Your hopes for multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jerev, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

We don't know much about multiplayer but I'd like to ask you guys what you picture in your head.
    Do you think it will be all players working on one farm or multiple farms?
    Will the players be rivals in case of the marriage candidates?
    Just posting some thoughts.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I'd think a single farm. The doubling of the active farm space and ongoing changes in that space would seem to eat into a lot of RAM, otherwise.

Just my opinion, mind. I suppose we'll find out when we find out, ;)

• Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

I believe you will have to start a new game for Multiplayer only, just so people don't go the easy way on the bundles and end up with easy saves

• roacher

roacher Void-Bound Voyager

━━━━━┒
          ┓┏┓┏ Can't live without MULTIPLAYER !!
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃\0/
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃ /
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃ノ)
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┛┗┛┗┛┃
          ┓┏┓┏┓┃
          ┻┻┻┻┻┻
          ━━━━━━━━━━━━┒

4leaf clover and WilliamZ like this.
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

First thought on seeing this was not the intended building and thirty-two feet per second, per second, but 'that's not an efficient place to put a scarecrow, and those sprinklers are too close together'.

Well, as a top-down plan of a farm plot, what /else/ would you think?

Tigerle and Jerev like this.
            • Jerev

But processing another farm can't be more complicated than calculating the hundreds of slimes some people are hatching everywhere on their save. I hope that we can play with at least up to three farms that are positioned in the empty spots on the map.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Think of it as everything we know, including hundreds of slimes, and multiply by two. To me, admittedly, that could be a major issue. But I could be wrong.

• w00tl00ps

w00tl00ps Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nearly spit out my tea laughing at this. Same thing happened to me. "That's a really dumb place for a scarecr...oh."

Ironically I hopped on randomly to start this thread finding it had already been started.

My question is, imagine this as not quite an MMO... but say 8 or so people, maybe 10-20. Imagine how much more insanely amazing this would be with a community of actual farmers in it. I know we won't get that, but if I was developing multiplayer for the intention of furthering this game I would make it more than just say 2 farmers on the same farm, assuming -entirely assuming, that is what we end up with. This game lays down the ground work for what could be SO SO much more. I would lose my job honestly if it went that route LOL. I know that's sad. I imagine most of you here can relate though.

I'm going to say something that will likely get me stoned, maybe for good reason. I would pay the cost of this game... MONTHLY... (Do you hear that dev team?) if such an experience was offered. Don't tell me you wouldn't!

• Jerev

My guess would be that not many people have more than only 2-3 friends who also play the game. My solution would be that there are multiple spots for farms. Tgey are closed when no one is online but when someone logs in the doors open and you can get to that persons farm. There just couldn't be more than four people online an the same time.
                    If you would permanently add 10-20 farms CA would have to create a new big map with insanely long routes for some people.
                    If the multiplayer ends up being a DLC I imagine that no one would object.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

That would be perfect, my girlfriend would focus in the ranch while I do my stuff on the mines *-*

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

While there's a lot still up in the air, the prototype for 'multiplayer' as described in early development indicates this is not intended as any kind of MMO, but a setup where up to four friends can share a farmstead and probably explore the mines together, with all other aspects being roughly the same. Where will they sleep? Will they be able to still marry and pursue the social angle? Does everyone get the ghost of a long-dead grandparent to pester them? These are still unanswered questions.

There are some demo videos CA put up of two players working on the same farm, since he had a lot of the code for this worked out early on and just decided to delay final work on it to get the polished single-player mode out earlier. They're a few years out of date, and, wow, the graphics in them are pretty funky compared to what he finally went with, especially the home decor. Very 1970's.

Video from close to four years ago, showing early multiplayer beta-testing.

• Yoseiri

Yoseiri Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe two houses for two farmers (More farmers are more houses), the farm will be bigger
                          All farmers share their money
                          And if farmer1 best friend is (NPC name) but (NPC name) hate farmer2 so (NPC name) will gossip about farmer2 to farmer 1 ?
                          Maybe they can hug each other OuO ? THey're friend after all
                          :cathug::cathug::cathug:

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Fable 3 multiplayer with Minecraft permissions. You are your own character. You carry over your own money on that character only. You can affect their world if they give you permissions to do so. Otherwise, you simply visit. You can marry each other. Have a business relationship. Etc.

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Damn, I wish that you could still just change the walls and floors like that.

• Trantula45

Trantula45 Void-Bound Voyager

Local Multiplayer. That is all.

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

Would be interesting to see some extra large farm maps that 2 players can help build out. I don't mind if there's a loading screen wall to get double the build space.

Or just have a loose local online community that competes with each other to earn certain prizes. Visit each others farms, and perhaps have competing Grange displays, but without the need for each player to share the same in-game calendar day.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
                                  • housemaster

housemaster Poptop Tamer

Sorry I bet this question has been asked before, but is there any communication from CG about the multiplayer? Like a roadmap or something?

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Nothing yet, unfortunately. An update would be lovely though, we're all so curious about the progress of multiplayer.