1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Monster Spawning Advice- Reincarnation of Lemmy?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mythril-Jelly, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So the past couple weeks I'd been studying more complex usage of the /spawnmonster command, looking deeper into this it seems you can select individual parts by name, but these names are not listed anywhere and I'm unsure how to export my .pak files to look for the names, without potentially ruining the backups in the process to get them. It seems you can also give them unique attacks and resistances, and since Lem lived on a volcanic world granting lava immunity and giving a flamethrower would make Lem even cooler.

Long story short, this is a classic case of the "Missing Derrick" a beloved pet from earlier builds, but it seems unlike Derrick, Lem's parts remain in game and haven't been removed.

I saw a monster with the same "helmet lizard" headpiece today and it made me realize how I miss the little bugger. Apparently it would take a bit of work but it's possible.

[​IMG]
    I couldn't find the screenshots on my old computer, so I made a mock sprite here with recent monster screenshots. It's not exact, but it's close enough to be the same little armored lizard.

I've been also going over this video here a fair bit, I'll be honest in that I'm still quite confused, but it seems pretty much everything I wanted to do is possible via the command. I think the last step is to find the names of all the parts without messing up.

Thanks, by the way!~

2. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Mmmmmmmm, I think I might be able to help, lemme study my folder lel

If you can do the colors right, idk but I can find the part names for u ^~^

Head: smalllizardshellhead
    Chest: smallvolcanochest
    Tail: smallrextail

That was a pain to find, but I think you are missing the legs :/
    I don't have a good look at them.

Alternatively, I can teach you how to unpack your assets.
    I figured I'd help you since you cared enough to even include cut sprites from multiple screen shots and you created a thread. It must mean something to you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Mythril-Jelly likes this.
  3. Mythril-Jelly

Hm, thanks! I'll start experimentation right away.
    The colours might be tricky, but I can just spawn them until I get a match I suppose.

I might still look into unpacking one if it's possible, maybe unpack Unstable separately if I can and use it as an info cache. I'll still need to look into legs and attacks, maybe some colours later but I hear those are hard. Either way I'm already quite a bit ahead of where I was previously! Thanks again!~

Current "Test model"

[​IMG]

/spawnmonster smallquadruped 1 '{"A companion to felines everywhere.":"Lemmy", "description":"These reptiles generate their own heat.", "skillCount":1, "specialSkills":["chargeAttack"], "selectedParts":{"legs":"smallthicklegs", "chest":"smallvolcanochest", "head":"smalllizardshellhead", "tail":"smallrextail"}}'

Edit: it seems it was a projectile value where it was invalid. The above now properly spawns the test subject, but in random colours.

Dekadrachm likes this.
  4. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Unpacking won't harm your saves and it just so happens I have a tool for it. Look in my mods on my profile for the unpacker. You should be able to use it.

5. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

can this also be done for spawning npcs?

Been farming for crew members for almost a week, and the legit way seems to mess with me. Took me a week to find my first human campsite and 6 out of 7 npcs i recruited ended up as tailor.
    And those which i do find satisfying become sword user instead of pistol user.

Editing the .player file doesnt seem to do much, only dublicating them without applying the changes.

Now im just using admin commands to spawn them again and again, pick the potential good one and let the rest fight to their death against level 10 spawned monsters, but even so its hard to get the ones i want.

So if theres a way to edit crewmember through savefile editing or specify the detail while spawning them, that would be great.

6. Mythril-Jelly

Alright, ran it. Should be a lot easier when I can browse through the part/attack names, seems I can preview most of them too which is nice.

My first "model" is stable now it seems, now it's up to experimentation... and experiment I shall!~

7. Mythril-Jelly

If there is, I am unaware for the moment. I do know you can do this to an extent if you have Create-A-Friend and Job Offers, but that's still limited as it takes a set amount of npc presets. You could do that pretty easy and remove the mods after, though you'd want to remove any related placed items first. (Like a NPC spawn pad or crafting station)

Otherwise I'm not too sure, but that's what I did to make a custom crew along with another one to edit their uniforms individually. Doing that in vanilla will be another story for sure.

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Man, if someone can compile all the names for monster parts spawning... I miss my white-and-pink skullhead turtle-lizard.

Doesn't need to attack or anything, just be adorable.

Mythril-Jelly likes this.
  9. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

could, but that'd be hella time consuming and annoying

10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I used to do video game guidebooks. Mostly JRPGs. Tons of charts. I know from tedious listmaking. I thrive on it.

Unfortunately, I also have the coding aptitude of an unbaked croissant, otherwise I'd have dug into the games guts and done this myself.

11. Mythril-Jelly

I may just do that after I finish my little Lemmy clone here. I could take the images and combine them into a guide sheet, listing the names below them for easy spawning reference. I did notice there were no threads or cheat sheets up yet... and I have a lot of time on my hands now so why not?
    It would take quite a while, so I'd split them into monster types. Small bipeds and large quadrupeds separate for example, to save space and avoid errors.

The last little challenge here I'm currently facing is the game accepting colour codes, and me knowing their order. I've been working on putting two types of clones together, a smaller companion to wear the Oblivious collar, and a larger attack variant capable of fire breath. I may go back and add in sounds after, but I need to make a stable coloured clone first. The current ones are sort of without shading whatsoever or unable to spawn due to an unidentified error on my part.

The current test "combat" unit. When the colour codes are stable, I will copy them to the "pet" unit.
    It heals slowly over time, is immune to lava and resists fire, and has ranged fire based attacks. But it's colours are... notably flawed. For now.

/spawnmonster largequadruped 2 '{"scale":1.2, "colorSwap":{"6f2919":"b09d5f", "a85636":"b09d5f", "e0975c":"b09d5f", "ffca8a":"b09d5f", "735e3a":"000000", "a38d59":"191919", "d9c189":"3f3f3f", "f7e7b2":"666666", "951500":"65B37B", "be1b00":"F1C40F", "dc1f00":"F1C40F", "f32200":"F1C40F"},"shortdescription":"Megalemdon", "description":"Megalemdon", "selectedParts":{"chest":"largevolcanochest","head":"largelizardshellhead","legs":"largegatorlegs","tail":"largerextail"},"movementSettings":{"walkSpeed":7, "runSpeed":18},"skillCount":4, "specialSkills":["flameBurstAttack","fireballAttack"], "statusSettings":{"stats":{"lavaImmunity":{"baseValue":1.0}, "poisonStatusImmunity":{"baseValue":0.0}, "electricStatusImmunity":{"baseValue":0.0}, "fireStatusImmunity":{"baseValue":1.0}, "iceStatusImmunity":{"baseValue":0.0}, "fireResistance":{"baseValue":0.9}, "electricResistance":{"baseValue":0.0}, "iceResistance":{"baseValue":-0.5}, "poisonResistance":{"baseValue":0.0}, "physicalResistance":{"baseValue":0.2}, "maxHealth":{"baseValue":150}, "protection":{"baseValue":0.50}, "healthRegen":{"baseValue":2.0}}}, "behaviorConfig":{"projectileOffset":[1.0, 1.5]}}

12. xiangyu

xiangyu Space Hobo

Can you tell me how to find these words?
    Just like "statusSettings" "behaviorConfig" "selectedParts"
    Are these in the data of the game itself?