1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was so much content removed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by harrydm98, Feb 14, 2017.

1. harrydm98

harrydm98 Void-Bound Voyager

Don't get me wrong, I love Starbound, and mods, servers, and custom items have helped tremendously in keeping things interesting.

But, why was so much content removed before the full release of the game, and never brought back?
    • 2 bosses (the only one I see as justified since bosses are a big deal)
    • 212 codexes, many of which still fit seamlessly into the game after the lore was rewritten (including 12 Hiraki Corale books, do you know how excited me and my best friend got every time we found a Hiraki Corale book? "Hey, Hiraki Corale! Here you read it out loud." and after that we would scour the area with just that much more pep.)
    • Dozens of legendary weapons that could easily be rebalanced if needed
    • Racial weapons
    • Outpost side quests
    • Foods
    • Techs
    • Various microdungeons
    Over 1000 things have been removed for no given reason. I want to know why that was, and why they haven't been put back in.

I've already heard a few explanations, and believe them to be inadequate.
    • Placeholder content: The sheer volume and amount of effort evidently put in to this stuff makes it hard to just brush off as placeholder content. People liked these items and removing them was only detrimental, there was simply no reason to remove these things when they were good content. They were enjoyable, rewarding, and added to the play time.
    • Balance: Rebalancing any removed weapons to fit 1.0+ balance would take almost no effort at all.
    • Do not fit the lore: Only applicable to some of the codexes. Some.
    Just-...why?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Ironbeak

Ironbeak Big Damn Hero

I ALSO miss all these things, especially the old lore books. I suppose some of the old bosses don't fit neatly into the story progression anymore, but I think some of them could be added back into the game as outpost quests. Which I also miss.

I thought I heard that some of the food and items might be added back in at some point? Don't actually know if that's true.

3. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

what bosses were cut?

4. Megumin

Megumin Guest

you forgot about Optimization module

5. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

the jellyfish, the robot,

a bit strange you often involve yourself in discussions about the old and new starbound takign a stance o how the new one is better, yet you know so little about the old one. makes me start thinking those replies are trolling.

Pingeh likes this.
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Oh, don't start.

7. ImHereForTheMods

ImHereForTheMods Cosmic Narwhal

I agree totally with you, and, I see no reason for them to remove such things... Maybe it was to make it more polished for official release (or so they thought it'd be moreover polished). I really missed the USCM bunker dungeons, which are now absent from 1.0,

Thankfully fracking universe brings back that dungeon and various others (which tbh, I can understand why some were removed from seeing them, such as the gravityless dungeon with the apes with wings, which is sorta bland).

However fracking universe also adds a bunch of stuff I am not too fond of, so...

As far as racial weapons being removed, I have literally no idea why they would. It makes sense that each race would have their own weapons, not just all the same.

I am doing a little project (well, actually a huge project) to bring back racial weapons, but it's only got the avian weapons somewhat finished so far.

Another thing I.miss though, is the non-procedurally generated staffs, like the boulder staff... it was nice to have some staffs that all did something special, instead of a randomized staff with similar abilities, and just different elemental damage.

Anyways, yeah, that's all I know on the matter.

8. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Pangalactic Porcupine

proud. if you want them back......as a mod.....I have this to offer.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=749342005&searchtext=

if you search the steam workshop you can find the old techs including the butterfly tech
    the old component and crafting system...eg diamond and core frags to upgrade module

I just wish there was a way to restore the old toolbar.
    it had a function i loved ...eg using toolbar slots as inventory slots...meaning instruments would play though almost everything

9. ImHereForTheMods

wait... so bringing back the racial weapons has already been done?
    I just wasted so much time then... Heh... heh...

Ah well, I guess I'll finish mine anyway.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

To be fair, the reason Fatal Circuit was removed is that it apparently acted like Shockhopper, which replaced it pre-1.0
    The former was replaced because, apparently, the way it was even required to be fought: Getting a Processor (bosses were summoned back then and FC was summoned by building it, so it was weird for a robot to be made to be fought and obtain a processor when all logic would have hinted to directly making the Processor).
    Racial Weapons were all just resprites of each other. I guess they were removed because simply using the same weapons for everyone was simpler, took less space, and avoided making a race flag for a lot of recipes. Personally, I didn't like them, but I still don't get why Novakids are still the only race that can craft guns from the start, or why they didn't make racial weapons actually important by making everyone craft unique weapons, as Blueprints could have been used to be able to craft the weapons from other races.
    As for the Codexes, that was probably to put the new history, but, frankly, the current codexes are now more boring. For starters, it was implied by pre-1.0 codexes that the Miniknog's experiments were part of a project to create super-soldiers. Now they do the experiments so they...Can look less ape-like again, which feels rather weird, considering that it isn't explained WHY the Miniknog wants to have Apex-kind be human-like again.
    Another one is the case of the Floran codex. The old one had more memorable characters, and it generally feels like the current one didn't actually require replacing the old one (In fact, having both would have been better, as the current one has less notable characters, while the past one made Florans look like the "Their aggressive nature appears to be borne from a lack of a concept of non-plant life as opposed to outright contempt. Owing to their relatively young age as a species, this tenet dominates their culture and justifies their treatment of visiting races, though there are signs of some beginning to question this, implying that Floran individuals might not be inherently “evil” as previously thought." line in their official introduction was an informed fact (By the game itself, there were so few sympathetic Florans that they felt like a near-Always Chaotic Evil race).
    Other examples would be the human Codex: They used to have a more hopeful future in spite of not having the Protectorate, and weren't so Mary Sue-ish: They had futuristic tech, but the Apex beat them (Althrough it is still implied that the former were catching up to the latter or even surpassed them in the informatics field), for example. Now almost everyone likes them, they got the best Cultivator artifact by far, etc... And yet they're now more screwed over by the destruction of Earth than pre-1.0 (Where it was shown that they were planning to retake it).

