously). And the ability to customize the hotkey to open it is a godsend--I have another mod that calls on the "B" key (Timespeed--return time to the config defaults), and that one cannot be customized.

Pathoschild likes this.
      • LakhesisGames

LakhesisGames Space Hobo

A really big thank you for such a prompt update to this mod! I consider this a must have for me, so I was bummed to go a day without it, lol. But seriously, thank you!!

Pathoschild likes this.
        • brittpinkie

brittpinkie Void-Bound Voyager

Hey there! Thanks so much for this awesome mod! I think I ran across a glitch though, with the new version. When I go to rename a chest, if I don't also give it a sort number, after exiting out of the menu, the chest disappears :( Then it's no longer in my list of chests and I can't find a way to get it back. I just quit the day so I didn't lose the chests forever, but I thought I'd mention this is happening.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

I can't reproduce the issue in my game. A few questions:
            • Are you sure it disappeared, and wasn't just moved to the bottom of the list? Chests with no sort order are listed after chests that have one. If you have a lot of chests, the bottom of the list may also be hidden until you scroll (you should see little up/down arrows next to the dropdown list).
            • Is it possible you changed the category? If so you may not see it until you switched to that category.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Version 1.5 beta is now available (see attached). This includes new features and a significant rewrite of the mod, so early feedback is welcome before it's released tomorrow.

Release highlights:
              • Since Chest Label System is no longer maintained, this version entirely replaces it. You can now point at a chest to see its name, and edit the chest directly after opening it:
                [​IMG]
              • All known bugs have been fixed.
              • Major portions of the mod have been rewritten to make it more robust and enable future development.
              Specific changes in 1.5 beta:
              • Added name tooltip when your cursor is over a chest.
              • Added edit button when you open a chest directly.
              • Added cancel button when editing a chest.
              • Fixed fridge being accessible before it's unlocked.
              • Fixed error when you click an unavailable inventory slot.
              • Fixed error when you open the menu but don't have any chests.
              • Fixed UI not being resized when game window is resized.
              • Fixed visual issues.
              • Major rewrite under the hood.
              Feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are welcome. :)

(EDIT: beta download removed; see latest version.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
                Acerbicon and foghorn like this.
              • SpringsSong

I can't seem to bring up the edit dialogue to rename any of my chests in the pre-release of this. o_O No matter where I click, it doesn't bring up anything.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Hmm.
                  • Do you see the little speech bubble icon ( upload_2016-10-7_17-46-6.png )? If not, can you take screenshots after opening a chest directly, and after pressing B (or the equivalent hotkey)?
                  • After trying it again, send me the file at %appdata%\StardewValley\ErrorLogs\MODDED_ProgramLog.Log_LATEST.txt.

Attached Files:

• SpringsSong

Yes, there are speech bubble icons both when opening through my equivalent hotkey, and when opening a chest manually. However, clicking does absolutely nothing.

Here's my latest error log, although I'm afraid it won't be much help. The only error is related to another mod.

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Hmmm.
                      • Do you use a controller or mouse?
                      • When you hover over the speech bubble, it should very slightly change shape or size. Does that happen?
                      • Try temporarily removing all mods except Chests Anywhere. Does the problem still happen?

• SpringsSong

• Mouse
                        • No, it does not change size outside of the normal "pulsing".
                        • Yes, the problem still occurs with only Chests Anywhere present.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

• SpringsSong

• VIspReaderUS

VIspReaderUS Void-Bound Voyager

heres a thought, why not make the chest naming separate?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

What do you mean?

• VIspReaderUS

VIspReaderUS Void-Bound Voyager

redo chest label system? Instead of including it to 'chest anywhere'. To manage it better instead of cramming it both in one mod? And better for all of us

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@SpringsSong: can you send me your save file? I'm wondering if it's failing due to something in your data. Thanks for the help looking into this. :)

We could move the feature into a separate mod, but:
                                1. It wouldn't affect the problem. There's an issue somewhere in the edit code that only happens in some cases (I haven't been able to reproduce it yet). That issue would exist whether the code was in this mod or a separate one.

2. The edit screen also shows the chest category, list order, and whether to hide the chest from Chests Anywhere. Those values are specific to this mod, and wouldn't make sense in a separate mod. And if Chests Anywhere has a full edit UI anyway for those fields, it may as well do the name too. It's the edit screen that has an issue, not the name field specifically.

3. The edit screen and access screen are just two UIs built on top of the same framework, so there's very little trouble in having both. Separating them into two mods would be more complicated, since they'd need to share a framework (with all the versioning complications that introduces).

4. The chest options are integral to this mod. It's much less useful without them, so I don't want to just patch the defunct chest name mod — I think the chest options should be a fully-supported feature.

• SpringsSong

Here's my file. And, for what it's worth, here's my mod list.

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@SpringsSong: the cursor logic is confused because you changed the zoom level. I'll spend some time retesting everything at different zoom levels before the next beta. Thanks again for the help! :)

• SpringsSong

@Pathoschild

Glad to have helped! I've gotten so used to having it zoomed out as far as it can go that it feels weird to have it at the default. ^^;