Modding Help Help ! Modding hair ( 2 Questions )

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Ba.mbie, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Ba.mbie

Ba.mbie Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi, so I hope someone is able to help me, I am a first time modder. :catxD: I followed this guide ( http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-xnb-node-and-graphics-editing.110976/ ) and managed to get everything right. YASSS :nurucool:

So I stared editing the png and did a little test to see if it worked and it did !!! :catsparkle:

So here are my 2 questions :-

1. Is there any way to edit hair/clothes/accessories etc on the actual base of the character ? ( I am having trouble visualising what it will look like on the base/the orientation)

2. How do you get more space on the png ( hair for example hairstyles.png ) It cuts off in the game.

Edit 3. If you know of any free software for pixel art please give me a shout.

I hope I explained that ok, if not let me know and I will try again:nuruflirt:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

1. You could extract the farmer base png and put it in a layer underneath the hair, just make sure you remove it when you save your new hair png!!
      2. If i'm to believe what I've heard, its not possible to get more room on the sprite sheets, You have to work with what you're given

• ShamanKem84

ShamanKem84 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To the second Question: Make a 32 x 32 Pixel Grid then you see how much space you have.

• Ba.mbie

Hi, thanks very much for taking the time to answer me. I will definitely try that for question 1. Maybe it just looks bigger to me but other hairstyles ( that other modders have done ) seen seem larger than the space provided.

Thank you !

• Ba.mbie

Sorry I dont quite follow you, if I am editing the existing hair,they are all on one png.

• maxiner

maxiner Scruffy Nerf-Herder

here's a 32 x 32 pixel grid:
              idk who created this opps

[​IMG]

• Ba.mbie

Oh I see, I thought that it was actually going to create more space but this shows the dividing lines which you should work in, correct?

• ShamanKem84

ShamanKem84 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes and in the most graphic apps you can show a grid to help you. I use Aseprite and there its under View -> Grid -> Grid Settings

• Ba.mbie

Okie Dokie, Thanks

• obayon

obayon Space Hobo

Oh, my gosh, I know this is a dead thread but thank you for the reference base thing! That helped me a ton to know where my space was.