Modding Help Need some help with editing tile sheets.

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Sybele, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Sybele

Sybele Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm trying to edit a few things in the townInterior tile sheet. I extracted, edited and repacked using the XNBNode, move it over, but it's not showing up. Same with some edits I made on some floor tiles.

Anything I'm doing wrong? I'd appreciate the help!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Did you edit the correct one located in the Maps folder?

• IronwillAlice

IronwillAlice Void-Bound Voyager

This file?

ภาพหน้าจอ 2016-11-07 16.57.37.png

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

• IronwillAlice

IronwillAlice Void-Bound Voyager

How about this?

(newupcon=content)

upload_2016-11-7_21-22-52.png

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

• Sybele

Yes, that is the one I edited. Repacked and replaced it in the Maps folder, not showing up.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

What location is it that you are trying to edit? I can look at the sheet info for it and figure out if it perhaps isnt using the correct tilesheet.

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

Place it into the Contents folder and see if that works.

• Sybele

I'm putting it in >Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Maps

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

What I meant was put it in the main Content folder: Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content

• Sybele

That did not work.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

It needs to go on BOTH the \Stardew Valley\Content and \Stardew Valley\Content\Maps.
                        Stuff won't show up in game unless you replace both files (don't forget to back up first though).

Sybele and IronwillAlice like this.
                        • Sybele

That was it! Thank you so much! I was going crazy!

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Haha, I bet, I had the same problem myself. xD

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

If you guys could report the locations where the file doesnt seem to update, I can check what is actually going wrong there and add code to the GamePatcher module in EntoFramework to fix stuff like that :p

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Not sure I understand what you mean, but I'll try to explain what's going on here:

If you want to edit the townInterior tile sheet, you need to replace the original files in both the \Stardew Valley\Content folder and the \Stardew Valley\Content\Maps folder.

What usually happens to some people, is that they only change the file in 1 of the mentioned locations, run the game to test... and see no changes. They still see the vanilla version.

So they come to the forums and ask people what file they should be replacing for the changes to work, and they'll get 2 different replies: some people will say to replace the file in \Stardew Valley\Content and other people will say to replace the file in \Stardew Valley\Content\Maps.

So, what usually happens is, if the person initially replaced the one in \Content, they backup the original file there and try to replace the one in \Maps instead. And vice versa. So, what ends up happening is they had initially changed the file in 1 location and now they still have changed the file in 1 locations, just another one. So, once again, they relaunch the game to test and there are still no changes.

Unless you replace original files in both the \Stardew Valley\Content folder and the \Stardew Valley\Content\Maps folder, the game won't recognize the changes and will still load the vanilla graphics.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Yeah, but that is not how the code works, the code only cares about one of them, so the fact that you need to replace both means that some places it uses one, and in other places it uses the second, If you can tell me WHERE you expected the changes to be visible, I can look at the relevant code and see where it messes up, and try to create a patch for it.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I was trying to replace the fireplace in my house, to have it match my kitchen. So I changed the file in one location (can't remember which I tried first) and saw no changes. Then I went and tried to replace the file on the 2nd location only and there were still no changes. Whether I was replacing the file in \Content or \Maps, I still had the vanilla fireplace and it wasn't until I decided to replace both files that my modded fireplace actually showed in game.

And that's what makes no sense to me. If the game was loading one file for some places and another file for other places, then shouldn't changing the file in one of the locations change the fireplace? I don't really know how the code works, so this is all a bit confusing to be honest.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The code behind the fireplace is rather unique, let me have a look at it to see if I can figure it out :)

Edit: I've looked, the fireplace tiles are indeed those from the Maps folder, all references go there, so having to replace the one not in maps is extremely peculiar :S

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016