1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Delusive Dimensions v0.1

Exploring the folds of the multiverse, one dimension at a time...

1. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

G.Xyon submitted a new mod:

Delusive Dimensions - Exploring the folds of the multiverse, one dimension at a time...

Read more about this mod...

2. Onyxtrazus

Onyxtrazus Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I really like the concept and it's very promising.
    I would have some ideas about structure of some puzzles and contents:

-What about adding a folder which correspond to a pool of items which have a specific %chances to be looted in rewards & chests, and making this folder a place to put the not-lore-friendly mod items? (such as metroid armors, halo gear etc...) to implement nice stuff from other mods in a roleplay way?

-another folder to allow modders to add some handmade (not generated) dungeons without filling SAIL's mission board, improving the "multiverse" concept (dungeons wich will be accessible with a specific door, or have a % of chances to appear just like any maze in the Deep Dimensions depending of what fits better).

-Adding some puzzles which would be sub-biome themed, but falling apart with a lot of dangerous traps (falling rocks, natural biohazards, deadly gas etc...)?
    (for exemple a toxic little labyrinth crumbling, letting some poison pouch falling from the ceiling, making wrong ways taken quite deadly over time, or if tar-themed slowing the PJ if he touch tar pools, making the escape of the crumbling place a lot more difficult... things like this)

-Adding some dungeons made to use battle vehicles (like the mods with mecha, or with flying ships) in hard fights. Would be simply awesome! ^^

Anyway, great concept, and good luck for this mod! : )

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    G.Xyon likes this.
  3. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

This is exactly the purpose of Treasure Rooms! Treasure Rooms are dead-end dimensions that will lead up to a special area. They can be anything and do not have to conform to the "lore" or theme the mod has; hell, they can even be permanent instances, much like the Outpost! I personally enjoy making sure the mod has consistent quality, so whether I'll openly allow other modders add dimensions on their own will be up for debate, however I'm definitively open for suggestions. I do like the sound of a modular mod, but it also sounds like a ton of work.

This is a great idea! I'll see if I can do something along these lines, having themes certainly helps. The Shattered versions should be extra spooky!

That would be pretty cool, but I'm on the fence about it. I dislike the idea of a section of the mod being dependant on something very specific or a mod's ability to deliver; the idea of the puzzles is to let the player decide how to approach them and solve them in their own way, not force them to carry something for the sole purpose of "just in case this dungeon appears". I suppose compromises could be done to solve this issue, but regardless, it'll be in the backburner for now.

4. enderlordalatreon

enderlordalatreon Big Damn Hero

I don't know what this mod offers besides the description but I fully support it and will invest money in it...not really but I do support it.

G.Xyon likes this.
  5. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

Ahah, thank you for the support!

The mod will provide both a hearty challenge through puzzles, mazes, races, etc etc, with the chance of ending up at a dead end: if the player is well-equipped, then they will be able to escape without repercussion, if not, there will be some kind of loss (whether death, losing a valuable teleporter, or having you restart your game). If the player is able to solve these challenges and make it out in one piece, they will receive rare loot, and a chance to enter a special area!

The danger of the mod comes through the fact that you might die while even trying to get to these challenges, as well as providing an omnious and spooky atmosphere that, who knows, your next stop might just be a dead end with nowhere else to go!

Something else the mod would like to offer is user input; the mod will start out as an initial base, however with user suggestions and ideas, players will be able to see the variety in rooms that other players and users have suggested, whether it's a treasure room, or some kind of puzzle; and at that, anyone can submit their own ideas and possibly have them be integrated within the mod.

So far, none of the puzzles have been integrated yet as they're still in the works, along with the treasure rooms. However what IS integrated, is how the mod works so far; teleporting through dimensions, selecting them randomly, making sure everything is set properly, etc etc. All of the boring stuff is done, now all it's missing is the fun stuff. :nuruwink:

6. tealsummernights

tealsummernights Void-Bound Voyager

When you say "restart your game," do you mean quitting then reselecting your character, or restarting entirely? Either way, I don't think it's a good idea.

