News from ConcernedApe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jerev, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-progress-update-second-console-patch-localization-and-more/

Announcement of the news on twitter:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/821882049875193856

Zidane471 posted this in two threads already, but I thought that it deserves it's own discussion. The most important information for me is that multiplayer won't be happening in the next two months and that CA has his hands full with optimizing the game for controllers. It seems that we will have to wait some time before we get new content or the multiplayer. As long as both are going to be great I am ok with waiting.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    • Zidane471

Zidane471 Industrial Terraformer

*laughs* Thanks for the shout out, seeing my name mentioned gave me a good giggle.

Frankly, in my opinion the game was done the day it released. Everything else is icing to the tasty, tasty cake. I don't mind waiting for seconds. (Which I will now be able to share with my friends.)

• Jerev

Well @Zidane471 I would never have taken notice of the news for some time if you hadn't mentioned it so fast. So I thought that some giving credit was due ;)
        I liked the game from the start too. But with the released version I had enough after around 70 hours. After patch 1.1 I am currently at 268 hours and counting so that seemed to have rounded the game up for me. At the moment I got 3 to 4 friends who want to play as soon as we can coop. That's were my wish for coop and more content originates.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Kind of non-news in a sense, if you follow me--and that's not an attack. I'm interested in multiplayer, but not enough to make it a concern. I'm sure it'll happen. CA's a fine developer who more than fulfills his promises.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
          • Chazprime

Chazprime Void-Bound Voyager

Guess that explains this:

IMG_0359.JPG

• roacher

roacher Void-Bound Voyager

and a very SLOW developer.....:facepalm:
              2013 ~ 2016 = singleplayer
              See you in 2019 multiplayer:casper:

• Jerev

You did read the news which said that there are now two developer teams who work on multiplayer and localization? He is working on optimizing the game for use of controllers.

• Zidane471

Goodness, that statement almost makes me forget that a single person learned C++ and made a game that sold 2 million copies by himself, all on zero budget.

But seriously, Stardew Valley is a game that on its own, at launch, could have reasonably sold for $29.99. Not only was it half that but CA has given us one content update and the promise of multiplayer when he doesn't owe us either. If the coffee takes a few extra minutes to heat up I'll gladly wait. It'll just make dessert that much more enjoyable.

Neosaneo and Borodin like this.
                  • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Are you unaware that CA developed SDV as a one-person project? That puts a different spin on the idea of his being a slow developer. Perhaps "single-minded," or "determined," would be better.

Of course, if you have personal knowledge that multiplayer won't be available until 2019, I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing more in detail, as well as your sources. Hey, feel free to provide these. <g>

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

He did already put a couple of years of development work into multiplayer as late as 2015, with plans to release it as part of the first set of features. But later he decided to revise his plans and concentrate on getting the single-player core game as polished as possible for initial release. Without knowing just how much coding was already in place, we can't say how much work the secondary developers will have to put in-- but 2017 was announced for the planned release of multiplayer, and so far, we have nothing to contradict that. Like most of the players here, I bought Stardew knowing what was in it, and I'm more than happy with the product as it stands. Anything else he adds will be a nice bonus, but as far as I'm concerned CA's already done a fantastic job.

• Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

Also keep in mind that he designed every detail of the game himself, including the music. He's made Forbes 30 under 30 list, which is super hard to do. The success of SDV probably means that we'll get a SDV 2, etc. And to be honest I have some mixed feelings about that. I loved the SNES Harvest Moon. The N64 one just blew me away, though. Still one of my all-time favorite games: there was just something special about it. It had so much heart, and then the series kind of went downhill after that. Not that they were bad games...but the more successful the series became, the more they left behind the elements I'd fallen in love with. So I'd rather just have one amazing SDV than an increasing string of them that have become profit-focused and commercialized. Hope that makes sense.

• Timedye

Timedye Subatomic Cosmonaut

As much as I want multiplayer co-op, I think fixing the save issues, fixing the sound issues, and improving controller support are a lot more important right now.

Pangaea likes this.
                          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

CA stated in an interview (I believe it was at PAX West.) that he very much wants to work on some new projects in the near future. While that doesn't rule out the possibility of sequels, I'm hoping he means he wanted to turn his creative efforts into something totally new once he's gotten Stardew to where he wants it to be. And since he /is/ a one-man operation (essentially-- yes, he's getting some help with porting and multiplayer, but he's still calling the shots), there is no corporate board or set of marking geniuses to force him into making any sequels he doesn't want to make. Fingers crossed!

• AndrewH

AndrewH Master Chief

Also, since when is 4 years a slow development cycle? I can't think of many decent games that have been significantly shorter. The development time isn't from when you first hear about a game to when it comes out - there's usually been years of work before then.

• GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

Just to point out, this statement is flat out false.

He does owe us multiplayer because he blatantly promised the multiplayer was going to be part of the game back when it was still in development. This isn't a case of the game that was promised is done but he's adding these extras in free because he's a nice guy. He promised a game, delivered 2/3 of it and we are still waiting on the other 1/3 to be delivered.

To be clear I'm not saying this as an attack on CA. I absolutely love the game (and have put a ridiculous amount of hours into it) and I trust that he will get the multiplayer finished and released when it is ready, but it is a fact that he does owe players the promised multiplayer content and the fact that the product delivered is already great on it's own doesn't change that. Whether you are a single person dev or a AAA team when you promise a feature and sell the product on the basis that the feature is coming then you deliver on that promise or face the rightfully unhappy customers.

• Zidane471

An inquiry on this because I can't find any information on it. How was Stardew Valley funded? I can't find any evidence of a kickstarter or fund raising campaign.

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

i don't really care about multiplayer so it doesn't affect me very much to be honest.

i do look forward to when it comes out so he can finally focus on other stuff though.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

You're of course always welcome to your point of view. But I think it's safe to say many people feel he's developed more than a game's worth of enjoyment in what we have. Each to their own, I suppose. Keeps life interesting.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

While I agree that it is more than worth its price tag, I also feel that once something is promised then it is owed. From my understanding it wasn't a maybe if I have time, it was a I AM going to give you this. If I'm wrong on that front, I apologize.

If that is correct, however, then it is owed. Yes, he has done many things out of the kindness of his heart with 1.1. I'm not arguing against that either. But I feel as if people should be a little more careful with what the promise. I mean no disrespect, and in many ways he had passed the torch and the wait and such is in another's hands. But the wait isn't the meat of the matter,

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I'm curious: when did CA first state he was going to add multiplayer? Anybody have a link?