WIP Stardew Valley Expanded Dialogue Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by hmfanbtnann, Oct 29, 2016.

1. domolovestea

domolovestea Void-Bound Voyager

Would definitely like to see this mod become a thing. The whole time I was wooing Emily, she never acted flirty or really acknowledged our budding relationship. I guess it could just be how her character is, but it wasn't nearly as fun as dating someone like Leah, who still asks if I'm lonely at my farmhouse even though I'm married :wtf:

• themightygoat

themightygoat Yeah, You!

I love stardew so much but after a while I don't see a point in talking to anyone anymore because all their dialogue is the same. Aside from the spouses who seem to have some variations every once in a while that still surprise me (shane even says some new things to me atm) so this app would be great. I wouldn't mind an R rated one, not much for smut but a /suggestion/ every once in a while would be fun lol.

• tinywolves

tinywolves Seal Broken

I am so stoked on more dialogue, I was thinking of doing this myself (I've just started doing map edits and stuff for myself and the dialogue was one thing that bothered me). I would love something hm about pg-13, like some quirky things only adults understand anyway. That's sort of what I liked about animal crossing games, they some dirty things hidden.
        Having characters become flirty as they got closer to you would be awesome. As you become their friend they should have pet names or nicknames or something like if Haley called me like "bestie" I would die, and I would love for Elliot to call me like "beautiful" or something cheesy since, well he's cheesy. I donno that was just at the top of my head haha.

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

I'm looking to create a more immersive dialogue system that in general, adds more dialogue at more meaningful times.

The only issue is that I don't really have ideas for what dialogue to add :S
          I'm not very artisticc

• Tewth

Tewth Aquatic Astronaut

I have had the exact same idea lately, I'm married to Haley and have been editing her dialogue.

I'm attempting to fix the horrendous thing she says about her days as flower queen being limited when I ask her to dance in spring; I've made it so she comments on how romantic it is at the dance of the moonlight jellies event, and stating that she actually remembered her camera this year! Now I need to figure out how to get the haley_camera texture instead of just plain Haley for this one..

This and adding more diversity to her marriage schedule, like ACTUALLY still going to the beach/ice cream stand, and taking more photos :3

tinywolves likes this.
            • Sennek

Sennek Big Damn Hero

So any news on this mod? Has it died already?

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds incredibly ambitious, but it would be lovely if you could manage it.

Good luck, and I hope this project doesn't die. More immersive dialogue is always a good thing in games like this.

• Aristobulus

Aristobulus Void-Bound Voyager

This is the kind of thing I'd hope gets patched into the game anyway. But it really needs to be a thing. Personally I'd like an uncensored version that could be r rated at times too, for max level heart dialogue with spouse, or flirty dialogue with dating. Though I wouldn't want it to be all the time or anything, but just sometimes. Basically, I like the idea of dialogue being an expansive thing from g to r, to show depth and see the characters in many different lights.

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

If this is something you guys would really like... write up some dialogue and context and I'd be happy to do the programming side of it all.
                    I'm already working on a more dynamic system for dialogue in my current mod, Longevity.

Like I said, I would love to have more dialogue, but I would need creative story telling skills (I'm not sure how well I would do on my own).

• firstfruits

firstfruits Void-Bound Voyager

So how do you edit dialog- which files? Any thoughts on making Jas and Vincent the May and Stu of this game?

• Gwenhwyfar

Gwenhwyfar Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi!

It's nice that you're planning to expand the dialogue in Stardew Valley!

I, myself, have thought of working on NPCs to speak a bit more than once or twice per a day because I found it a bit irritating that once they've said their dialogue for that day, they refuse to talk to you for the rest of the day. It made the NPCs seem a bit anti-social. I was going to resolve the issue by putting a simple implementation where the NPCs would repeat the last thing they said for the day, sort of going with the way Harvest Moon handles NPC dialogue when they have nothing new to say, so it doesn't feel like they outright refuse to talk to the player; the player just learns they don't have anything new to say.

I didn't have time to actually implement the mod I was thinking of for this since I have way too many other mods in mind and I'm also putting attention into finding a job.

DreamerDrop likes this.
                        • DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd actually be happy to help if I can. I don't think I could do dialogue for every character, but I'd be happy to write up a mass of extra dialogue for some of them.

I'd just be worried that since I don't know anything about the programming side of things, I might suggest dialogue that isn't viable... or stuff that conflicts with people's own perceptions of characters... But I could certainly try anyway.

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

Don't worry about viability of your suggestions! If you have ideas or content that you think would be a good fit to the game, share them.
                            That is all I propose to anyone interested in these content additions.

I plan to add a level of complexity to the system of dialogue,
                            so it isn't just about putting more dialogue into the game (width),
                            but also delivering dialogue in a more meaningful way (depth).

More on that later on in future development.

Acerbicon and DreamerDrop like this.
                            • Yaushibee

Yaushibee Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know if this project is dead or not but I'm hoping it will continue. I only recently started playing SDV and noticed that after awhile the dialogue really does start to get stale. It'd also be nice if there was more indication my farmer is dating Harvey haha.

In regards to ideas for some of the characters, I think I recall Evelyn saying how she first met George at one of the town's celebrations but I don't know which. If she did mention it, it would be neat to see it expanded upon in her dialogue. George and her are my favorite NPCs so any expansion upon them would be wonderful. I'd especially like to see George speak of his daughter? I don't think he's even ever mentioned her.

As I said, I'm new to the game but I'd be more than willing to give dialogue suggestions too if needed.

maxiner and DreamerDrop like this.
                              • CastleContinent

CastleContinent Intergalactic Tourist

Hey if this is still going I'd be really interested in helping develop and an expansive dialogue mod. I get paid to write as my day job and I feel like I'm a decent story teller. If this is still going feel free to give me a shout. I'd be happy to help!

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

PM me those ideas!

Aveloren likes this.
                                  • DJ-Keala

DJ-Keala Void-Bound Voyager

I cant wait for this mod. I hope it goes well!

• Tewth

Tewth Aquatic Astronaut

A lot of the dialogue for events and things that the spouses say to you on the farm is hardcoded into the .exe and can only be changed by decoding it, editing it and re packaging the .exe, anyone know if there is a way to make an smapi mod that can edit these dialogues without having to do it by hand like that??

I did it for some of Haleys dialogue like for the flower dance (she is now thrilled to dance with me :p ) but it was a bit of a pain searching for it..

• shinones

shinones Aquatic Astronaut

Oh, that's actually a wonderful idea! I can't wait!
                                        If you have a problem in the process, I will be glad to help. ~ Just let me know. ^^

• roboticspace

roboticspace Big Damn Hero

really looking forward to this mod! ive been looking for something like that!!