FTL Recruitment thread: The Federation needs you!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Arnust, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

For those who don't know, FTL:Faster Than Light is a top-down RTwP roguelike strategy game centered around management of a FTL Travel able space craft and most of its aspects, like crew, systems, weapons, layout, life support, boarding and countering it, hull, shields, etcetera.

There's a Zero Punctuation video too.

The objective is to deliver a package of information crucial for the Federation's victory against the Rebel menace at the main base, eight sectors away from the startng point. Each sector, has around 20 beacons each and an Exit leading to the next, but in the way all kinds of events pop up, that range from free guns to kneecapping if greedy.

Becouse as of late I'm playing it more, I felt like customizing some runs and leaving a log of them.

Now all the customizable things are:

1. Name of the ship
    2. Crew names and races, up to eight members can be controlled and can be renamed on the fly
    3. Whatever comes to mind; NO SLUGS ON MY WATCH

Others that require more knowledge about the game are:

Attitude; righteous, foul and piracy-happy or bystander?
    Difficulty and Advanced Edition y/n
    Ship class, list here: http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Player_ships

When I follow the suggestions, I'll try and get a little log of how it went in the thread.

Feel free to offer yourselves to be vented off to deep space, explode in friendly fire, get eaten by giant alien spiders and overall suffer. A lot.

FTL as a whole isn't off-topic of course.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Chris Avellone was guest writer! #Bait

2. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Welp. Did a run with the Starbound NPCs but we died horribly to giant alien spiders

3. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Identificator : Kreton
    Crew List : Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob The Handlar, Bob Cena and Bob Pilot
    Ship Class : Modified Federation Cruiser Type B
    Notes : Bob Cena is the only Mantis on the ship, Bob The Handlar is a slug, the rest is human
    Mission Difficulty Permission : Advanced Missions
    Captain's Words of Wisdom : If you buy from slugs, you need a slug to don't get scammed.

Arnust likes this.
  4. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Nice, will do. They'll all be called "Bob" in the list though

Also Mind Control can counter being conned or sabotaged in that event, right?

5. MrVauxs

I think only from Pirates, remember Slugs are immune to Mind Control !
    Also my favourite tracks from FTL are :

Space Cruise (Title)

MilkyWay (Explore)

and Civil (Explore)

6. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

What? No Hacking Malfunction?

Also, I have like 140 hours already. Only thing left is Rock Cruiser, a pair of B Layouts and half the C Layouts, and the Crystal Cruiser, plus beating it at least once with every ship in Hard. Was too busy listening podcasts and unlocking stuff so that I've actually only beaten it 6 times, lol

7. MrVauxs

Oh i was talking about Normal Soundtrack
    For Advanced Yes, Hacking Malfunction and Space Station (2009)

8. MrVauxs

140 Hours and Still not all ships? LOL
    This is my 23 hour progress ;)
    20170226214310_1.jpg

9. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Well it's a go-to game for me. I listen podcasts and music while playing it most of the time, and get distracted. Also, only play in hard 75% and Normal 25% the time, always with AE on. off the normal ships only the Rock is out and I only have to beat it with the Slug ship. Was completely blind out of how to get the Crystal too.
    Aaaand use a lot of Captain's Edition, that makes you almost re-learn everything. Will not use it again until I get almost all the layouts unlocked though.

10. MrVauxs

Your points and mine
    1. I don't, the music in FTL is beautiful why would you don't listen to it?
    2. Mhm, Ok i play Normal 100% of the time but always Advanced Edition
    3. I try to use every ship, but my favourite is Federation Cruiser. Also i hate the dodge based one, you know with stealth instead of shields
    4. I need to use Captain's Edition now, im addicted to it lol

11. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

I'm addicted to the Stealth Cruiser, it's probably a good source of losses but I don't care. Both layouts A and B are good on their own thing. They have good basic systems and venting, and it's a very engaging playstyle; you one-shot the enemy or you fail trying. It's more punishing in Hard as scrap is harder to come by so Shields take even more to get.

I LOVE the music in this game, but after 50 hours I put it on for every few runs, it's to not get tired of it. I almost always enbale it back for The Last Stand, mind.

I'd hold on to getting the CE mod as it changes a lot, and it's harder IMO.

12. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Welp, managed to get the Bob squad together. Slugs are best served as pilots, btw. There's a reason why I don't like the Federation ships that much (In Hard, at least). Unless one gets a strike of luck, it's a disaster waiting to happen. For this case, found NO shops until sector 3, and then my last hull point was blown by a missile a jump away from one.

13. MrVauxs

I just shoot the weapons and shields to get to weapons
    I don't care if people die, i have clone bay
    I don't care if it's useless, i have my beam
    I don't care if i just ion-ize everything, i have my beam for destroying ships
    That's my main point about federation cruiser

14. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

That's cool, but I kinda prefer the A layout. One of the better weapons of the game off the start. Another thing that it has going for it is the varied crew, B has only a Zoltan and Slug, while the other a Mantis, an Engi and a Rockman.

15. MrVauxs

I also like the A layout, just trying to play more with B/C layouts these days.
    Also these two are the only one's i need
    Zoltan is perfect for shields (my strategy is to just fill the weapon and shield rooms with zoltans)
    And Slug's are well... telephatic
    Rock is slow so extuingishing fires can be very intense.
    Engi is only for repairs, other than that they are useless (like why have an engi when you have 4 shields?)
    And Mantis again like Engi, but to fight so if you don't have a teleporter... they are useless

16. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Engi are the race that has more Blue events, Iirc. And it leads to rewards for the most part, at one you can get the "Virus" or die in exchange for a normal one. How many times have you lost crew becouse the Oxigen or Doors wasn't fixed on time and had no Clonebay?
    Slugs are best placed in piloting becouse A) They don't have anything more in special and B They won't suddenly turn against the Piloting system so no surprise drops to o-10% Evasion becouse of the pilot going crazy.
    Also Rocks should never die in a 1v1 fight even against a Mantis, they'll only lose if the enemy has a higher Borarding skill.
    Tbh you only need another spare crew, even a human and a TP and you're set, extra scrap from near get-go to fund any build.

A thing I like about Cloaking is that it mostly saves the 4th Shield bubble or makes Zoltan Shield even more awesome. Instead of munching through the Power Surge, the 3rd Phase burst and projectile volleys all the way, you just cloak away, breathe, charge weapons and if you are doing well, the Flagship is nearly disabled after the cloak. Also it's super cathartic the TPHWOOOM "Ha! Fuck your missiles!"

17. MrVauxs

Beacuse i don't get them, at least when i don't have one ironically. Also the virus is kinda helpfull but idk what to do with him beacuse he is SO handsome... like put him in weapons? make him fight? pilot?

Two times if i recall correctly. If i ever have this situation i must have a terrible ship.
    Yes i love that too the fuck you i dodged everything feeling
    But I hate having no safety while the cloaking is recharging, the only way to survive is to just dodge, which is % based which means the game is gonna mostly kick your balls
    I hate the cloaking ship beacuse 1. It's very easy to lose early wasting everyones time and 2. You said you just one shot them with this ship, yeah get me a one shot build not including at least 2 shields and 4 flaks. Not also talking about your starter weapon pfft

18. MrVauxs

I just kill off everyone in the ship, i basically win having an ION or Rocket Minigun, or how i said 4 flaks
    [​IMG]

19. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

To be fair by one-shot I meant the B Layout's Glaive Beam mainly, a single laser enables it truly though. A is a bit weaker all around but has 4 Engines.

If you placed perfectly your Cloak, lvl 2 or better, 3, only -12 second reload weapons can fire twice in the fight.