1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Can barren planets be terraformed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RubytheKatt, May 6, 2017.

1. RubytheKatt

RubytheKatt Space Spelunker

I just wanna know

2. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeppers they can. Every planet can be terraformed.

jonathonspy likes this.
  3. RubytheKatt

Ok, cool!

4. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

There's only two types of "planets" that can't be terraformed, I believe. Asteroid Fields and Ark teleporters. As well as any map that is immune to tile changing (such as mission maps) ofc.

I tested it out with both a moon and an asteroid field. Asteroid fields do not qualify as planets, and therefor cannot be terraformed.

Moons, on the other hand... When a moon-type planet is terraformed, it keeps all the fuel intact, removes the Echerius Ghost, and it keeps the gravity as if it were still a moon. It's probably not completely intended, but hey... It's pretty cool.

It also seems like planet-type specific weather changes as well. With a moon, you can get pretty much only Comet-type weather, however terraforming the moon to be predominantly a certain biome (such as Lush Woodland) activates at least some of the appropriate weather while deactivating biome-locked weather. (such as deactivating Comet weather but activating Rain)

I haven't tried terraforming a moon into a biome higher than Geode, Garden, or Woodland yet, so I'll need to experiment a bit more with that. I'm going to see how a moon biome responds to being terraformed into a Volcanic City or Tundra biome.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

By default, all the regular planets have a gravity of 80, which is considered "earth-like". There was a time when gravity was dependent on planet size. But moons were left with low gravity, probably to make them feel more "spacey" as opposed to a planet, so terraforming them just doesn't alter the gravity, even though it could. Another possible reason for standardizing the gravity was microdungeons. They technically have their own gravity value, so yes, in theory, you could have a dungeon on a planet with lower or higher gravity than that of the planet, which sometimes seemed weird. IE low gravity world then you happen on a glitch castle, and boom, you now move like a brick compared to the low gravity you were just in. Though it was cool for some dungeons. I remember one that was like a sciencey research facility that had moon type gravity throughout it.

oinkgamer likes this.
  6. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Terraforming a planet shouldn't meaningfully impact it's gravity: if anything it's the flora and fauna that should be affected, not the other-way round.

7. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Tho, isn't the moons' gravity linked to the fact that they ain't got atmosphere?

8. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

No, pretty sure it's linked to the size of the body and it's position to larger and smaller gravity wells. Not an astrophysicist, though.

9. RubytheKatt

Wait... terraforming moons removes the Erichus ghost? If I didn't have two engineers in my crew that made it so that I don't need fuel, I would get to terraforming my moon right away

10. Flannel

Yes, it does. Erichus ghost can ONLY spawn on moons, so taking the moon biome out of the equation removes the ghost.

11. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Has anyone tried to terraform the endboss?

12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Even if you could, it is in an instance that resets.

13. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

And I think the spawnrate of the monsters is linked to the instance too, so even if biome changes these wouldn't be affected

14. Flannel

You can't terraform maps that cannot be altered. (such as the outpost)

15. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Thething is, you CAN alter the Ruin grounds

16. Flannel

Really? That's odd. You may be able to then, but it wouldn't be wise in the end since... It's an instance and would just reset, being a waste of essence.

17. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes of course you need to bring a terraformer and enough material to transform it, since leaving it resets it. but at the moment the ruin acts like a regular planet, youc na also build inot it's asteroidlayer and meet regular mobs high in the sky. maybe i sconsole cheta the mats to tets it, the grind in those vaults is a pain.

18. sirpixellot

sirpixellot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is terreforming now?

awesome!

I pre-ordered the game, and played it since, but then there was the update that got rid of the tiered universes, that is when i played less and less.

I recently started up again and am amazed on how much the game has improved,

but terreforming?!?!

that was a great addon

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

how does the whole background change effect work, is that based on tile percentage or something else?

20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Once the Terraformer has hit over 50%, it changes the background. You could have dug out the entire planet and replaced it with stuff that can't be terraformed, and it would still change, it just matters that the terraformer has completed more than 50%.