Modding Discussion Modding Guides and General Modding Discussion--REDUX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleraskol

littleraskol Subatomic Cosmonaut

Cool, thanks!

sivolobwho likes this.
    • littleraskol

I'm actually pretty confused now, though, because while the code seems to be using GPL3, the mod description says: "You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod."

That seems like a matter of, idk, forum rules? I don't want to just blatantly ignore the guy's wishes because I'm pretty indebted to him for the foundational code, but also I don't know if he'll ever return and see my request.

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

"Mod Assets Permissions" refers to the mod's actual contents (textures, *.dll files, etc.,), not the GPL-licensed source.

• littleraskol

OK got it. Thanks again!

• Blooky

Blooky Big Damn Hero

Does anyone know which file has the falling petals animation?

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

@Blooky 'Cursors.xnb' in 'LooseSprites'.

• owlsomniac

owlsomniac Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm having rather a strange issue with the toolkit. When I try to unpack files, all I get is the YAML and no PNG. I have no idea where my PNG files could be disappearing to, or if this is some kind of glitch with the toolkit itself. Can anyone help?

• milesaway52

milesaway52 Big Damn Hero

Is there anything else needed other than the files from xnb extractor? I followed the instructions in the read_me, clicked unpackfiles.bat, a cmd window popped up, disappeared, and nothing else happened.

• rodas

rodas Void-Bound Voyager

hey guys do you know what could be making the spouses room mod not work, i get this System.MissingFieldException: Field not found: 'StardewValley.game1.content'.
                    at SpousesRoomMod.SpousesRoomMod.LoadSpouseRoom[]
                    at SpousesRoomMod.SpousesRoomMod.Events_UpdateTick[Object sender, EventArgs e]
                    at System.EventHandler.Invoke[Object sender,EventArgs e]
                    at StardewModdingApi.Events.GameEvents.InvokeUpdateTick [] in Z:\Projects\SMAPI\src\StardewModdingApi\Events\Game.cs:line 80
                    i want to update this mod and i dont really know what to do, if someone can indicate how to fix this it would be appreciated/

• sivolobwho

sivolobwho Phantasmal Quasar

I tried updating that mod a long time ago and it was a bust. I started from scratch and had a much easier time. Let me know if you need any tips. Good luck!

• rodas

rodas Void-Bound Voyager

well if you couldnt update that mod then probably i wont be able to update since im a newbee but if you manage to make a similar mod i would appreciate it since some marriage mods do not change the room in the house.

• sivolobwho

sivolobwho Phantasmal Quasar

I have little interest in making a mod for that purpose. I wasn't a huge fan of the mod's functionality anyways, even if it did work (which it KIND of did before 1.1, although there were a lot of errors, including misspelling of several NPC names, which made those rooms not work). I simply needed to add spouse rooms for NPCs for my own marriage mod.

That said, I don't think it would be too hard to update/replicate the Spouses Room Mod and make it actually function like it should. I'm not a programmer at all and I figured it out, so I'm sure you can take a crack at it. Like I said, let me know if you need any pointers, but I am not interested in making the mod myself.

• Lord Reginald

Lord Reginald Void-Bound Voyager

Hi there.
                            I got an issue with unpacking the files using XNB Node.
                            In the linked Post about the Installation It said extract the contents in the app folder, but there isn't any in the most recent 7zip archive.
                            So xnb_node.cmd didn't find the files so I checked what it did and wrote the prompt with the right folders down.
                            Code:
                            node main.js extract Content EContent 
                            doesn't work even tho xnb_node.cmd does nothing else than running node using main.js and the parameters you normally would give it.
                            Also node main.js -V/-h give the right results only the extract commands doesn't seem to work. It doesn't give an error but it also doesn't work.

So my only Question is where to extract the files of the .7zip so that the normal way would work or better where to extract the Contents of the xnb-node file in the archive.
                            Also linked an image showing the results of the code shown above with the three different options(-h -V and -q).

Attached Files:

• shuckle

shuckle Lucky Number 13

Hello, friends.

I'm interested in making mods for Stardew Valley, but I don't know the first thing about modding. I'm willing to learn. But I've never seen mods like the ones I'd like to make.
                              I'm primarily interested in modding the UI for this game. My biggest concern is the dialogue box.

Here is what the dialogue box looks like currently. [​IMG]

And here is what I think an ideal dialogue box would look like. (I was too lazy to include the heart level indicator but pretend it's on top of the portrait)
                              [​IMG]

From what little I understand about modding, here's what changes I'd need to do:
                              • Change the font to the one used in the menu screens.
                              • Completely retexture the dialogue box itself.
                              • Adjust the text placement so that more words can fit on the screen at once.
                              • Reduce the size of the dialogue box so zooming out is not mandatory if you want to see more than half of the screen when a character is talking for those with smaller screens.
                              • Place the portrait on top of the dialogue box and give it a transparent background.
                              • Move the friendship level indicator to be on top of the lower-right part of the portrait, Harvest Moon style.
                              • Make it so that the character's name appears above the dialogue box to allow more room for dialogue.

This would extend to other text boxes, like letters and the books in the library.
                              This would require a lot more work than changing a few values or retexturing a sprite. I get that. I'd like to know if this is even possible to do right now. I understand if it's not possible given the current tools.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
                                randomAnon123 likes this.
                              • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

It would be a massive project and require SMAPI (thus C# knowledge), but more then doable if you are willing to spend the effort for it.

shuckle likes this.
                                • shuckle

shuckle Lucky Number 13

Oh dear. My only coding experience comes from changing the color of my font on Neopets. I don't think I'm up to the task. Oh well. Thank you for the answer.

• Iomega0318

Iomega0318 Big Damn Hero

I do like how you imagined the new dialog would appear :)

• Iomega0318

Iomega0318 Big Damn Hero

I updated the files to include XNBNode 0.2.2

Download here or here.

• MidnightEclipsed

MidnightEclipsed Void-Bound Voyager

Can someone help me? I have a problem with deleting the mod "GetDressed."
                                        Every time I try to delete it, I get the error message "Access to the path 'farmer_girl_base.xnb' is denied."
                                        Please, can someone help me?

Just in case, this is the Exception Text I got.
                                        See the end of this message for details on invoking
                                        just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
                                        System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'farmer_girl_base.xnb' is denied.
                                        at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound)
                                        at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
                                        at SDVMM.MainForm.delm_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                                        at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
                                        mscorlib
                                        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
                                        Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
                                        ----------------------------------------
                                        SDVMM
                                        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
                                        Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/huma/Desktop/Stardew%20Valley%20MM/SDVMM.exe
                                        System.Windows.Forms
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
                                        System
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
                                        System.Drawing
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
                                        Microsoft.VisualBasic
                                        Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
                                        Win32 Version: 14.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
                                        System.Core
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
                                        System.Deployment
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
                                        System.Xml
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
                                        System.Configuration
                                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
                                        To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
                                        application or computer (machine.config) must have the
                                        jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
                                        The application must also be compiled with debugging
                                        enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
                                        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
                                        </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
                                        will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
                                        rather than be handled by this dialog box.

• Iomega0318

Iomega0318 Big Damn Hero

Are you physically trying to delete the mod yourself or trying to use SDVMM to delete it?

Also do you have the game running, or anything that would use those files, open in tIDE, VS, anything?

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.