As for Techs and Foods, I really don't get it, either.
    Outpost side quests were all merely fetch quests. In fact, the only reason they were even manageable was that they involved bringing 3D-printable items to NPCs in the worst cases. Of course, this is a case similar to racial weapons: CF could have replaced the fetch sidequests with genuinely unique sidequests instead of removing them.

S.A.A. and Pingeh like this.
  11. Forcedminer

sorry to disappoint you. X.X

if anything the part that had taken the longest was getting the damage just right....

I got the weapon sprites but they were all orange....previously you could dye weapons..they got removed...................
    had to paint the sprite the correct color....thankfully the wiki still holds all the weapons.

naming them all correctly had taken a long time but it was easy....used alot of macros and notepad++'s search for exact word..replace apex with floran.

did the trial and error until the damage was correct. something damage something dps = weapon damage.

got the old materials steel,rubium,impervium,Cerulium and craftable same with the weapons

got all the weapons aligned

and thanks to The Honey Badger i was able to make them spawn in lockers.

12. ImHereForTheMods

Can relate, is a lot of work. Though, I already did so much, to get the base started, might as well finish.
    Still got to add all but avian though.. haha..
    I guess mine is a tad different anyway.

I replaced impervium, and all those removed materials with solarium, and violium, and existing ores, and colored accordingly.
    Also, where I liked the default (dyeable) coloring better, I just left it, and added copper to the recipie to justify it.

Mine'll probably just be craftable anyway as well.

Your mod does look super awesome though, and good job on it!

13. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

maaaaaan I forgot about those! the robot one was removed rather quickly (or it felt like it), and I don't think I ever played the jellyfish one.

also, no need to be a salty sally lol. 2-3 years is a long time to remember when, y'know, things get crazy.

so, okay. let's get into the nitty-gritty. why exactly would be fight these bosses again, to keep with the lore? the jellyfish just kind of... happened, y'know. no precedent. and the robot's schematics were reportedly dumped in a landfill, and then stolen and copied. doesn't say by who, or what. so how did the player character come into possession of the schematics, and for what reason we fight them? we don't need the processor anymore, since the item was changed to a different crafting station that doesn't require robotic components to function. we don't need the endomorphic jelly, since the only reason it was fought was to progress into the end-game Sector X, which doesn't exist anymore.

I mean, I guess you could work out a random reason like, "a robot/jelly is attacking this planet," and that'd be all cool. but I think CF is a little more focused on making what they have more expansive, instead of adding in/changing old stuff for no true benefit.

M_Sipher and Never like this.
  14. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It is a mix of reasons.

Some of it was indeed placeholder content. Others were simply test content to play with potential mechanics. And [most] others were simply not in line with their vision for what they wanted the game to be. All games go through this.

The overall reason? Because chucklefish didn't want them in their game. No convoluted reasoning here.

15. Forcedminer

are we not allowed reminisce when the game was in a different state?
    i seem to always see you shooting down other players who reminisce on the previous versions.

S.A.A. and xaliber like this.
  16. lazarus78

Its called a reality check. By all means, enjoy your rose tinted glasses. I do my fair share of if with many things, but at the end of the day, we need to remember that they are just glasses. The saving grace here is that we have modding, so if you miss something, you are more than welcome to make it again.

Plex_Director likes this.
  17. MistyTheNeko

MistyTheNeko Ketchup Robot

It's quite possible that I may receive some sort of backlash for no reason, but I am quite disappointed in many cosmetics being removed after 1.0

S.A.A. likes this.
  18. lazarus78

Could you list specifically what cosmetics were removed?

This thread is a little misleading. over 1000 items have not been removed, but over 1000 things.

http://starbounder.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Removed&pageuntil=Cattlekiller#mw-pages

This includes items, objects, quests, and many other things.

19. MistyTheNeko

MistyTheNeko Ketchup Robot

Can't exactly explain, but the majority of it consisted of Felin cosmetics and such. All of which can be regained with mods.

20. lazarus78

Uhh... what? Felins are from a mod. Very few cosmetic items have been actually removed.

http://starbounder.org/Cosmetic_Armor

Kawa likes this.