Modding Discussion Need weapon suggestions

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DraikNova, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I'm working on a mod that reimplements biome-specific weapons, and I'd prefer
    to avoid going for the same old "sword with a status effect", "sword that fires a projectile" or "gun that fires something weird" things. So, I'm making this topic so that people can submit their ideas for new weapon types. The weirder the mechanics of the weapon, the better. As stated earlier, a gun that just fires a particularly impressive bullet/explosive isn't what this topic is for. Stuff like the alien worm gun is a lot closer, and a flail with a limited reach whose damage depends on the speed of the head hits the bullseye of what this topic is for.

Current ideas:
    • Flail: limited reach, click and hold to spawn in the projectile and move the projectile around. The projectile gathers speed as it moves, and loses it as it moves outside of the weapon's reach; the higher the speed, the more damage it does.
    • Catcher: like a spear with claws on the end, but rather than being a weapon you can hold out to damage incoming enemies, it can be used to almost permanently trap normal enemies hit by the initial strike and damage them continously. Basically, you close the jaws at the end on one or more enemies, and it holds them in place (like a localized and specific version of the attraction field) while the jaws crush them. For balance's sake, this weapon has a slow rate of fire, and the specials selection is devoted almost entirely to dealing with enemies that aren't affected by the trapping mechanic, like bosses.
    • Pseudomounts: weapons that act like vehicles as their alts, albeit without health, no need to deploy them, and the ability to do damage, all at very low energy cost. Kind of gimmicky, and probably better suited as an alt-fire than a main fire in most cases, but sufficiently different from normal weapon abilities that I felt I should include it.
    • Summoning weapons: spawns in a projectile stream from the position of the weapon; this projectile stream follows the mouse, and can attack directly, via contact damage, or indirectly, by firing projectiles.
    • Synchronization weapons: these that are entirely geared around making other weapons more effective. For example, they might inflict status effects that make other weapons' attacks more powerful.
    • Viral weapons: produce liquids that inflict an unique status effect on an enemy, which causes them to produce more of the liquid.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

golden gun that one-shots any mob, but only with a specific set of "armor" with negative stats, can't damage any boss, and disappears once used once. costs 1000000000 pixels

3. Melendroach

Melendroach Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, this has um... potential, but why would you want to one shot a mob for 10005815775690349958 pixels? If it doesn't work on bosses then what's the purpose, to kill punchy? Makes no sense.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

That's...kinda the opposite of what I'm looking for. That's just a really powerful, really useless gun. I mean, yeah, it can kill punchy, but so can just dumping him in lava.

5. Nexus Of Chaos

the point was a joke weapon, "golden gun" as in 007

6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, but, well, did you read the first post at all? This is for weapon types, not specific weapons. If your joke was a weapon type that required a ridiculously complicated series of actions to be performed to work properly, it would have made sense.

7. Nexus Of Chaos

well, i didn't see it say weapon types. misread. i'll just go with what u just said a possibility would b

8. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I was actually working on a bunch of monster themed weapons. Various weapons that resemble monsters and share properties such as element and projectiles. (I wouldn't mind you using the idea, that is why I simply threw it out here.)

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I'm not sure the point of this topic is really clear to people, so let me rephrase and restate the purpose of this topic: coming up with new categories of weapons, like the base game has swords, grenade launchers, tentacle guns, etc.

10. Melendroach

Melendroach Subatomic Cosmonaut

I could lend you my idea. I'm working on a mod that adds various weapons from a game brawlhalla. In this game guns are kind of melee weapons, and instead firing bullets, they make a little explosion in front of the user. So I've changed projectile speed to 0, changed hitboxes and voila, I've made a melee gun. I'm doing same thing with bow, and it both looks and feels pretty good and satisfying.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Thanks to ThatThunderCookie, I've come up with another two weapon categories: The first are pseudomount weapons. Basically, these weapons are like little holdable vehicles. They allow you to do damage, but they lack an external health bar, and they can be switched to and from more easily than a normal vehicle, so they're balanced.
    The second type is summoning weapons. These cause a temporary monster-like projectile stream to spawn, which can be moved around to damage enemies. It's halfway between a staff and a rocket launcher's guided rocket special, in that while it can be used to attack around corners with a continous stream of damage like a staff, it spawns in at the weapon and has to be moved around manually to attack; some more advanced/powerful summoning weapons have monsters that will themselves fire at enemies and might be incapable of being used directly for combat.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  12. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I though of a few ideas while I worked on other things, here they are.

A weapon that has two forms. its primary form is strong great with normal attacks but will always have no elemental power; its secondary form is weaker but does have elemental power in its attacks. So you have to chose between using brute force or exploiting an opponent's weakness.

This idea is for weapon ability that could be used for old or new weapons. A counter attack, it plays similarly to the parry weapon ability accept the guard time is much shorter. You would have to use this counter just before you were hit so that you would reflect your opponent's attack.
    If it is you are blocking a melee attack you would cancel the opponent's attack and deal damage to the opponent; if you were blocking a projectile you would simply reflect the projectile; the same way the laser arrows bounce off walls.

If you want to go into armors you could make armors with elemental weaknesses and resistances.

Mirror shields that bounce lasers and elemental attacks with little recoil on the shield health, attempting to reflect anything else will cause large damage to the shield.

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Chucklefish kind of half did this concept when they made the Doomcannon: synchronization weapons. Weapons that aren't so much to be used on their own, but exist to make other weapons better to use. Basically, imagine if the Doomcannon's effect didn't dissipate after one hit, and then think of what you could do with a high-tier machine pistol.

As for this other concept: viral weapons. These weapons produce liquids that inflict an unique status effect on an enemy, which causes them to produce more of the liquid through some mechanism. An example would be some sort of bacterial sludge gun that fires bacterial sludge, causing enemies to take slowly increasing damage while standing in it, and exploding into more sludge when they die.