7. Legogod

Legogod Cosmic Narwhal

Even the original Minecraft mod has ways to escape Limbo unharmed.

8. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

I certainly agree! What I really mean with the quit-and-select is that Starbound will toss your character back into your ship if you quit the game while your character is on a perishable/instanced world; this cirumvents death, which in the MC mod, was one of the two natural ways to exit Limbo whilst unprepared. Unfortunately, this is something that I can't stop, and certainly a method alot of people will eventually exploit to get out; unlike the original MC mod, which kept the player in the dimension regardless of quitting. This issue exists, and the mod embraces it as one of the many ways of exiting, if the player is desperate enough and does not wish to die. A well-prepared adventurer should not need to resort to these kinds of methods, of course!

Quite true, however the mod DOES provide saftey nets at the start of your journey; the disposable teleporters sold by the merchant in the hub are specifically made as a safety net item for a small fee. If the player jumps into the unknown without being prepared, then that's on them for not equipping themselves appropriately. I believe that the penalty for taking a risk without proper preparation should be very hefty, or at the very least, rather cumbersome.

That was one of the issues I had with Dimensional Doors: Limbo kind of loses the scare factor once you learn that if you go a bit to your right and down a hill, you can escape Limbo thought those pools. It just makes it an inconveniance rather than a penalty, and I felt that that sort of thing makes the mod lose some of the risk altogether.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  9. Onyxtrazus

Onyxtrazus Void-Bound Voyager

The most I read your messages, the most I'm sure that this mod will be awesome! ^^

Indeed, it could ask quite a lot of time. But if it's structure can allow to implement other stuff quite smoothly, this mod could become just astounding and a must-have! ^^
    (and probably giving a chance to implement stuff through the Deep dimension, avoiding this way a lot of various conflicts between mods or risk of bugs and making Starbound far greater)

THIS would be... ... ... just so great ^^ (it will ask a lot of ideas to create interesting places and time to make it, but so much potential!)

You're totally right. I should have been more precise with my thoughts. Let's correct this: (SPOILER ALERT: this will be a lot of text! You've be warned! xD)
    To avoid to have to carry anything, I was thinking about making the vehicle already present in the dungeon itself, ready to use in it's beginning, but destroyable (to bind it to the dungeon and prevent people to get a powerful vehicle for free. Maybe adding a NPC to tell the player in a RP way that he won't be able to spawn it elsewhere).

And about the difficulty balence and giving various ways to solve problems, I think that making the main part of the dungeon really hard but giving optional ways to weaken opponents could make it.
    (for exemple, beginning the dungeon in a warehouse with a ship or mecha inside ready to be used to engage ennemies outside, with an NPC explaining the objective (to reach a gate of an old civilisation [to go back to the Deep Dimension] protected by ennemy base, or any nice objective), but the battlefield would have powerful turrets and quite a lot of infantry, so the ones who just rush in will have a REALLY hard fight to stay alive, while those who observe the environment will be able to see the hatch in the floor that lead them to the stock of ammo of the outpost, allowing them to blow it up and weaken ennemy forces, or an underground pannel connected to outposts turrets change it to ally against their troops, or a legendary staff that will push a local giant beast to attack them, an ennemy soldier taking a bath in the outside with his uniform ready-to-steal to infiltrate ennemy base without being shoot by outside troops & turrets... things like this ^^).

Another idea come to my mind about the spooky places: what do you think of special dungeon themes? things like:
    -a new biome based on inverted colors to obtain things completely different looking?
    -some puzzles with riddles giving clues to pay attention of special parts of the place (lights, plants, liquids or anything) which allow to avoid lethal traps (for example a riddle with "swamp" as answer will push the player to walk under the swamp, avoiding a swarm of lethal insect which kill anyone they spot in few seconds, or if the vines is the answer, encourage the character to avoid the crumbling parts of the area which lead to deadly quicksands... etc... but I guess this kind of stuff was already in your mind :nuruwink:)

10. tealsummernights

tealsummernights Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, sound good! I had worried that "well-prepared" might mean "welp, I happened not to bring X item, now I have to kill myself." I'm glad that's not the case. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

11. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Uh...I cant seem to find a dimensional door.... I have several mods, FU being one I would think that would cause them not to spawn due to planet and moon generation and stuff...

12. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

Strange, you should be able to. All of my tests are run alongside other mods: Airless Dungeons in particular makes an FU Inclusion, since it does indeed edit all of the vanilla biomes. I may have not tested moons in non-vanilla stars (Dying, Binary, Red, Blue, etc), so perhaps there could be an issue.

I do, however, plan to make a compatibility patch for DD and the Gyrusens+ mod so they both can generate dungeons in both vanilla and FU generated environments sometime later once most of the bulk has been dealt with. For now, however, they should spawn in vanilla system moons, regardless if you have FU installed or not.

Arra likes this.
  13. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Hrm, well, Imma keep looking! OFF TO ADVENTURE!

14. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

This looks very interesting. While a completely black background fits well, wouldn't a black and white background that resemble some sort of twisted, distorted dimensions or spaces be better to give a spookier feel?
    Also, when you say puzzle, are you talking about something that's more about platforming, or switches / password kind of wiring stuffs, or solving obstacles that can be only solved by X tools / utilities?
    Should we just post ideas here though? Especially the puzzles, wouldn't that give people a lot of clues? :3

G.Xyon likes this.
  15. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

The background will actually have floating eyes, which will start of closed, but as you progress further deeper, they will open and focus on your actions. The more open the eyes are, the deeper into danger you're getting!

I also thought about adding background rooms and such, just floating in nothingness as well. Good ideas! I'll see what we come up with.

A little bit of everything, actually! There current planned puzzles are:
    • Normal Platforming: Standard platforming. Try not to fall off!
    • Grapple-Based Platforming: Similar to standard platforming, but some sort of grapple object is REQUIRED. Otherwise, you can take a provided exit nearby spawn.
    • Mazes with normal and invisible walls: Standard maze that might or might not show walls.
    • Timed races: A race from point A to point B. If you fail to beat the clock, you have to take the loser's exit.
    • Choose-a-side: You must choose Side A or Side B: the side you choose will be the only road available.
    • Lever-based puzzles: You will require to hit a lever to proceed. Some will require ALL levers to be hit in order to proceed.
    • Sensor-based puzzles: Similar to lever-based, however these will require a sensor to be active, such as a liquid or entity sensor.
    This is all written down in a brainstorming sheet, so puzzle categories will be added or taken out as the mod develops.

All depends on you! You can directly PM me actual puzzles if you want to keep it super-sneaky, or you can submit ideas for puzzles if you can't think of anything solid. Regardless, credit will be given.

16. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

...-gulp- Well, that sounds really tempting now. Is it numerous of eyes with various sizes, or one big eye in the middle with tiny eyes around it though?

That's nice. Is it possible to make objects that can be wired but also smashed at the same time by attacks though? If it's possible then I'll try draft out a puzzle for it when I'm back to home and PM you the base idea on how it works. I also have a few ideas about platforming but I have to test it in-game myself first.

Oh, I'm a little SM, so I guess the puzzles will be a bit unforgiving. :nuruflirt:

17. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

I've tried to make a center eye, but unfortunately most of the possible ways I know to do so don't work appropriately, so for now we'll just have scattered eyes.

Smashable objects do sound interesting, but I'm unsure if they're able to trigger some kind of sensor or detatch wires upon breaking. You CAN make them uninteractable, though. As for the smashable objects, I'll have to experiment later on and get back to you on that.
    Good, good... the harder the puzzle, the better getting the loot will feel! No trapping though, the puzzle has to be solvable to an extent.

18. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

This is my main concern. Or else the puzzle I'm thinking may need alternative solution but smashable would be more desirable. Hope it can works then. :)

Don't worry it'll be solvable. I'll try it in-game first to see if it works before giving you the draft. It'll be coupled with some riddles at most but nothing artificially punishing.

19. Eoxor

Eoxor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

are you going to put this mod on the steam workshop? not trying to be an arrogant person

20. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

No worries mate! I do indeed plan to release the mod (and other ones I have) to the Steam Workshop once they're stable content-wise.