1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Promised Feature : Serverside Characters

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Nephiral, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Nephiral

Nephiral Aquatic Astronaut

When is it going to happen so i can finally run a large scale server for starbound and speak confidently about it on stream as being something worth playing? It could be with this single feature but has been holding me back for a long time.

2. H4Mm3r

H4Mm3r Void-Bound Voyager

Really need this feature. It's why I'm waiting to launch my server till 2 years...

I dont understand why it's not done yet, and considered as a priority...

It's very difficult to me to understand who thought it was a good idead to save it client side.. who and why...

3. Nephiral

Nephiral Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah it's the one thing that has ultimately held many communities back from hosting this game or pushing to create mods for this game cause in the end people can just cheat their way through anything and join then wreck a multiplayer server.

4. MajorCyto

MajorCyto Phantasmal Quasar

Agreed :]

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Because it makes sense.

For me, my biggest reason for wanting client side characters (And by extension, mods) is because I have personal tweaks that I consider essential to playing the game. Losing these tweaks would hinder enjoyment of the game.

And yes, I do completely understand the argument against it and to an extent I agree with the main issues. Griefing and importing stupidly overpowered items and whatnot are a problem, however, those can be handled with via other features that would be more helpful. We need a permission system. Off the bat, you could lock out new characters from being able to manipulate blocks, you could limit control to individual planets, set groups, etc. And if someone brings in overpowered weapons and other items, then they should be banned anyway.

If they want to add server side characters as an option, sure, won't argue there, but if it were made mandatory, then I would have problems with that.

Serverside characters is not really addressing the larger issue with server management. We need proper control, and serverside characters doesn't provide that, it just mitigates one issue.

6. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Please add more than a single word to a reply. 1 word posts are considered spam.

Back onto topic:

Serverside characters I hope isn't a feature. And if so, its optional. I'm with @lazarus78 with this. Its a feature that isn't favoured by everyone. But I can understand why you would want it implemented.